HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:32 AM
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Dec 2012
355 Posts
Farmertom
Servos use metal gear like HS65mg. I installed HS82mg but I made the servo slots larger.
Im using an 11x6 prop with a 900kv motor.
60amp ESC.
For OSD I use Eagle tree and radio I'm using Dragon link
Mark
CambriaHobby is offline Find More Posts by CambriaHobby
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:11 AM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,311 Posts
Here's my maiden flight:

Skyhunter Maiden Flight (13 min 31 sec)
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:37 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
27,681 Posts
Good job. That AHI seems to have a bit of a mind of it's own.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:56 AM
Joined Jan 2002
4,311 Posts
Right, I'm hoping it's something simple like vibration or noise (electrical or RF), I'll see if I can figure it out. The plane flies good, if I can get the AHI dialed in I'll be set for some long flights soon...
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:01 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
5,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marineA4 View Post
Man, I ordered one of these kits last night through RC4Y and now i'm reading all this stuff about the guy being a potential scammer.
I'm a little concerned now........SHould have done my homework on here before ordering.

Hope this company comes clean and sends my kit. He did mention last night by email that it should ship by 48 hours..........Lets see
if you look on the first post, this agent has been added to the list of distributors
rcmonster99 is online now Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:15 AM
FPV Engineer
China, Fujian, Xiamen
Joined Nov 2012
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLuneau View Post
Right, I'm hoping it's something simple like vibration or noise (electrical or RF), I'll see if I can figure it out. The plane flies good, if I can get the AHI dialed in I'll be set for some long flights soon...
good video, you can try more battery flying when the OSD work OK.
skyhunter_1 is offline Find More Posts by skyhunter_1
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:38 AM
My planes plow into the field
United States, TN, Taft
Joined Oct 2012
500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CambriaHobby View Post
Farmertom
Servos use metal gear like HS65mg. I installed HS82mg but I made the servo slots larger.
Im using an 11x6 prop with a 900kv motor.
60amp ESC.
For OSD I use Eagle tree and radio I'm using Dragon link
Mark
Mark,
Thanks for your reply. I have used the HS65MG servos and I like them. Any advice on landing gear? I purchased the belly pan, Do you use that?
Thanks
farmertom
farmertom is offline Find More Posts by farmertom
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:15 PM
Great Britain
Joined Dec 2008
1,524 Posts
Quote:
You can 'set neutrals' in the air but 'set neutral ahi' needs to be done on the ground (since gen5)
MrBen. is offline Find More Posts by MrBen.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:04 AM
Joined Jan 2002
4,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBen. View Post
You can 'set neutrals' in the air but 'set neutral ahi' needs to be done on the ground (since gen5)
Thanks! I flew a second flight today and was having the same issue, and posted a quick clip to show Alex from RV. He told me the same thing, set it on the ground when there's no vibration. Will try again later!
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:46 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
27,681 Posts
Should make sure it's not movement that's the issue, rather than vibration. For instance,
some multi-rotor controllers need to be absolutely stationary to calibrate the level
attitude of the accelerometers in the IMU.

BTW, now that you've flown it a couple times, aren't you hankering to add a set of landing gear,
and rudders, and load it down with 20Ah worth of battery?

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:06 AM
Joined Jan 2002
4,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
BTW, now that you've flown it a couple times, aren't you hankering to add a set of landing gear,
and rudders, and load it down with 20Ah worth of battery?

ian
lol Not so much! Before the first flight I wanted landing gear, simply because it felt heavy enough I was nervous about hand launching it the first time. Standing there holding it before the first flight, it felt like I was about to see how far I could shot-put a brick. Then when I powered it up and it tried to leave my hand, that I thought "Dang this thing wants to fly!" lol Once I threw it I was laughing to myself how I was worried about it. It's easier than launching either of my wings. I'm confident I could throw it pretty easily with two 4S 5000s in it, and might try it one day just to see. I can fit 4 of them in the fuse, but the CG will be too far forward. With my heavy camera setup sitting right on the nose, the single 5000 4S is sitting under the leading edge of the wing, about half of it us under the tray inside. I could slide two back a little bit and keep it balanced, but putting two more in the nose would need a fair amount of weight in the tail to balance it. I already have the tail group all the way back on the booms.

So in short, 10Ah sounds fun, 20Ah sounds like a lot of reconfiguring and more flight time than I care to use! lol On the two flights so far, they were a little short of 20 minutes and used about half a single battery.

By the way, I'm editing some HD video from todays flight right now... Will upload it tonight, but it takes a while on my slow DSL out here in the sticks. (256Kbps upload) Will post it when it's done!
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:16 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
27,681 Posts
Ya, if you can get your hands around the fuse, and avoid the urge to put em back on the curve
in front of the prop, it's really easy to launch. I usually give it a couple clicks of up trim
for launch but it always flies straight and true out of my hand even with no headwind. The only scary
launch was the very first one, when I was at the factory recommended nose-heavy CG, and it
wanted to plow into the dirt 20 feet in front of me, even with 3 clicks of up trim.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:47 AM
Joined Jan 2002
4,311 Posts
I agree, I usually hold it just in front of the CG to the tail wants to drop, then when I power up it doesn't try to nose down out of my hand. Having the plastic skid makes it easier to grip too. I can't really get my hand around the fuse, it's too wide! I have a switch programmed to put 10% "up" on the elevator, I do that for my wings to make it easier to launch those overhead with the power off. I figured it would be a good idea for the Skyhunter also, after reading about your first launch... lol I started with the CG right on the spar, and it's still there for now. I can probably move it back some more though. It doesn't fly bad where it's at now, but I don't see the need to move it forward for sure.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:52 AM
Joined Jan 2002
4,311 Posts
Quote:
Will post it when it's done!
HD footage from the Skyhunter (3 min 55 sec)
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:12 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
5,866 Posts
Quote:
fantastic pan and tilt action there...And I am still well impressed and jealous of your landing strip
rcmonster99 is online now Find More Posts by rcmonster99