Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 09, 2012, 02:44 PM
Israel
Joined Nov 2012
233 Posts
Discussion
quadcopter flips over

I also posted this question at hobbyking, but didn't receive answer...
I just finished to build a KK2 quadcopter.
When i'm trying to fly it, it flips over.

current motors configuration:
M1 CW, prop - 8045R
M2 CCW, prop - 8045
M3 CW, prop - 8045R
M4 CCW, prop - 8045

I calibrate the sensors and the ESC.

setup:
ESC: turnigy plush 25amp
Motors: NTM 28, 1200Kv/250W
Frame: X525.

Dose the motors and the props configuration is ok?
Dose prop 8045R is for CW motor, or should I use 8045 without R?
squid10 is offline Find More Posts by squid10
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2012, 03:11 PM
Manual will not flyaway :D
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Oct 2012
2,786 Posts
Show us a picture of the quad
ecks is offline Find More Posts by ecks
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2012, 04:20 PM
Cyprus, Limassol
Joined Feb 2008
1,111 Posts
I have the kk2 board. It flies very well on my mini hexa.... you should normally have

1 2
4 3

where 1 and 3 = R

Since you are getting correct thrust direction on all motors you should be fine with this part... Try calibrating ESC's again. Also make sure you have the board set to the correct mode + or x depending how you fly. Note that the board sits on the main plate as a square and with 45 degrees angle.
panos2408 is offline Find More Posts by panos2408
Last edited by panos2408; Nov 09, 2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 04:59 PM
Australia, VIC, Frankston
Joined Jul 2012
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by squid10 View Post
I also posted this question at hobbyking, but didn't receive answer...
I just finished to build a KK2 quadcopter.
When i'm trying to fly it, it flips over.

current motors configuration:
M1 CW, prop - 8045R
M2 CCW, prop - 8045
M3 CW, prop - 8045R
M4 CCW, prop - 8045

I calibrate the sensors and the ESC.

setup:
ESC: turnigy plush 25amp
Motors: NTM 28, 1200Kv/250W
Frame: X525.

Dose the motors and the props configuration is ok?
Dose prop 8045R is for CW motor, or should I use 8045 without R?
A Video would be more help than text and photos.
CH33ZEBURG3R is offline Find More Posts by CH33ZEBURG3R
Old Nov 10, 2012, 03:26 AM
Israel
Joined Nov 2012
233 Posts
picture

here is a picture of my quad
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:38 AM
Cyprus, Limassol
Joined Feb 2008
1,111 Posts
I can't see connection of ESCs to the board very clear but if top left motor is number 1 then i don't see anything wrong with that wiring. I can't tell the receiver and FC if have any problems either but it should be 1 aileron 2 elevator 3 throttle 4 rudder. Your gain setttigns should fly the model as they come from factory It's better if you take a small video... Also post some Gain values. Photo seems fine...
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:53 AM
Manual will not flyaway :D
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Oct 2012
2,786 Posts
Are all motors spinning the right way?

Also do a receiver check on the kk2 board. It shows you what's happening corresponding to the transmitter. I needed to reverse 2 settings on the transmitter
ecks is offline Find More Posts by ecks
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:38 AM
Israel
Joined Nov 2012
233 Posts
I calibrated the ESC again and I also decreased most of the PI gains, now it much more better and it doesn't flips but is still not stable.
I think the problem is with my cheap hobbyking 4ch TxRx. I also crashed a bixler with this TxRx (after I spent month on a simulator... so I know how to fly...) in addition to the bixler I tried another plane - atom gliter and still, cant fly...
on the ground the TxRx seems to work good, but still it doesn't react good in real flight. can it be the TxRx?
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:54 AM
Cyprus, Limassol
Joined Feb 2008
1,111 Posts
Maybe you have some kind of interference.... I don't know... Are you trying to fly the thing in stabilized mode? I can't fly mine in that mode because it's not that responsive. Maybe try another Receiver if you think this is the problem. But i guess a video will enlighten us more for your case since it's not a typical mistake on the connections. Have you balanced your props? If there is to much vibrations it could be affecting the way flight control works....
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:56 AM
Israel
Joined Nov 2012
233 Posts
ok, i'll try to upload a video in the next days,
Thanks
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:50 PM
FPV Racer - N4FPV
United States, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Sep 2009
853 Posts
You have your motors mis-aligned, or one or more are spinning the wrong way, or you have the wrong props on.

Some controllers use this motor numbering system (like open pilot):

Front
Back

and some controllers use this motor configuration (like DJI Naza):

Front
Back

Here's what you do first:

1) Pull a motor wire from the controller and plug into your throttle input on your receiver. Then slowly throttle up. Identify which motor starts running and then tape that number written on a small piece of paper on the servo wire. Do this for all 4 motor wires.

2) Then determine what motor diagram you are using for your controller (see above) and make sure that the proper motor wire is plugged into the controller at the right input for each motor.

3) Then look at your controller's diagram again and make sure each motor is spinning in the right direction on your quad. If not, switch two wires on the esc for the motor that is not spinning the right way.

4) Than make sure you have the proper props. One is normal and one is left. Only your diagram for your controller will tell you these things. You just have to do it one step at a time and make sure all of these variables are all right.

5) and don't forget if your controller has a calibration function, do it before your test flight.

Eddie
Eddie James is offline Find More Posts by Eddie James
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CavCam, Inc.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:30 AM
Israel
Joined Nov 2012
233 Posts
Hi Eddie,
My FC is KK2, it's using your first diagram.
I assembled the props right and the motors direction is also right.
I calibrate again the ESCs and now the quad is flying much more better and when i'm changing the PI it's reacting good, now i know for sure that the motors and the props are all right
the quad is still drifting a sides all the times and i'm pretty sure its the Tx or the Rx (i'm using the HK cheapest 4ch TxRx), right now i'm a little afraid to get it up more then 0.5 meter.
I ordered a turnigy 9x which im hoping will solve this saga.
hop to update you guys ASAP, also i started to write a PDF with all the instructions for my quad so new beginners will have a lot easy life

Thanks for the help!
Raz
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:03 AM
Cyprus, Limassol
Joined Feb 2008
1,111 Posts
Ah you have to lift it higher am afraid. What you describing here is the ground effect... The air that your quad pushes on the ground bounces back and hits your quad and affects it's stability. Try at about 1 meter+ You might want to return your Pid in the default state now you have the props aligned correctly
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:28 AM
Israel
Joined Nov 2012
233 Posts
you probably right.. i forgot there is a ground effect, I'll try to lift it higher and i'll see what will happen ...
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:44 AM
Israel
Joined Nov 2012
233 Posts
ok, I update the firmware to v1.4 and set self level to on - it flies like a charm!!
if you were ask me 1 week ago if i'm actually believe that i can build a quad that actually fly i would have definitely say no, but this one fly like a baby! i got it 5 meters from the ground.
it still drifting very little and i'm sure i can fix that by playing with the PI.
thank you guys for sharing your knowledge