HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:18 PM
aka JetMan Joe
Joined Feb 2010
2,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivaylo goranov View Post
Yes
One more point of matter should be considered: it is the proportion between free ions and capacity formatted on the electrodes.
I take that to mean the batteries' "chemistry", correct? This BVM article also refers to it: http://www.bvmjets.com/pages/lipobattbreakin.htm

What is your opinion regarding break in procedures? Are they necessry or helpful?
MCSGUY is offline Find More Posts by MCSGUY
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:05 PM
Joined Jul 2007
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSGUY View Post
I take that to mean the batteries' "chemistry", correct? This BVM article also refers to it: http://www.bvmjets.com/pages/lipobattbreakin.htm

What is your opinion regarding break in procedures? Are they necessry or helpful?
I did not get the matter correct probably?
For what “chemistry” we are talking about?!
It is physical process inside LIPO! The chemistry takes part the effect of LI ion oxidation and losing of the capacity. But it is the trebulogy aspect in process of investidation study.
Sorry it is something wrong!
ivaylo goranov is offline Find More Posts by ivaylo goranov
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:13 PM
aka JetMan Joe
Joined Feb 2010
2,435 Posts
Do you "break in" your new lipo batteries?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:01 PM
Joined Aug 2005
957 Posts
Quote:
So far what I've seen that effects 3D "punch out" is the voltage level held under load.
Does that mean a constant voltage (plotting amps vs time) discharge test might be more meaningfull?
t.edwards is offline Find More Posts by t.edwards
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:23 PM
Joined Jul 2007
266 Posts
Quote:
Do you "break in" your new lipo batteries?
Sorry my English is broken
There is nothing new in the battery kitchen. It is the total regress indication.
New stickers are probably but not ‘’break in’’ in the battery technology.
ivaylo goranov is offline Find More Posts by ivaylo goranov
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:03 PM
aka JetMan Joe
Joined Feb 2010
2,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.edwards View Post
Does that mean a constant voltage (plotting amps vs time) discharge test might be more meaningfull?
IMO the way we use lipos is never at a constant voltage. With my jets I'm pushing as many amps as possible running low passes, on my 3D planes I'm constantly goosing the throttle keeping air moving over my control surfaces and pulling out of hovers, etc. It's been my experience that during times of high amperage demand the higher voltage that a cell still retains reflects an indication of how much "oomph" I have left, either to pull out of a 3D maneuver or coax a few more MPH (RPM). I'm sure v/t graphs have good value however putting batteries under a constant high load and graphing how fast the cell voltage "deflates" tells me more of what I want to know about one battery as compared to another.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:59 PM
Joined Aug 2005
957 Posts
Quote:
IMO the way we use lipos is never at a constant voltage. I'm sure v/t graphs have good value however putting batteries under a constant high load and graphing how fast the cell voltage "deflates" tells me more of what I want to know about one battery as compared to another.
I agree in a way. We don't run constant voltage, but we also don't run constant amps. The only (objective) gauge I have to use is an ET logger and what I find most meaningfull in terms of battery (and aircraft) performance is voltage drop.

Volts is rpm, voltage drop is rpm drop. Ideally I think we'd like constant battery/system voltage.

Just a thought.
t.edwards is offline Find More Posts by t.edwards
Old Jan 01, 2013, 12:40 PM
aka JetMan Joe
Joined Feb 2010
2,435 Posts
In a way we may be saying the same thing because during the WOT conditions I'm interested in evaluating voltage and amps values are linked. As the voltage drops there is less EMF to push the amps through so less amps. However what I am specifically intested in, the reason I am spending the money to do this, is if battery A pushes 180 amps through a device yet retains 3.9v/cell doing so while battery B pushes the same amps through the same device at the same time increment but only retains 3.6v/cell, I want to know it. Especially if I can buy battery A for $150 as opposed to paying $250 for battery B.

Based on this thinking I think I've identified some overpriced (Genesis) and undervalued (Revolectrix) brands and seen others (GensAce) that have rated 25C and 60C units that perform pretty much the same. That's just my opinion so far based on admittedly inconclusive resistive testing. I've purchased fresh samples for the inductive testing I'm planning next so I'll see how they shake out.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:57 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,540 Posts
Great work Joe. Keep up the good work.
Ohmic is online now Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:54 AM
too cheap to be a Plus user
USA, WA, Richland
Joined Nov 2009
1,250 Posts
Thank you for all of your efforts. Great data.

Doug B.
dougbo is online now Find More Posts by dougbo
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:14 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,344 Posts
You probably know this, but if i may suggest, When you do switched inductive testing, try to standardize the current loop area...that is keep the distance between the + and - constant for all batteries tested, and don't unnecessarily lengthen the wires between the battery and FETs.
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:04 PM
aka JetMan Joe
Joined Feb 2010
2,435 Posts
Thanks, I appreciate the advise. I'll be testing the batteries in my FB Jets Velox, that's about a "real life" as it gets The fan is a Schubeler DS-94HST with their DSM6745-700 motor which should start close to 180A on a couple of good 6S lipos. I'll record concurrent Amps, Voltage, and Thrust at 10 second intervals over a 60 WOT run. Before I can get started I have to pull the FighterCat 300A ESC and install a fan to handle the heat. Since I'm also trying to move right now I'm stretched pretty thin so this is a work in process
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:29 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,344 Posts
Wow, that is one nice looking EDF...
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:09 AM
aka JetMan Joe
Joined Feb 2010
2,435 Posts
Thanks, I'm still waiting for the weather to maiden it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:11 PM
aka JetMan Joe
Joined Feb 2010
2,435 Posts
Thanks to MarkF I am added a pair of Dinogy Lipos to the testing pile. These batteries look pretty good, well made and all that and are said to beat out TP's. We will see. Mark sells these (domestic shipping!) for $146.00 each.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MCSGUY; Jan 15, 2013 at 01:29 PM.