SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:10 AM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
2,135 Posts
Actually no.... Best if mounted on the side and two thirds up so the heat is not directed at the epoxy. I have found ambient temp approach is best for equal distribution and a balanced cure. But then again........
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:18 PM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
Mine are that 1/2-2/3rds on the side too. The bottom is where my moulds go!
I stuck a small fan in mine, then I didn't have to worry about where the heating elements are.
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:30 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,135 Posts
Finally got around to laying up the tail section and got them joined. I laid this up heavier than my future production units so that I can test fit other parts to it. Came out at 235 grams which is twice as much that I will allow. Don't see a problem with halving the weight and still having it strong. I used a white surface coat to check details. Also used a lot of resin and micro Spheres to fill the hinge post etc. Looks fine though and quite happy with the seams etc.

Currently awaiting the fuse body to cure so will join in the morning along with the tail section. I'm trying different techniques on each quarter of the layup to test different weights and finishes for the best result. The fuse is laid up with a white prime base shot into the mould and clear resin on one side and the other with tinted white resin.

We shall see...........
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:34 PM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
I would definitely add a fan so the temperature will be even inside the box. If you only end up running one bulb, then you will end up with hot spots. I used a baseboard heating unit with a safety temperature breaker, a fan, and an electronic thermostat. The thermostat will ensure that the inside temp is consistent regardless of the ambient temperature.

I did it like this: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1138304
wyowindworks is offline Find More Posts by wyowindworks
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:59 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesimmer View Post
Finally got around to laying up the tail section and got them joined. I laid this up heavier than my future production units so that I can test fit other parts to it. Came out at 235 grams which is twice as much that I will allow. Don't see a problem with halving the weight and still having it strong. I used a white surface coat to check details. Also used a lot of resin and micro Spheres to fill the hinge post etc. Looks fine though and quite happy with the seams etc.

Currently awaiting the fuse body to cure so will join in the morning along with the tail section. I'm trying different techniques on each quarter of the layup to test different weights and finishes for the best result. The fuse is laid up with a white prime base shot into the mould and clear resin on one side and the other with tinted white resin.

We shall see...........
Superb detail on that tail section.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:10 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,762 Posts
It's looking really good Ace. Can't wait to see the first one together.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:25 AM
Joined Oct 2011
2,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyowindworks View Post
I would definitely add a fan so the temperature will be even inside the box. If you only end up running one bulb, then you will end up with hot spots. I used a baseboard heating unit with a safety temperature breaker, a fan, and an electronic thermostat. The thermostat will ensure that the inside temp is consistent regardless of the ambient temperature.

I did it like this: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1138304
Very nice work on your hot box. Gave me some good ideas for mine. You seem to have a lot of experience with pressure bladders and the like. Is it possible for me to use a bladder on a fuselage shaped like mine? I need to get my layup times down.

This is my plan. 3/4oz cloth in sharp detailed areas and resin mirco spheres. Into the hot box for a pre-cook to stiffen. Time to stiffen? Then layup 6 oz finished skin and cook.

What procedure would you use? Mine has a lot of detail and corners. Your models seem to be very fluid and smooth. ANy input in techniques would be appreciated.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:39 PM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesimmer View Post
Very nice work on your hot box. Gave me some good ideas for mine. You seem to have a lot of experience with pressure bladders and the like. Is it possible for me to use a bladder on a fuselage shaped like mine? I need to get my layup times down.

This is my plan. 3/4oz cloth in sharp detailed areas and resin mirco spheres. Into the hot box for a pre-cook to stiffen. Time to stiffen? Then layup 6 oz finished skin and cook.

What procedure would you use? Mine has a lot of detail and corners. Your models seem to be very fluid and smooth. ANy input in techniques would be appreciated.
Using a bladder would work just fine for that shape, Unfortunately, your mold isn't stiff enough to use pressure bladders. 5 Psi is going to spread it open.

I wouldn't waste the time of letting it cook between the light glass and the reinforcing glass. I would do the whole thing, let is gel at room temp (or low elevated temps - 85*F) and then ramp up the temps.
wyowindworks is offline Find More Posts by wyowindworks
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:50 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,762 Posts
Any progress Ace???

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:05 PM
United States, LA, Blanchard
Joined Jan 2006
804 Posts
I hope you will be offering some of these for sale.. i want one very bad..
randynsaudi is online now Find More Posts by randynsaudi
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:36 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan View Post
Any progress Ace???

J
Hi John

Yes a little progress. I have the first complete fuse and it is nice and light weighing in at 600 grams. I should be able shave off another 200 grams off that and increase the side wall rigidity five fold without extra cloth or resin. I came up with a trick that I want to try on Fuse number two later this week or maybe next. If it works which I'm 95% sure it will then I'll post my technique. The detail came out very nice with only a minor blemish.

Unfortunately some rat bastard spiked my mac computer with the first virus in twenty five years and I lost most every design that I had. I had backed up every month but even the backup drive got toasted. So been bust sorting all that out and am almost back to normal.

So between that and other things I have built an lightfoot oven to cure my stuff faster and get out more production. Also installed new heating and lights in the shop. So tomorrow I will finish that and cleanup the shop and be back at it on Thursday.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:39 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by randynsaudi View Post
I hope you will be offering some of these for sale.. i want one very bad..
I may do a few short kits. Biggest issue is shipping due to size. I did design it with the option of two fuse halves but that means I will have to do the wings in two halves as well. I will be doing the wings in a few weeks and will be able to make a decision then. Keep checking in....
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:03 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,762 Posts
Sorry to hear about the virus Ace. Hang in there.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:34 AM
Joined Oct 2011
2,135 Posts
Finished my heat box so able to make the glassing go faster now that we have colder weather.

Fitted the original parts to my new composite fuselage to test fitment before making the next set of plugs. Everything fit great. Motor and wings mounted. My new cowl fits perfectly and looks really sweet.

Next is making the plugs for the instruments and cockpit tub. Then a couple of days of parting planes, clay and mould making.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:02 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,762 Posts
Looks incredible Ace!

J
RCG Plus Member