HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:05 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,454 Posts
MCSGUY,

Did you happen to monitor individual cell voltage at the balance tap during your testing as well? Reason I ask is that wire and connector losses can be very significant at such high currents and will definitely have an effect on the test results (as you've determined!). Since you're primarily interested in the performance of the cells, monitoring cell voltage at the balance tap will remove this significant variable. It'll also tell you whether you have a bum cell and whether the packs have been assembled with matched cells.

Obviously, monitoring voltage at both the load and at the balance tap would be the best of both worlds and will provide an indication of interconnect quality.

Cheers,
Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:54 AM View Post
tommox
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Off Topic Advertisement. Show it to me anyway.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:40 AM
aka JetMan Joe
Joined Feb 2010
2,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
MCSGUY,

Did you happen to monitor individual cell voltage at the balance tap during your testing as well? Reason I ask is that wire and connector losses can be very significant at such high currents and will definitely have an effect on the test results (as you've determined!). Since you're primarily interested in the performance of the cells, monitoring cell voltage at the balance tap will remove this significant variable. It'll also tell you whether you have a bum cell and whether the packs have been assembled with matched cells.

Obviously, monitoring voltage at both the load and at the balance tap would be the best of both worlds and will provide an indication of interconnect quality.

Cheers,
Mark
Hi Mark,

No I was not equiped to evaluate each cell on the fly however I did analyze the individual cells before and after and the top performers started within a few tenth's of a volt from each other and ended the same way. Unfortunately I did not record that information.

My dynamic testing will be actually measuring static force generated by the high load EDF during the run as well as current and voltage (reserve %). Hopefully it will prove very informative. I may run closer to the battery packs depletion to get a more conplete curve as opposed to a 60 second run. Still thinking things over and factoring in the good feedback guys like you have been providing.

Thanks,

Joe
MCSGUY is offline Find More Posts by MCSGUY
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:43 AM
aka JetMan Joe
Joined Feb 2010
2,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommox View Post
Can you battery load test or replacement laptop battery test,you can do it.
I'm not sure I understand your question however I do not perform testing on laptop batteries.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:11 AM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSGUY View Post
I'm not sure I understand your question however I do not perform testing on laptop batteries.
That's a spammer ad. I reported it to the admins.
Ohmic is online now Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:14 PM
aka JetMan Joe
Joined Feb 2010
2,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohmic View Post
That's a spammer ad. I reported it to the admins.
Thanks!
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:41 PM
aka JetMan Joe
Joined Feb 2010
2,773 Posts
Finally got moved into our house, still cleaning the old. Shop is a total and completely disorganized mess. For those of you waiting for the Dynamic Lipo comparison testing all I can say is I will begin as soon as I finish the longest "honey do" list I've ever seen. Most likely ~2 weeks from now, I apologize for the delay.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:59 AM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,517 Posts
FYI, I've heard Thunder Power may be changing the bullet size to 6.5mm for the inter-connect on the next generation of packs or whatever their next product line is ;-)

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Feb 28, 2013, 01:31 AM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
4,048 Posts
very cool thread
I would love to know the packs voltage under these amp loads
volts x amps = HP
volts x kv = rpms = thrust = speed
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Last edited by brushless55; Feb 28, 2013 at 01:38 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:25 AM
The 6 P principle works for me
Ventura CA
Joined Aug 2007
980 Posts
Great stuff! Looking forward to more when you are able. Tests like this really seem to "level" the playing field! Thank you for taking it to the next level and for sharing the info!

Michael
elecfryer is offline Find More Posts by elecfryer
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:38 PM
aka JetMan Joe
Joined Feb 2010
2,773 Posts
I am just about done writing the testing software to automate the process of capturing the data. I have proof tested on the bench the AMPS, TEMP and VOLTS but this week I will be working on getting the THRUST data into the system. I have already ran a few break in cycles on those of the 10 battery packs that still needed it. Unfortunately the Genesis 5500mah packs have been disqualified because a cell in one of the two 6S packs was DOA. The original 5000 mah packs puffed out so bad on the previous static tests that I had to dispose of them.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 01:38 PM
Joined Nov 2011
4,048 Posts
Awesome! (volts)
this will tell who is KING!
Old Feb 28, 2013, 02:39 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,850 Posts
why do you want thrust? I would rather see rpm which is essentially the same thing but much easier to record the rpm.
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:13 PM
Joined Nov 2011
4,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
why do you want thrust? I would rather see rpm which is essentially the same thing but much easier to record the rpm.
for him I would think thrust is very important
rpms ok, but thrust baby!
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:21 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,850 Posts
thrust and rpm are the same thing.........and it is much easier to capture rpm
maybe I dont fully understand what the scope of the test is.
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd