SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 09, 2012, 06:38 PM
Joined Mar 2011
27 Posts
Discussion
first sail boat Fairwind

Hey guys,

I just picked up my first sail boat. I got an old fairwind that is in great shape.

I removed the mast and all the rigging and cleaned the hull and decks as its been covered in dust for a few years. the hull has been cleaned up, and back into one piece. hopefully I can head down to the pond on Sunday and take her out for a cruise.

Ill post some pics shortly.
Pursuit is offline Find More Posts by Pursuit
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2012, 06:50 PM
Joined Mar 2011
27 Posts
some pics prior to cleaning

Old Nov 09, 2012, 07:56 PM
Still showing up for breakfast
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuit View Post
some pics prior to cleaning
Nice pics.
No extra charge for the dust?
Hose er down, she looks great.

I'm guessing it was set up for racing since it has no railings or bling
Congratulations!
I'm drooling over the newer ones but my budget won't stretch that far.
lilleyen is offline Find More Posts by lilleyen
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:04 PM
Joined Mar 2011
27 Posts
Best deal ever, the dust came for free!

Im going to set something up for railings. A buddy of mine is the previous owner, he never put the railings on the boat to make it less fragile. He used to take it on his 1:1 boat alot. There will be PLENTY of bling showing up this winter along with some color!
I will be dressing her up all sorts of sexy with all new colors and rigging. I want to keep the mast, but go to all stainless hardware dripping off her shiny new colors, with a little wood in there too! I have the color scheme in mind, just need to locate one color paint.

I had run out of time after cleaning her up, never got time to snap some pics before I headed out for work. The wife said it looks like a different boat.

I have built plenty of RC boats, this is my first sail boat. Im excited!

Tom
Last edited by Pursuit; Nov 09, 2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:09 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,551 Posts
IMO, all the lifelines and other details make them look more toy-like. It looks great how it is now!
Fokker Ace is offline Find More Posts by Fokker Ace
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:55 AM
Joined Mar 2011
27 Posts
I would not put on factory railings, I agree, the look kind of toy like. I am thinking of fabbing up my own creation. If I do it, they will be awesome.

Tom
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:02 PM
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
511 Posts
Nice boat - good buy.....

If you are considering sailing this (and you should) be wary of installing deck fittings that will become snag points for the sheets.

Also (IMHO) the jib boom looks to be very high above the deck - if you can get it down a bit closer to the deck it will sail better as that will lower the CE (centre of effort) reducing the amount of heeling
mrpenguin is offline Find More Posts by mrpenguin
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:12 PM
Joined Mar 2011
27 Posts
MrPenquin, I will keep that in mind.

I pulled the sails today and cleaned them. They were quite dirty and something had splashed on them at one point. the pics dont show it, they looked as bad as the deck. When I re-installed them, I pulled the jib down a bit closer to the deck.

In any event, the sails came out awesome, cleaned right up. and now have no evidence of being stained or dirty. They look like new now, just some lukewarm water and a light mix of Woolite and tide stain treatment stuff. I rinsed them and air dried them with an oscillating fan.

Shes all back together now, but I have some tuning to do. I rigged her up from memory, will refer to the instruction manual to ensure that I did it correctly.

Tom
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:47 PM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
1,982 Posts
I like the Fairwind. When I built a fleet of them for the local real yacht club I followed the Bakersfield guide. They had a lot of good (and easy) updates to make the boat more tunable. One of the easiest is swapping out the jib boom fittings for grommets. I re-used the cleat for the new dead end on the jib sheet and the loop fitting to hold the new backstay location on the transom.

Dave
boater_dave is offline Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:18 AM
Yosef Sailor
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jul 2011
513 Posts
Nice clean up.

Could not help to see the Quad logo. Are you a Quad employee?

If so, what location?

DW
dwatson is online now Find More Posts by dwatson
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:33 PM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
1,982 Posts
No, I'm not a Quad employee. One of the boats in the fleet I built was to be given to the editor of Milwaukee Magazine. I got the big graphic image from the magazine and the rest were web captures, all printed on decal paper. I worked at Harken at the time so the Harken logo had to appear as well.

Dave
boater_dave is offline Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:41 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,748 Posts
Great looking boat, that dark blue and white works really well.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:52 AM
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,100 Posts
I just got lucky and acquired a new Fairwind III

I started a new thread on it if anyone's interested.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1781219
Last edited by lilleyen; Dec 24, 2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:34 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,506 Posts
Just a little late to the party but have a suggestion for you if you opt to install life lines. There are some factory parts still out there such as the Kyosho America site or RC101.com has a few Fairwind items still on hand at very good prices too.

The suggestion is to consider using the life line stanchions and mounting hardware off of a Proboat Serenity - the stanchions are metal not plastic and have a more realistic appearance, more like Stainless Steel than chrome. Part number is PRB 3466 set of 6 @ $14.99 the base is part number PRB 3455 come in pack of 16 for @ $14.99 The Serenity sails make an excellent replacement for the Fairwind sails sold separately $14.99 for the main sail and $9.99 for the jib sail - they are very nice made of a good grade of rip stop - I like them better than the factory Fairwind sails (they are on the same page) A set of Fairwind sails cost almost $100.00

Here is a link to the site> http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...e-_-PRB3450#t4

A little mixing & matching can save some money and yield a very nice result. Harbor Models has a few different style metal stanchions should you be interested in other options. http://www.harbormodels.com/site08/stanchions.html

Just a personal note on scale details - I am a fan of boats or planes that look like their full size counterparts. I have some basic boats that don't have the scale details and I enjoy them to. But whether it is electric trains, RC boats or planes or cars, I have always liked the models with the details. My Yamaha RTW is my favorite both have the details I enjoy,

I am impressed with Boater Dave's handy work and like the racing versions he has built over the years. They to are very nice looking boats - very clean looking! I don't have any issues with the deck details getting fouled by the sheets or other lines on the boats. It is all good!

Posted a few pictures from my archives -

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Dec 25, 2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 07:59 PM
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,100 Posts
Progress report

Tom, how is the rebuild coming along?

Haven't seen any news on it for while?