Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:03 AM
My planes plow into the field
United States, TN, Taft
Joined Oct 2012
623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLuneau View Post
Keith,
Can you tell us a little about landing your SH? Any damage to the propeller or the belly? What is your runway surface?
Good job on your SH!
farmertom
farmertom is offline Find More Posts by farmertom
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:36 AM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,359 Posts
Zero damage, just a few light scratches on the plastic plan as you'd expect. (have to get the light at the right angle to see them lol) Runway is some woven plastic material, a weed barrier used in landscaping.
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:11 AM
Joined Jan 2002
4,359 Posts
Got another flight in Sunday evening... Looks like I got the OSD straight now. It was a matter of setting AHI neutral carefully on the ground and not messing with it in the air. It did drift a little bit after I took off and the airflow through the fuse cooled the OSD, but once it settled down it was locked on. I flew the entire flight in Fly By Wire and RTH modes started a couple minutes into it once it was settling in. I'm happy with that! Plane is flying great too. I went out to 3 miles on this flight, then played around a bit before landing when I got back close. I'll slowly work my way out farther and longer flights as I get it tweaked. Having fun with it already!

Skyhunter, flight #3 (11 min 20 sec)
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:39 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,477 Posts
Can't tell if your prop is turning fast or slow when you're on glide, but
if you can stop it with the brake on the ESC, it'll help your glide ratio.
I really like the low flying stuff. If I lived out there, I'd mount my UHF Tx module up
about 10-15 feet to get it out of the Fresnel zone, and then just bomb around 2 feet
off the ground all the time.

BTW, I suspect your max efficient cruise is about 26mph at about 7A draw.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daemon; Feb 04, 2013 at 02:49 AM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:14 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
6,076 Posts
HOow low can you go !!!

interesting, it looks like you could sustain level flight with 5-6A. I am also surprised that you went for a 4G acceleration at some point in the flight, I wonder if that was during the launch because it all seemed like a very smooth flight to me.
I thought I saw your tail shaking slightly on one of your rear pan views (I tought it was during the glide)
otherwise the plane looks rock solid
rcmonster99 is online now Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:17 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,477 Posts
I saw that 4-5G in his last flight too. I think it's the landing. Seems kinda silly
to basically wipe out any previously recorded peak G loading with a few bumps
on landing, but I think that's what it's doing. They should program it to
ignore the last 5-10 seconds before the aircraft stops.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:29 AM
Joined Jan 2002
4,359 Posts
Ian you're right, the prop is windmilling. I have the brake on but it's set too soft, didn't feel like pulling the plane apart to program the ESC again yet... lol I will do it soon though.

I too noticed the tail shaking a bit, it only does it with the motor off though... I wonder if it's the "dirty" air off the windmilling prop that's causing it? In fact, I noticed the plane was kinda getting bumped around and panned around to look, and sure enough the tail was shaking. I'll remember to check it out once I get the brake on the ESC working properly.

Thanks for the tips on cruise too Ian! I think I need to reset my throttle points for RTH too, right now it's set for 9-10A normal cruise and no throttle for descending. I want to lower the cruise slightly, and raise the lower throttle to maybe 3A or so. When RTH is activated it cuts power to the lower setting and descends to the cruise altitude, then uses the two throttle settings to maintain that alt. I think I'd rather have a slow descent all the way back home than have it drop down to cruise altitude a few miles out then fly back. Of course I can set the cruise altitude, but I don't want to have it 1000' high when it gets home either. Just some stuff I'll tweak and adjust over time as I fly it more.

I honestly don't know how the G forces are recorded. I'm guessing it's either the launch or landing as you pointed out... I doubt I get anywhere close to 4-5 Gs in flight. I haven't even rolled the thing yet, just cruising around right now... lol
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:35 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,477 Posts
You don't want to go too low with your RTH cruise throttle lest you get caught out by the wind
someday when you really need it. What does it do if RTH is activated and you're below
cruise alt? Is there a climb throttle setting as well?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:38 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
6,076 Posts
Quote:
Ian you're right, the prop is windmilling. I have the brake on but it's set too soft, didn't feel like pulling the plane apart to program the ESC again yet... lol I will do it soon though.
Maybe a folding prop would be better ?
rcmonster99 is online now Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:38 AM
RC pilot by soul
Israel
Joined Apr 2005
2,484 Posts
Quote:
i see your Dragon Link UHF antenna is on the wing tip - is that an antenna with a long extension wire from the Rx in the fuse ? if so where can i get one ?
i3dm is offline Find More Posts by i3dm
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:02 PM
Joined Jan 2002
4,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmonster99 View Post
Maybe a folding prop would be better ?
Not a fan of folding props, I don't even use them on my wings, never broke a prop landing yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by i3dm View Post
i see your Dragon Link UHF antenna is on the wing tip - is that an antenna with a long extension wire from the Rx in the fuse ? if so where can i get one ?
It's a normal 36" antenna which leaves a few inches if cable at the wing root for connecting, I have a short 6" SMA extension on the receiver to make it easier to connect the antenna when mounting the wing.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:37 PM
MAR
Houston, Tx
Joined Jun 2004
613 Posts
Rc4y

Called Paypal today......Looks like this guy took me for a fool
I ordered a kit on 31st of January and still not received a tracking number.
I sent them another email asking for a track number and a auto reply said that they're out for the Chinese New Year until Feb 16th.........

Thats when I called Paypal......Thats suck! I should have done my homework on here before ordering

Paypal said no worries and that they are looking into it.

Orlando
marineA4 is offline Find More Posts by marineA4
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:47 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,477 Posts
Not that I'm defending rc4y (I'm their biggest critic), but you'll get pretty much
the same response from *most* small Chinese based businesses this time of year,
for the same reason. And not getting a tracking # in 4 days over a weekend
doesn't really mean anything.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:53 PM
Team Park Pilot - Airborne
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marineA4 View Post
Called Paypal today......Looks like this guy took me for a fool
I ordered a kit on 31st of January and still not received a tracking number.
I sent them another email asking for a track number and a auto reply said that they're out for the Chinese New Year until Feb 16th.........

Thats when I called Paypal......Thats suck! I should have done my homework on here before ordering

Paypal said no worries and that they are looking into it.

Orlando
To get ripped off in any industry is just disgusting - But when it comes to your hobby, where you spend you working money to relax its is just appalling - Mate, this guy is SOO well known for delivering nothing than bad news.. and emply promises. Go with : FPVmodels... you will get what they say they will deliver.
OzparkPilot is offline Find More Posts by OzparkPilot
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:29 AM
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Jun 2011
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Not that I'm defending rc4y (I'm their biggest critic), but you'll get pretty much
the same response from *most* small Chinese based businesses this time of year,
for the same reason. And not getting a tracking # in 4 days over a weekend
doesn't really mean anything.

ian
Agreed.
In light of their annual, three week holiday, there IS a friendly dealer in CA...
MIRV is offline Find More Posts by MIRV