SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:14 AM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
1,974 Posts
Thanks Damon.......

Any of you folks have a good way of doing nose gear door installations that have the springs in them to keep them open when gear deployed. I have never used this method where the LG pulls down on a wire attached to the doors. I have always used servos and sequencers. I'm trying to keep weigh down and keep life simple. Pics or advice appreciated.
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:23 AM
Sponsored by Team de la Peņa
United States, FL, Pembroke Pines
Joined Aug 2008
2,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesimmer View Post
Thanks Damon.......

Any of you folks have a good way of doing nose gear door installations that have the springs in them to keep them open when gear deployed. I have never used this method where the LG pulls down on a wire attached to the doors. I have always used servos and sequencers. I'm trying to keep weigh down and keep life simple. Pics or advice appreciated.
You could use spring loaded offset hinges like these, they will push the door open:
http://www.sonictronics.com/xcart/pr...9&cat=0&page=1
http://www.sonictronics.com/xcart/pr...cat=378&page=1

There are several ways to close the door (or doors) but one one of the ones I like best is this one that tumbler posted:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post16840889

Regards,

- Birger
bdelapen is offline Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:28 AM
Sponsored by Team de la Peņa
United States, FL, Pembroke Pines
Joined Aug 2008
2,581 Posts
Here is another good way to close the door:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post18504666

- Birger
bdelapen is offline Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:40 PM
Joined Oct 2011
1,974 Posts
Birger... Thanks for the info. I never thought of getting pre-sprung hinges derrrrr. I'll sure buy a bunch. Its fascinating to see the different techniques used.... bring it on.

A few changes. I was going to dump the test fuselage and build a new one which would be super light weight in the tail. That would change my CG significantly allowing me to use lighter internal structures and move stuff back a little which would be preferred. I would also lose a 1 lb or more in overall weight.

However, I thought to test a couple of new paints on the fuse and see how they perform. I started with the chrome exhaust shields and loved the way it looked. Soooo I got carried away and started detailing the plane. Instead of dumping the old scratched up canopy I also got into popping in a couple of instrument panels then re-glued the old ill fitting canopy. When the weather breaks I'll build a new vacuum box and make my own more to scale. So I'll make up the decals and get this thing looking a bit nicer. The test flight was so good and the plane is solid and predictable unlike the foam ones that bounce around. I'll just fly this until something breaks then replace it.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 10:14 PM
You Know What I Mean
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Dec 2011
882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesimmer View Post
I started with the chrome exhaust shields and loved the way it looked. Soooo I got carried away and started detailing the plane. Instead of dumping the old scratched up canopy I also got into popping in a couple of instrument panels then re-glued the old ill fitting canopy.

Looking good. Instruments are perfect.
I guess a lightweight airframe would be a bonus.
I wish my building skills were more inline with yours
LaserBeam is offline Find More Posts by LaserBeam
Old Mar 03, 2013, 08:58 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,566 Posts
Very nice work on the T28.

Cheers,
Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Mar 23, 2013, 04:19 PM
Joined Oct 2011
1,974 Posts
Roxy our prototype test airframe had a face lift. I upgraded the landing gear to the larger retracts. Added the 580KV from 500KV and removed 3 oz of nose weight. So we are now down to albs 5 oz with 4S 3300 mah battery. The CG actually moved forward enough to remove the weight and be able to go with the smaller battery pack. Due to the motor upgrade we should get the same power for those big loops we are able to do on 5S at 60% power.

If all goes well with the smaller pack then I'll pop in the 5S and see what explodes first. Weather is supposed to be warm and calm tomorrow so off to the airport for more flight testing. We also have airframe #3 almost ready for flight test. #3 is so much lighter in the tail area when fresh out of the molds. By shaving several ounces off the tail I can move the battery back onto the CG which should allow a weight saving of at least 8-12 oz. The test model was built strong hence the weight. Using a modified layup technique I can now get the stiffness yet keep it lighter.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 04:41 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,185 Posts
Can't wait!
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fly Models Sbach 30cc
Old Jun 29, 2013, 05:09 PM
Flying Low
United States, VA, Petersburg
Joined Mar 2012
580 Posts
Got to check out a real life T-28B a couple days ago and went back again today. Here is a pic of it on the Tarmac getting ready for startup. If interested there are more pictures and a few videos over on this thread on flyinggiants. http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=84068
Enjoy.
cbarnes0061 is offline Find More Posts by cbarnes0061
Old Jul 29, 2013, 03:19 PM
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined Jun 2012
176 Posts
Are you going to sell any of your composite molds? I'm interested! My FMS T-28 is starting to look a little tired.

osonegro is offline Find More Posts by osonegro
Old Jul 29, 2013, 03:52 PM
Joined Oct 2011
1,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by osonegro View Post
Are you going to sell any of your composite molds? I'm interested! My FMS T-28 is starting to look a little tired.

Maybe next season. The problem is the cost of a nice scale composite model is several times greater than a cheap foam one.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 03:37 PM
Joined Oct 2011
1,974 Posts
A quick update. I know its been a while but I'm ready to layup #4 and 5 fuselages for next season. Going to use a totally different layup scheme that should be more stiff yet much lighter. Just prepped all the molds and finished shooting the primer. I will post some pics as I go.

I took a long break so that I could build my scratch76" twin 90mm EuroFighter. Those molds are completed and have already had four successful test flights on the prototype. So need a change of build so back on the T28. The goal is to shave 1 lb off her plus some.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 05:05 PM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,069 Posts
Nice Ace....glad to see your back on the T-28.
DamonH is offline Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Dec 05, 2013, 06:04 PM
Joined Oct 2011
1,974 Posts
Its bloody cold outside. So while recovering from my hernia operation I've been laying up a lot of the smaller parts for the T28. I want to have two sets made by the xmas holidays. I'm doing a Navy version and a private owner version that will be white, red, blue and gold. See the pic of the rudder curing. Looks like a large bug?

I'll also layup two more Eurofighters that you can see in the back ground
Old Dec 05, 2013, 06:08 PM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,868 Posts
Nice, I love using squeeze clamps instead of bolts, even on my big molds/splashes.
A10FLYR is offline Find More Posts by A10FLYR