HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:21 AM
Joined Mar 2011
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlib View Post
How did he make the hinge? I couldn't find a online seller on his page.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcvGP...&kw=foam%20tac
I did the same thing with household Goop from hardware on my storm chaser and it work very well . Seen it done with hot glue as well but that will go bad in cold weather .
bankheadrc is offline Find More Posts by bankheadrc
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:27 AM
Spearheading an Alliance
United States, CO, Aspen
Joined Oct 2010
794 Posts
Beacon foam tac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree topper View Post
Where do you get Beacon foam tack ? New to me thanks Bob
I usually get mine from rcfoam.com

For the record, while Beacon Foam Tac can be used for hinges, I prefer Goop if I'm going to use this method for hinges.

For gluing foam....nothing but Beacon Foam Tac.

BG
BravoGolf is offline Find More Posts by BravoGolf
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:15 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Oct 2012
162 Posts
hmm thick ca it is. is everybody using the stock control horns and linckages ? or upgrading to something stronger ?
ls1elite is offline Find More Posts by ls1elite
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:21 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Oct 2012
162 Posts
wich one ?

Super-Gold+ Gap Filling Odorless Foam Safe CA - 2 oz

or

Maxi-Cure Thick CA - 2 oz
ls1elite is offline Find More Posts by ls1elite
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:31 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,929 Posts
Doesn't need foam safe CA. Probably wouldn't even work right.
I use ZAP brand Thick CA + ZAP brand Zip Kicker.

Sand all mating surfaces. Spray a little accelerator on one side, and then
let it evap for a few minutes. Apply thick CA to the other side, and press together.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:52 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,132 Posts
Ive been reading a bit of the thread, but instead of cruising through all 90+ pages, im hoping you guys can answer a few questions for me.

Im building a photomapping plane with an ardupilot mega. My only requirement so far is using a 4s 5000 since i have spares from my Z2 wing. Im kinda torn between using my fenwing penguin, the skywalker carbon tail, or the skyhunter.

How well does the SH fly? Any notable bad flight habits? My previous skywalkers ( one 1680 and one 1900) both had decent flight times on a 3s 5000, were relatively stable in flight, and didnt land super fast thanks to the relatively efficient airfoils and low weight. How does the Skyhunter fly?

Thanks in advance,
Matt
Matt Gunn is online now Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bill Hempel Xtreme Decathlon
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:59 PM
Finland, Pirkanmaa, Valkeakoski
Joined Sep 2012
498 Posts
I have followed the thread from the beginning and as far as I have read, the Skyhunter flies well but isn't as good a glider as the Skywalker 1900. I'm also torn between Skyhunter and Skywalker1900, especially as they cost the same now at BEVRC. But as I am also wanna build a UAV with focus on long endurance, I'm probably going for the Skywalker - or an X8 .
Stefan_Go is offline Find More Posts by Stefan_Go
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:24 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,132 Posts
without derailing the thread, you'll love the 1900... I can launch it with as much force as you pitch a paper ball into a waste basket. It really lifts and is efficient.

With regards to the Skyhunter, I guess the glide isnt as important with this photomapping rig as compared to a full FPV rig that wants to hang around and enjoy the view. But I hope it's not a pig!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:56 PM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,208 Posts
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I see all this discussion of various airframes and I look at the advertising blurb, but very rarely is there mention of the wing sections that these models use. Not to be to pedantic, but there is a huge difference between the way a fully symmetrical wing flies, compared to a flat bottom, compared to a heavy undercamber section.
As an example, the 1900 skywalker is heavily undercamber, and as such will fly very slowly, generate lots of lift, will carry heavy loads (ala. thermal soaring glider type wing)... BUT ... very poor for aerobatics, very inefficient and will not be happy flying at high speed. It does though have a semi symmetrical leading edge on the undersurface of the wing ??

Maybe someone could elaborate a bit more? What sort of wing does the SH use??

Mark
kaz1104 is online now Find More Posts by kaz1104
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:17 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz1104 View Post
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I see all this discussion of various airframes and I look at the advertising blurb, but very rarely is there mention of the wing sections that these models use. Not to be to pedantic, but there is a huge difference between the way a fully symmetrical wing flies, compared to a flat bottom, compared to a heavy undercamber section.
As an example, the 1900 skywalker is heavily undercamber, and as such will fly very slowly, generate lots of lift, will carry heavy loads (ala. thermal soaring glider type wing)... BUT ... very poor for aerobatics, very inefficient and will not be happy flying at high speed. It does though have a semi symmetrical leading edge on the undersurface of the wing ??

Maybe someone could elaborate a bit more? What sort of wing does the SH use??

Mark
You're right, the airfoil matters quite a lot.
However, we don't really know what airfoil any of these planes use. They're all
either flat or close to flat bottomed, generally high lift airfoils. Some a bit
faster than others. Whatever the Skyhunter uses, it's reasonably quick and not
totally hopeless flying inverted, as I've demonstrated in my vids.

webdr,
I've posted numerous SH vids on YT demonstrating all aspects of its performance,
including some soaring. What specifically are you looking for?
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?sq=skyhunter

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:46 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,132 Posts
Ill check out your vids first. Thanks!
Matt
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:40 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzparkPilot View Post
Off to my LHS to buy some more extention cables lol...
You could easily make your own. Since flying FPV, I've ordered the crimpers, wire and connectors and make my own extensions. Fewer connections and you can buy already twisted wire so less interference. Its pretty easy to do after some practice.
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:52 AM
Spearheading an Alliance
United States, CO, Aspen
Joined Oct 2010
794 Posts
homemade cables

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
You could easily make your own. Since flying FPV, I've ordered the crimpers, wire and connectors and make my own extensions. Fewer connections and you can buy already twisted wire so less interference. Its pretty easy to do after some practice.

+1 on this

will try to post links later, as I'm out the door....

I picked up 50' of servo cable from servo city, crimpers and all kinds of connectors from HobbyKing.

Not only can you make your own servo cables the precise length you need but these tool come in very handy for making wiring harnesses (looms) for your onboard video equipment.

BG
BravoGolf is offline Find More Posts by BravoGolf
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:59 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,146 Posts
Yea, and you can connect ailerons and flaps servos all at the same time using connectors with 6 wires, or GPS with 4 wires. Opens up a lot of possibilities.
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:05 AM
Joined Apr 2011
263 Posts
Torn between getting the skywalker 2013 and skyhunter. Are the tail booms detachable from the elevator and fuselage?
pyrojets is offline Find More Posts by pyrojets