HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:16 AM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
1,994 Posts
Laser
Maybe Rodger (AirSally) may be interested.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...31887&page=101
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:57 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2004
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserBeam View Post

I have a ME-163 Komet in the box and am wondering if it is possible to
make a MOULD and REPRODUCE this awesome 900mm wingspan aircraft?

HobbyKing have stopped selling this plane and there are a lot of fans of
this fast-rolling and ace-gliding machine.
We can't find the manufacturer or any other suppliers.
ParkflyerPlastics make the pastic canopy but we need an airframe and wings:
http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...roducts_id=655

Do you guys know anyone that could produce these Me-163B Komet's for us?

This is an AWESOME BIRD with loads of room inside its thick foam interior.
Roll-rate is insane and it draws a big crowd for a little aircraft.
Glides on in for an easy belly landing.
Guys are working on bomb-drop systems and landing-gear for the Komet
and there are several working droppable-dolly setups for this aircraft.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1641984&page=1

Its got a lot of potential and is much loved ... how can we keep it alive?
Many thanks for any help.
Hey laserbeam, check out the het me163. It's larger than the hk one and should fly a little better. Like all het stuff, the finish isn't the greatest, but with a little work its a great little composite bird. Oh, and it cooks. Mine will do about 150 on a relatively cheap 4s setup. Some guys are in the 200 range with them, although I'd recommend some reinforcement for that extreme setup.

I've also considered making a mold of this as a 1 piece scale composite build, shouldn't be too tough as its a pretty simple form without many hard edges.

http://www.highendrc.com/index_ecat.php?cPath=40
dennissteir is offline Find More Posts by dennissteir
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:03 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesimmer View Post
Hi Luv

I have the Typhoon plans finished has of today except for the airfoil decision. It will be 72" with 54" wing span and carrying 2x90 mm EDF or a turbine if so desired. I will make the final decision on power plant once it comes out of the molds and see what the weight is. I think a good 120mm single EDF may drive it. I'm doing the DA4 twin seat Trainer version so that I can have two pilots with lots of cockpit details. I would really like to have two separate 6S 5000 60C battery packs one for each side. I'm keeping an eye on these high blade count aluminum fans and see what may suit. I'm willing to put up the funds for good quality EDF's and get the power and also the whoosh sound.

As soon as I get the airfoil sorted I'll begin a thread and get to building it. I'm going to have to move my butt cause I need it by September for the Las Vegas Ace in the hole event. I'll also be taking a couple of my T28's with me and may sell those to help cover some of the high expense of making these molds.

One thing that I'm finding with the T28 is how easy it is to build once all the templates have been made. Originally it took ages due to figuring out what goes where and making different shapes and test fitting and so forth. I also compiled a build log that I will attach pics for each stage. I do this for myself to help in the next build cause I always forget what I did a month ago. What I like about this model is the massive space inside to place equipment. I intend to build three for myself and the same for a friend who helped fund the venture. This way I can have a couple of cool looking color schemes for scale contest.
if you got to the Chimera delta build on the scratchbuilt EDF forum, you'll see the airfoil we chose. it was designed by Claus XPF and it flies amazingly well. it would look scale with the Typhoon too. worth a look to see what you think.

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:20 PM
You Know What I Mean
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Dec 2011
886 Posts
HET Komet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennissteir View Post
...check out the het me163. It's larger than the hk one and should fly a little better. Like all het stuff, the finish isn't the greatest, but with a little work its a great little composite bird. Oh, and it cooks. Mine will do about 150 on a relatively cheap 4s setup. Some guys are in the 200 range with them, although I'd recommend some reinforcement for that extreme setup.
I've also considered making a mold of this as a 1 piece scale composite build, shouldn't be too tough as its a pretty simple form without many hard edges.
http://www.highendrc.com/index_ecat.php?cPath=40

Many thanks, mate.
Yes you're right. HighEndTechnologies make an awesome fiberglass/balsa/foam
Me-163, but it has NO RUDDER
I love how it looks and the price is pretty good. I almost bought one.
Looks fantastic and comes in a jet and a propellor version.
The motors they recommend look too HEAVY and FAST for me.
Guess we could put something smaller in it.
If this HET Me-163 had a RUDDER, i would already own it.
Buy them here in australia. It is identical and costs only
US$150 posted anywhere in Australia. Slightly cheaper for US citizens as always.
http://www.extremerc.com.au/estore/i...roducts_id=866
K&A also have a Me-163 with elevons and throttle. Rudder is Optional.
A bit pricey at US$249.99 + US$16.99 S&H
http://www.kamodels.com/

What is the HET motor-mount like?
Can i bolt a LIGHTWEIGHT PARKFLYER motor onto this motor mount without much effort?
Is motor mount plastic or wood?
Thanks for all the help.
LaserBeam is offline Find More Posts by LaserBeam
Last edited by LaserBeam; Feb 11, 2013 at 11:26 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:10 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2004
80 Posts
Laserbeam, the k&a stuff is real nice. top quality parts. At one point I really wanted the buzzbomb they make. The het stuff is all polyester resin and a bit brittle, you get what you pay for. You could get a rudder on the HET but i think it would take some reinforcement and some work. I bet you could cut out the rudder outline and hinge it in a couple hours.

The motor mount is actually pretty light, it's a circle of 1/8 inch lite plywood. Some guys have had problems with it being too light and hot setups ripping it apart, so I added another layer of plywood and fiberglass around it. You could do a light setup no sweat.

At my field a guy had one of the HKs, i remember it flying pretty well. It was hilarious watching him try to get it off the ground on a little makeshift dolly like the real thing.
dennissteir is offline Find More Posts by dennissteir
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:19 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,323 Posts
We need to get that Tx back so we can get this bird in the air.
As far as the Me-163, just build a 1/4 scale out of fanfold and fly!

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by J Morgan; Feb 12, 2013 at 06:35 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:20 PM
Joined Oct 2011
1,994 Posts
Luv.... Thanks for the delta info currently checking it out.
John... TX arrives back from service tomorrow.

She is ugly but almost ready for test flight at the dry lake this coming Friday weather permitting. My new larger motor was out of round from factory so had to re-engineer the old one back in for test flight....... Bugger!!

If and when the flight proves successful then the wing molds get made along with the canopy frame then she is done.

Also began work on the scratch built Eurofighter typhoon that is now 76" nose to tail. Have the test stations made and will be doing a test mockup before committing to the expensive materials. Once approved then I'll begin a new build thread and begin work on the plugs. Enclosed are a couple of pics of the stations. This is large enough for turbines and or twin 90MM EDF's.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:43 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
I believe I also have the full scale airfoils somewhere. I'll see if I can dig em up for you. I can't see why the scale airfoils wouldn't work. hell, a flat plate will work, so why shouldn't they? LOL.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:20 AM
Joined Oct 2011
1,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
I believe I also have the full scale airfoils somewhere. I'll see if I can dig em up for you. I can't see why the scale airfoils wouldn't work. hell, a flat plate will work, so why shouldn't they? LOL.
Now that would just make my day! I have looked everywhere for the original airfoil. Hope you find them.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:09 PM
Joined Oct 2011
1,994 Posts
Okay folks......... Finally got Roxanne (my pal calls her)our test Trojan in to the sky. I set it up to be over max gross flying weight to see how it would perform. She is 8lbs and a pig. Truth is I'm 1/2lb to heavy in the rear end from canopy back so had to build everything to the front to get CG. Number three is so much lighter and will drop the total weight down a couple of pounds.

Anyhow, Powered with a 5S 4000 40C skylipo She took off surprisingly short and almost caught me off guard. I was using the original old wing I had laying around to save time and that wing had had a few crashes on it. Long and short of it I found out that it had lost left washout at the tip. She flew great except at close to stall speed due to that wing it had a vicious snap to the left. Other than that it flew very smooth and everything held together perfectly. See the vid from the test flight performed at 4600 ft in quite windy and bumpy conditions.

So next is the final composite wing and canopy along with a crash diet for Roxanne. Once this is done she will be a fabulous scale flyer and looker. So while I wait for the rest of it I have begun the 76" EF2000 Typhoon found here-----> .http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1831924

FMS T28 Foam to Composite Conversion (6 min 21 sec)
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:40 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,422 Posts
Congratulations!
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:58 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,323 Posts
Sweet! She flew pretty well for that WL. Nice job Ace.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:09 PM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,148 Posts
Great job Ace!!
DamonH is offline Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:35 AM
Joined Oct 2011
1,994 Posts
Now that I have the test flight out of the way. It is time to clean up the model and install a few scale details and do a little painting. Yesterday I installed the front LG doors. What a mess. This layup had a slightly different bay door recess that prohibits the easy and clean installation of hinges. I tried all different types to get them to work smooth with good fit. In the end I just jury rigged a system that allows the doors to shut and stuck springs on the outside. I know what to do for number three fuse that has the correct recess. All of the internals are completed so I'll install the cockpit instruments to make it a little nicer looking. Not going to do much with this test bird but will make the next one really nice.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:51 AM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,148 Posts
Panel look great Ace
DamonH is offline Find More Posts by DamonH