SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by s_mack, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 01:06 PM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,253 Posts
Discussion
What book next?

I didn't want to bother registering on a book related forum, so I thought I'd give this a shot here.

Judging by the "what I've read" list below, you wouldn't know that I was an adult... but I am I have mild learning disability (dyslexia) that I've coped with my whole life. Through highschool and university... I read the bare minimum necessary to complete my education. Reading for recreation was a very foreign concept to me. Prior to December of last year... I had read MAYBE a total of 6 novels in my 36 year life. And of those 6 I think I really only completed 3 all the way through.

Then last year, I got a Kindle for my wife for Christmas (she's a big reader). It turned out to be defective. Amazon's just awesome... once I described the problem, they sent a new one and told me to "dispose" of the old one. The defect was serious... but to me it turned out to be a minor miracle. The screen suffers from a contrast issue and severe ghosting. That is, the contrast is MUCH lower than it should be, and there's always a remnant of the previous page(s) still showing on the current page. This would drive most people nuts, and in fact my wife says its completely unusable after a few minutes. But for me... somehow... I don't know why or how, but it is just WAY easier to read for me than pages in a book or her good Kindle! In the past 11 months I've been extremely busy with work and our 14 month old baby... yet I've managed to read 19 novels in that time! They're all pretty easy reads, and that's probably still my speed for now.

But now I've got nothing to read I was hoping the list below of what I have read (all of which I've enjoyed) will give you something to go on for making recommendations. Here it is, and thanks:
  • Angels & Demons - Dan Brown
  • Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown
  • Doomsday Book - Connie Willis
  • The Last Templar - Raymond Khoury
  • Timeline - Michael Crichton
  • The Host - Stephenie Meyer
  • The Hunger Games [Trilogy] - Suzanne Collins
  • Harry Potter [7-book series]
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
  • The Restaurant at the End of the Universe - Douglas Adams
  • Life, the Universe and Everything - Douglas Adams

- Steven
s_mack is offline Find More Posts by s_mack
Old Nov 09, 2012, 01:46 PM
Joensuu, Finland
Joined Mar 2002
1,505 Posts
Maybe something from Terry Pratchett?
jkettu is offline Find More Posts by jkettu
Old Nov 09, 2012, 02:19 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,253 Posts
Ahh... good. I've played board games based on Pratchett novels (Guards! Guards! and Disc World, for example). Maybe then they'd make some sense!
Old Nov 09, 2012, 02:33 PM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkettu View Post
Maybe something from Terry Pratchett?
Anything and everything!
Stuart
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Nov 09, 2012, 03:45 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,466 Posts
So Long and Thanks for all the Fish- Douglas Adams. (The fourth part of his trilogy)
GeeW is offline Find More Posts by GeeW
Old Nov 09, 2012, 04:28 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,253 Posts
Yeah, I thought I read them all... but when I read the summary it didn't ring too many bells (other than the characters being the same).
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:49 AM
USA, PA, Westmoreland Co.
Joined Aug 2008
1,349 Posts
Vince Flynn (MitchRapp) books are very good
Also like Daniel Silva (Gabriel Alon series)
jonquinn is offline Find More Posts by jonquinn
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:44 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,253 Posts
Thanks!

I started on Terry Pratchett. He has so many I didn't know where to start... so I started at the beginning. His first book, The Carpet People. I'm almost done. It grew on me. I almost put it down after the first couple of chapters as it felt like he was being clever for clever's sake rather than focusing on good writing. But it is amusing and has me looking forward to his other works. Thankfully its a short book
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:00 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,438 Posts
Based on the list you've got so far, Stephen King's "Duma Key" sticks out in my head. Really, though, most of King's work is worth reading at some point.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:12 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,449 Posts
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo trilogy. Oh, yeah. A rip-snortin' read!

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:21 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,438 Posts
^ Agreed.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:45 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀ View Post
Based on the list you've got so far, Stephen King's "Duma Key" sticks out in my head. Really, though, most of King's work is worth reading at some point.
of the few novels I read pre-kindle, I read part of the Dark Tower series. It got kind of dumb so I stopped reading it (back when reading was an effort, keep in mind) but the early works - especially The Gunslinger - really captured my imagination.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:11 PM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,441 Posts
The Gunslinger series is epic. It gets much better in the last few books.
I just finished "The Passage" and "The twelve" from Justin Cronin. Pretty good books, and even though they are listed as "Vampire" novels, they do not fit in the typical "vampire" mold IMHO.
_Lunchbox_ is offline Find More Posts by _Lunchbox_
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:56 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,088 Posts
One Second After by William R. Fortschen if you like SHTF scenarios. Just read it this week for my local book club. Pretty OK read but really gets you thinking about preparations for bad times.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:00 PM
United States, MN, Bloomington
Joined Jan 2008
130 Posts
The change series by S.M. Sterling.
primestick is offline Find More Posts by primestick