SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:23 AM
Suspended Account
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Nov 2003
554 Posts
You could be getting interference. I would rap the servo leads around a choke. Sometimes long servo lead pick up noise and can cause servo to jitter or twitch.
warbirdguyn951 is offline Find More Posts by warbirdguyn951
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:32 PM
DWTRIAC23
United States, MA, North Andover
Joined Feb 2012
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCforithobbies View Post
You could be getting interference. I would rap the servo leads around a choke. Sometimes long servo lead pick up noise and can cause servo to jitter or twitch.
what is a choke?
dwtriac23 is offline Find More Posts by dwtriac23
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:39 AM
Suspended Account
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Nov 2003
554 Posts
Tolerances in your RC equipment may cause glitches and can decrease the range of your transmitter. A Torodial core choke is used on the servo lead to reduce noise from the radio system they are available at most electronic supply or you might try your local hobby shop.
You simply rap the servo lead around the choke 3 or 4 times thus stopping the noise and glitches to the servo.
warbirdguyn951 is offline Find More Posts by warbirdguyn951
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:08 PM
DWTRIAC23
Joined Feb 2012
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwtriac23 View Post
I have a 1/8 scale Mad Torque rock crawler and love it, it goes over anything and climbs very steep inclines. It works great but occasionally the steering will start twitching back and forth. At first I thought it was interference but it will happen at different locations. I also added the front linkage kit and servo so it has 4 wheel steering, what a difference!
Does anyone elso have this problem? Any solutions?
Now the the throttle is also twitching uncontrollably, going foward and backwards. But it stops when I turn off the transmitter. I am thinking my transmitter is no good?
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:51 PM
The wind caused that!!
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
man, you gotta go in steps. your just chasing your tail right now.

first things first. are the transmitter batteries good? if they are old, put new ones in.

second is the trucks battery charged? when it gets low they will twitch some times.

third look the entire truck over for loose connections. if the truck has tamiya battery and esc plugs on it, they are well known to give bad connections. this look over is also to make sure all connectors are plugged into the receiver good, that wires are not knicked or damaged, that the battery and esc connectors are all good.

after this if you still have problems with the truck twitching forward/backward, then recenter all your trims on the transmitter, center dual rate steering (if you have it), and rebind the transmitter to the truck.

if the problem still exists, then unplug your rear steer servo, still doing it, then unplug the front steering servo. what you are doing is eliminating the servos from causing the problem. if a servo is going bad sometimes they will bind and draw quite a bit of power. this excess draw can cause the esc's internal bec to shut off. when this happens the receiver will shut off also, when the receiver comes back on it can cause glitches.
hoghead5150 is offline Find More Posts by hoghead5150
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:28 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,493 Posts
also make sure your capasiters are still on each motor and connected .i agree with above you need to go in steps and do ONE thing at a time and prosses of elimination ,.
rcphreak is offline Find More Posts by rcphreak
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:55 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,907 Posts
Keep the antenna wire away from the ESC and motor leads as much as possible too.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:53 PM
DWTRIAC23
Joined Feb 2012
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoghead5150 View Post
man, you gotta go in steps. your just chasing your tail right now.

first things first. are the transmitter batteries good? if they are old, put new ones in.

second is the trucks battery charged? when it gets low they will twitch some times.

third look the entire truck over for loose connections. if the truck has tamiya battery and esc plugs on it, they are well known to give bad connections. this look over is also to make sure all connectors are plugged into the receiver good, that wires are not knicked or damaged, that the battery and esc connectors are all good.

after this if you still have problems with the truck twitching forward/backward, then recenter all your trims on the transmitter, center dual rate steering (if you have it), and rebind the transmitter to the truck.

if the problem still exists, then unplug your rear steer servo, still doing it, then unplug the front steering servo. what you are doing is eliminating the servos from causing the problem. if a servo is going bad sometimes they will bind and draw quite a bit of power. this excess draw can cause the esc's internal bec to shut off. when this happens the receiver will shut off also, when the receiver comes back on it can cause glitches.
Yes I already tried all the things you mentioned except unplugging and checking the servos. I will try that next, thanks.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:54 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,493 Posts
also due to the nature of rock crawling has it had a hard shock of any type like falling down a rock pile is just a thought ?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:19 PM
DWTRIAC23
Joined Feb 2012
173 Posts
I have tried almost everything people have sugested here with no luck. The rock crawler is fairly new, driven maybe a dozen times, not beat on and never exposed to mud and water. I find it strange how the problem went from just steering twitches to throttle twitches also without it even been driven. I am thinking it is either a transmitter/receiver problem or a problem with the speed control but am not sure how to determine which it is. The radio system and speed control are original equipment.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:11 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,493 Posts
sure fire way to test is to use the radio in another car/truck also check range with mine ( same as yours ) i can run my truck out of sight with control .
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:16 PM
The wind caused that!!
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
well if you are having twitching forward/backward problems, and you have checked all your batteries, and unplugged everything from the receiver except the esc and your still having these issues, the only other thing you can do is try a different transmitter or a different esc.

from my experience your problem will usually lie in the esc. but it would be very easy to use a different transmitter just to be sure. if you (or a friend) doesn't have one laying around, you might hit your local hobby shop. they usually have a few laying around they would probably let you try out, or they would know of somebody that does.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:51 AM
DWTRIAC23
Joined Feb 2012
173 Posts
hoghead,
sounds good, I will have to check my recources, Thanks for your help and advice.This R/C groups is awesome, a lot of people friendly and willing to take their time and help others in the hobby.I have been out of the hobby for about 10 years and the advances in electronics have changed things considerably.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:28 PM
DWTRIAC23
Joined Feb 2012
173 Posts
I tried looking for a replacement speed control under spare parts for the madtorque at the place I bought the truck at nitrorcx.com but they did not have a stock replacement. Any sugestions on an inexpensive replacement? My truck has the battery and motors that came with the truck.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:26 PM
The wind caused that!!
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
not the best, but it's decent and pretty cheap to boot.

http://store.rc4wd.com/Outcry-Crawle...BEC_p_664.html