HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:12 PM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
1,936 Posts
Just a quick update on the instrument panels. Just got the dials printed and test placed. Looks so much nicer in life. I have a MKII panel in the works that is cast in two tone. So the instrument facia will be light grey while the dials are black. This one will be used along with its mate in my own personal plane. I will also back light the dials to enhance the effect.
acesimmer is online now Find More Posts by acesimmer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:35 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesimmer View Post
Just a quick update on the instrument panels. Just got the dials printed and test placed. Looks so much nicer in life. I have a MKII panel in the works that is cast in two tone. So the instrument facia will be light grey while the dials are black. This one will be used along with its mate in my own personal plane. I will also back light the dials to enhance the effect.

That is one awesome instrument panel. What level of completion are you planning to offer to others when you sell them for $20?
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:53 PM
Joined Oct 2011
1,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
That is one awesome instrument panel. What level of completion are you planning to offer to others when you sell them for $20?
Thanks

Actually as above. All it needs is to have the photo paper glued to the panel. Water slide decals and dial panel supplied. Unfortunately only one interested party to date. I'm going to check the fit of this panel to the FMS cockpit to see if it would work with just shaving down the outside edges.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:09 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,272 Posts
Quote:
Thanks

Actually as above. All it needs is to have the photo paper glued to the panel. Water slide decals and dial panel supplied. Unfortunately only one interested party to date. I'm going to check the fit of this panel to the FMS cockpit to see if it would work with just shaving down the outside edges.
Let us know how it fits the stocker.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:11 PM
Joined Oct 2011
1,936 Posts
I checked the fit on the stock panel but mine is much wider and closer to scale. It could be easily trimmed to fit but not great. So I decided just to make one up to fit the stock front and back seat. I'm having a brain fart this week trying to finish the prototype for it test flights. All the complex stuff came together very easy. However, I'm stumped on the easiest item which is the battery box placement and design. Need a very simple elegant solution. So I'll take a couple of days away and design up the new panel for the Stock FMS version. I'll also design and make the side avionics panels with throttle quadrant etc for mine.

My transmitter is in for service and wont be ready for another week or so so will have the time. I did layup another fuselage today so have three made so far.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:01 AM
You Know What I Mean
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Dec 2011
880 Posts
Quote:
Just a quick update on the instrument panels.

Nice Instruments.
This control panel is from a Me-163 Komet.
LaserBeam is offline Find More Posts by LaserBeam
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:29 AM
You Know What I Mean
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Dec 2011
880 Posts
Keeping the Komet Alive

I have a ME-163 Komet in the box and am wondering if it is possible to
make a MOULD and REPRODUCE this awesome 900mm wingspan aircraft?

HobbyKing have stopped selling this plane and there are a lot of fans of
this fast-rolling and ace-gliding machine.
We can't find the manufacturer or any other suppliers.
ParkflyerPlastics make the pastic canopy but we need an airframe and wings:
http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...roducts_id=655

Do you guys know anyone that could produce these Me-163B Komet's for us?

This is an AWESOME BIRD with loads of room inside its thick foam interior.
Roll-rate is insane and it draws a big crowd for a little aircraft.
Glides on in for an easy belly landing.
Guys are working on bomb-drop systems and landing-gear for the Komet
and there are several working droppable-dolly setups for this aircraft.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1641984&page=1

Its got a lot of potential and is much loved ... how can we keep it alive?
Many thanks for any help.
Last edited by LaserBeam; Feb 10, 2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:48 AM
Joined Oct 2011
1,936 Posts
Laser...... It is quite simple to make the molds. You should do it yourself. Lots of info on how it is done. For someone else to make it for you would be quite costly. Example my T28 was started Sept 2012 and still needs another month or two to finish. Then I'm straight into my 72" Eurofighter EDF project which I have already begun.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:38 AM
United States, CA, Cameron Park
Joined May 2007
1,258 Posts
Ace, I impressed with how this project has come and have been following it closely. I want to start a little project myself bus tarting to make a cowling and some small parts. Can you point me to a tutorial or source where the process is explained as well as wich materials to use?

Thanks in advance!
Highfly! is offline Find More Posts by Highfly!
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:47 AM
Joined Oct 2011
1,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highfly! View Post
Ace, I impressed with how this project has come and have been following it closely. I want to start a little project myself bus tarting to make a cowling and some small parts. Can you point me to a tutorial or source where the process is explained as well as wich materials to use?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks much. Lot of work but very satisfying. Regards instructional stuff. Well, I just google what I need and usually find a vid to guide me in new techniques. The main series of vids that I found the most useful begins with the link below. Bob builds all kinds of models from big to massive and explains most of the steps with hundreds of videos.

Watch a few of the B1 then also the thunderChief in which he updates his techniques. Once you get the concept it is quite straight forward and easy with the right materials. The main thing is to put a lot of work into the plugs. Make them strong and have a nice a finish as possible then add rivets etc.
http://www.b1modelproject.com/

how to build a rc jet B1B from scratch #1 (1 min 52 sec)
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:02 PM
Joined Oct 2011
1,936 Posts
Shown is number three fuse that is now 1/2 lb lighter than previous versions. Number two is almost ready to test fly once I get my TX back from service.

Num 2 (test model) came out slightly tail heavy due to reinforcing the rear end a little to much. Now we have that sorted. So I had to make up a battery trey and move it all the way forward to off set rear CG. I needed to add a little weight so just made the trey twice as heavy instead. The trey interlocks into the front gear support and creates a tough setup.

The servos are all installed and work well with zero slop. To save weight on the aft CG I made two foam treys then coated the skin with epoxy to provide strength. I then used shoe goo to hold in place has this stick great to glasswork. So with a total of 10 servos and a 5S setup we now weigh in at 7.5 lbs which is well within the limits. Number three will be under 7 lbs ready to fly. All weights include scale cockpit etc.

Test flight next week I hope if TX comes back and weather allows.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:10 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
is there a thread yet for the Typhoon? I'm eager to follow along with that build. there's not enough large Typhoon's out there and I'd deffinitely jump in line to get one of those. a twin 70mm would absolutely rock.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:31 PM
Joined Oct 2011
1,936 Posts
Hi Luv

I have the Typhoon plans finished has of today except for the airfoil decision. It will be 72" with 54" wing span and carrying 2x90 mm EDF or a turbine if so desired. I will make the final decision on power plant once it comes out of the molds and see what the weight is. I think a good 120mm single EDF may drive it. I'm doing the DA4 twin seat Trainer version so that I can have two pilots with lots of cockpit details. I would really like to have two separate 6S 5000 60C battery packs one for each side. I'm keeping an eye on these high blade count aluminum fans and see what may suit. I'm willing to put up the funds for good quality EDF's and get the power and also the whoosh sound.

As soon as I get the airfoil sorted I'll begin a thread and get to building it. I'm going to have to move my butt cause I need it by September for the Las Vegas Ace in the hole event. I'll also be taking a couple of my T28's with me and may sell those to help cover some of the high expense of making these molds.

One thing that I'm finding with the T28 is how easy it is to build once all the templates have been made. Originally it took ages due to figuring out what goes where and making different shapes and test fitting and so forth. I also compiled a build log that I will attach pics for each stage. I do this for myself to help in the next build cause I always forget what I did a month ago. What I like about this model is the massive space inside to place equipment. I intend to build three for myself and the same for a friend who helped fund the venture. This way I can have a couple of cool looking color schemes for scale contest.
Last edited by acesimmer; Feb 10, 2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:43 PM
United States, CA, Cameron Park
Joined May 2007
1,258 Posts
Ace, thanks! Looked at the links and I am impressed with what people can do using a variety of products and materials.
Highfly! is offline Find More Posts by Highfly!
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:52 PM
You Know What I Mean
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Dec 2011
880 Posts
Keeping Komet Alive

Quote:
Laser...... It is quite simple to make the molds. You should do it yourself. Lots of info on how it is done. For someone else to make it for you would be quite costly.

How simple is it?
If it is simple and i have many people offering to fund the project,
would it not be feasable to ask an expert to make these moulds for us?

Do you guys know anyone that would make these Me-163 Komet Airframes for us?

I like to do small modifications, or replace a motor or servos, but i am not the best builder.
None of the buyers i have spoken to have made moulds.
We are very keen to find an experienced creator to keep this Komet alive.
Many thanks.