to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:22 PM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
6,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BldrFlyr View Post
I like that little foam wheel. Nice mod.
yes but talk about over engineering
It's like taking a cannon to kill a flea !!
rcmonster99 is offline Find More Posts by rcmonster99
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:27 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,606 Posts
Power67

I just ordered some of your very neat "Landing Gears"....I just wanted to know, what wheels are the 'exact' fit on your Landing Gears? Thank you for those pics, I've been looking for similiar simple Landing Gears

http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/the-24...--Super/Detail

or

rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:39 PM
Joined Feb 2006
29 Posts
Landing Gear wheel size

those 2" wheels would be fine.

I used a set of these

http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-4006.html

they seem well made and are cheap.

there is just enough room on each side of the tire for a small washer to act as a shim.

Thank you all for the interest in the landing gear. Looks like I will have to make some more.

They may seem a bit beefy, but I figured 6 lbs of plane coming down on around 2" of contact area in a hot landing needed the extra strength. The holes in the sides are for the glue to bind into as well.
power67 is offline Find More Posts by power67
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:55 PM
USA
Joined May 2010
4,606 Posts
you gonna sell a bunch of these (especially on the SkyWalker threads).
These 'semi-hidden' Land Gears are cool and simple (ie... on the Penguin, easy Rolling TakeOff).....

edit....
I just bought the 2" wheels from RcDude.com

I'll and install it 'side-by-side' similiar to this(Last Picture).....
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=12466
Last edited by rclab1; Jan 28, 2013 at 10:15 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:06 PM
Joined Feb 2006
29 Posts
Landing Gear Options

rclab1, I am making a custom set up for someone that is double wide. I think it will fit the fuse much better that the 2 single sets. The fuse starts to round up on the sides and the flat plate of the gear will not bend around that corner. So if you go singles you will have to put them so the outside of the wheels will be about 1" in from the sides. 1/2" for the corner, and 1/2" for the plate. Do you want one of the Double Wheels instead? here is what they will look like.

Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:39 PM
Team Park Pilot - Airborne
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,475 Posts
Thats very impressive - Wish I could do that :-)
OzparkPilot is online now Find More Posts by OzparkPilot
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:02 AM
FPV Engineer
China, Fujian, Xiamen
Joined Nov 2012
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLuneau View Post
Looks good, but how much does it weigh?
sticker, all add 220g

220g is nothing for skyhunter. empty plane 900g, max take off 3500-3800g
skyhunter_1 is offline Find More Posts by skyhunter_1
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:02 AM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,362 Posts
I got most of the electronics done, all mounted to the "tray". Right now I'm waiting on some more long extensions to make the run to the elevator, and the bell pan. In the mean time, I'll get the vTX embedded into one wing, and the UHF antenna on the other. I should have it in the air by the end of the week if everything goes as planned! Here's the important parts... lol
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:30 AM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,362 Posts
More pictures with the tray in place... It's in the upper set of grooves here, but I think it might fit better in the lower set... I'll see what works best later. All the plugs on top are easily accessible when mounting/removing the wings, and all the ones up front are easy to get to with the pod off for swapping batteries or unplugging the pod from the plane. The fuselage dwarfs the hardcase 4S 5000s I'll be using. I can easily slide them back under the CG, and mount them side by side. I can easily put 4 of them in it for 20,000mAh, but I doubt I'll ever try it. I'm most likely going to fly it with one, possibly two if I don't get long enough flights with one. I'd live to get it balanced with one or two up front and leave the space open at the CG for adding/removing extra batteries and not needing to re-balance it. No need to worry about all that at this point though! lol

PS- Forgot to mention the ESC, you can see it mounted in the lower rear of the fuselage, it's an 80A Hobbywing Platinum. Probably overkill, but I had it sitting around so why not! ...And yes that's a Deans on the battery, I intend to swap my 4S stuff over to XT60s... lol I'll swap them on the batteries and on my Skywalker soon, since they'll share these packs.
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:37 AM
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Feb 2008
305 Posts
Power67 so do you suggest one double wheel should be used instead of two single wheels because the double wheel fits the bottom of the fuse better?
tupelo is offline Find More Posts by tupelo
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:03 AM
USA
Joined May 2010
4,606 Posts
Power67,

Yes I like that better, send me those 'double' ones.....
SkyWalker owners would love these too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by power67 View Post
rclab1, I am making a custom set up for someone that is double wide. I think it will fit the fuse much better that the 2 single sets. The fuse starts to round up on the sides and the flat plate of the gear will not bend around that corner. So if you go singles you will have to put them so the outside of the wheels will be about 1" in from the sides. 1/2" for the corner, and 1/2" for the plate. Do you want one of the Double Wheels instead? here is what they will look like.

Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:45 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,242 Posts
Interesting idea with those wheels. I considered something similar on my Skywalker but I am not sure what the purpose is on this plane? Is it just to protect the belly of the plane on landing? Otherwise, it can't be used for takeoff and will cause a longer than normal rolling landing without directional control (there may be some rudder control on the ground with one wheel but with 2, one in the front and one in the rear, there wouldn't be much at all would there?) Or are you planning on using a super small prop to attempt takeoffs? Am I missing something?
techspy is offline Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:36 PM
Joined Feb 2006
29 Posts
Tupelo, these things are like an 87 buick, everyone has a different way to customize it. you have to balance strength with weight. You can build it to withstand a very hard landing, but you may never get it off the ground.

and, as Techspy and others has pointed out, with no rudder in its stock form, ground manuvering is not going to be possible without a steerable wheel in the system. I call this type of landing system a Point and Shoot. Its main purpose is to protect the belly during landing and if you are brave, a low angle take off. I think hand lanching is still the best method.

I put 2 singles on mine and mounted the rear as close to back as possible. With this, you get an additional 1.25" of ground clearance and some ability to angle back before a prop strike. I put a 12" prop on mine and can pull the nose up only about 3/4" or about 5 deg.
but it is completely up to you which ever way you go.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:39 PM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Nov 2012
124 Posts
SH build

I'm about done installing the Ruby on my SH. Jim and I will work on the configuration files this week and get the software up to speed for this airframe so it flies nice in aided, auto, loiter and RTH modes. As you can see, I mounted my ezuhf rx on the wing with the Ruby air/mag sensor off the LE. I'll be putting my vtx on the other wing. Ruby GPS is in front of the wing atop the fuse. I'll be using the new Ruby OSD for this plane which interfaces with Ruby's existing hardware. This will make a clean install with no extra GPS, current sensors etc.
BldrFlyr is offline Find More Posts by BldrFlyr