SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:00 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,060 Posts
Discussion
Anderson PowerPoles

Geting sick of Deans (makin me nervous...had one lose contact and it scared me bad) and I hate EC3's.

I'm just going to make the jump to APP connectors, where's the cheapest place to get them?
I'm probably just going to get about 50 sets, split between the 15 and 30 amp version.
I think I also need a crimper, but right now I just want the cheapest workable one, I'll get a better one later.
Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:16 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,376 Posts
I ordered all my stuff from
http://www.powerwerx.com
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:29 PM
It's all fun till Crunch!
InSane Diego
Joined Jan 2002
1,979 Posts
mAKE THE BIG JUMP AND GO TO 3.5 MM GOLD plated,
or 4 mm or 6mm for really big power, smaller and easier to connect and pull apart.

Crunch
Capt. Crunch is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Crunch
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:03 AM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,829 Posts
I love my Powerpoles.
Ohmic is online now Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:26 AM
Fly it like you STOL it!
Joined Jan 2011
4,060 Posts
Ok, I was thinking of powerwerx but didn't know if there was anything cheaper. Is the pliers type crimper any good or is it worth the $40 for the nicer crimper?
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:29 AM
Fly it like you STOL it!
Joined Jan 2011
4,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Crunch View Post
mAKE THE BIG JUMP AND GO TO 3.5 MM GOLD plated,
or 4 mm or 6mm for really big power, smaller and easier to connect and pull apart.

Crunch
I thought about it, but I know I can be a little careless sometimes and I don't like having the contacts exposed like that....plus that's a lot of soldering to do. I like crimps much better. If it was only a couple planes and batteries it would be one thing, but we're talkin 14+ planes and at least 20 batteries.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:47 AM
Johninarky
Rogers,Arkansas
Joined Jul 2005
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlesslag View Post
Ok, I was thinking of powerwerx but didn't know if there was anything cheaper. Is the pliers type crimper any good or is it worth the $40 for the nicer crimper?
Absolutely it it worth every penny. Powerwerx is also the best place I have found for them. I have been using them for 3 years. From 2s to 6s and 5000 mah. I have never had a problem with them. After you make the crimp, pull on the connector to make sure you got a good one. I use 15,30 & 45 to cover the wire sizes I encounter. You need the wire to fill the hole as much as possible. On really small wires, 22 ga. or so, fold the wire over double and use the 15 amp size. I also use different color housings for each cell size; ie: yellow for 2s, red for 3s, and orange for the esc.
John
jlremr is offline Find More Posts by jlremr
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:25 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Oct 2004
5,965 Posts
Quote:
I struggled for awhile with the el-cheapo crimper. Not worth the poor crimps and frustration. The $39.99 TRIcrimp is well worth it. You have to work at it to get a poor crimp.

Mine is marked and came from West Mountain Radio, but I am quite sure they are the same tool.

I'm hooked on Power Poles - R/C, ham radio, model RR, ...........................

Bill
ebill3 is offline Find More Posts by ebill3
Last edited by ebill3; Nov 10, 2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:18 PM
Colorado Springs, CO.
Joined Mar 2009
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlremr View Post
Absolutely it it worth every penny. Powerwerx is also the best place I have found for them. I have been using them for 3 years. From 2s to 6s and 5000 mah. I have never had a problem with them. After you make the crimp, pull on the connector to make sure you got a good one. I use 15,30 & 45 to cover the wire sizes I encounter. You need the wire to fill the hole as much as possible. On really small wires, 22 ga. or so, fold the wire over double and use the 15 amp size. I also use different color housings for each cell size; ie: yellow for 2s, red for 3s, and orange for the esc.
John
+1 except I don't like the different color housings idea. I prefer red & black housings for positive & negative for better insurance against short circuits
Scarface26 is offline Find More Posts by Scarface26
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:25 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
Joined Jan 2011
4,060 Posts
Yeah, I also thought about it for my model trains, I bet it would make doing hook up on things much, much easier.
I'll get the tricrimp and as many 15/30amp contacts and housings as I can afford for right now. I'm sure I can use em for everything
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:09 PM
Johninarky
Rogers,Arkansas
Joined Jul 2005
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface26 View Post
+1 except I don't like the different color housings idea. I prefer red & black housings for positive & negative for better insurance against short circuits
The negative housing is ALWAYS BLACK.
John
jlremr is offline Find More Posts by jlremr
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:09 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
Joined Jan 2011
4,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlremr View Post
The negative housing is ALWAYS BLACK.
John
Yeah. He meant different colors for the positive...so like red/black, green/black, blue/black, etc
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:11 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,829 Posts
Quote:
Yeah. He meant different colors for the positive...so like red/black, green/black, blue/black, etc
The reason Anderson makes different colors is so that each color could be used for a different voltage. There's even a standardized chart from Anderson fro this and I've posted it before.
Ohmic is online now Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:16 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,965 Posts
Acer has APP at pretty good prices

http://www.acerracing.com/Powerpole_...tors-80-1.html

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:45 AM
United States, MD, Kensington
Joined Dec 2008
331 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I use PP for all my battery to ESC connections, but there's one issue I have (or might have). The disconnect force (how hard you pull to get them apart) is relatively low compared to say, Deans. After sometimes struggling with Deans to get them apart, PP's are nice in this regard. But sometimes after a hard landing (or crash), I find they've come apart by themselves, and I worry a little. I've never had one come apart in flight, though.
michaelingp is offline Find More Posts by michaelingp