HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:39 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,465 Posts
I thought most people wanted gear, so they can taxi and take off from it, not
just make their landing roll/skid longer.

As for the v-stab hinges. How do you intend to keep them from trying to depart
the plane in different directions at high airspeeds? Lots of tape?

BTW, can make posts shorter by actually attaching the images (Go Advanced - Manage Attachments)
rather than inlining into the post.
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daemon; Jan 28, 2013 at 12:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:54 AM
Joined Feb 2006
29 Posts
My Sky Hunter Mods and Build Tips 4...Belly Pan Installation

The plastic belly pan is a great idea. The problem is it may not fit just right to the fuse. With a gental heating from a heat gun and some spray glue. I was able to get most of it to lay nice. The rearmost section had to be split up the center and overlaped. Again, this may not be the case for you, my fuse had some issues.

The other issue is how to get it to look nice. Here is what I would suggest as it worked out ok for me.

I have painted quite a few car bodies for friends and such before and I know that you are only going to get the paint to stick so much so every bit helps.

I like to use Faskolor brand airbrush paint because it is made for lexan and has a fair bit of flex in the paint. It is a bit expensive at around 4 bucks for a small bottle but I think it is worth it.

I lightly sanded the entire inside with some 300 grit sandpaper. I then washed the plastic with dishsoup and water. Let dry.

I wanted to bling my paint out a bit so I mixed some red highlight faschange into some charcoal black, but you can use anything you like.
I then applied a very light mist (almost like an overspray) to the entire inside of the belly pan. then I gave it a good heating with a hair dryer. (do not overheat! you will warp the plastic). after the overspray is heatcured, I fully coated the interior of the pan with the paint being sure not to overdue it. Heat as before.
Give the paint a few hours to fully cure. It will never harden so be carefull not to scratch the inside, the paint will come off.
I then lightly sprayed the inside with a mist coat of spray adheasive, waited a few minutes and then wet it out with spray adheasive.

Starting at the front, work from the centerline out to the edges and smooth the pan into place. When I got to the tail end of the fuse, that is where the issues began to really show themselves, I could not get it to lay flat. So I cut the pan up the center (along the fuse joint) up to just before the bottom flat begins. I then worked the pan from the sides in and allowed the plastic to overlap at the center.
I warmed the plastic slightly with a heat gun to get the reset to lay flat. but be very careful not to cook the foam.

Here is the outcome.

power67 is offline Find More Posts by power67
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:03 AM
Joined Feb 2006
29 Posts
Daemon,
you do know that all this is your fault right.....lol your videos made me get this bird.

Anyway, as for the Landing gear, they add some height to the fuse so a low angle take off should be no problem.

As for the Vertical Stabs, I pulled and pushed them very hard from all directions and they do not want to depart from the plasic support at all. I think you would shear the foam before you lost anything around the hinge. They are buried up inside the V-Stab and the clamp and pin hold them from going side to side.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:24 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,465 Posts
Strange that my videos always inspire people do things totally differently.

Can't taxi without steerable nose wheel. Will take off in whatever random direction it
decides it wants to go after it hits the first bump. Crosswind landings, likewise.

Yes, you will shear the foam around the hinges. The foam is the weak point.
I had to glue my tail together in two spots today before flying.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:51 AM
Joined Feb 2006
29 Posts
Ian,
you are correct about the steerable nose gear, It will be a point and shoot. I have had this on a few planes before and with the power that the Shy Hunter has, it will not be on the ground for long. I will be posting later a mod tail group that will take care of that issue. My first thought was to save the belly from abuse during landing/skidding. Hand launching was always my first method of takeoff.

The tail group is by far the weakest part of the plane. It is very heavy for it functionality and very weak. I have begun building an inverted V-tail for this exact reason.

if you needed to glue your fixed version anyway, the extra support that the pin gussets I have added will only make th foam around that area stronger. In any event, if it is breaking in its stock configuration, I have nothing to loose by trying something different.

BTW, your videos do benifit others by trying something different, your video of the hard landing and breaking the control rod is why I flipped the tail upside down.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:00 AM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,509 Posts
check 2:30 for Daemon's HandLaunch.

FPV Ground Station Overview - 6 Different Set-Ups (3 min 14 sec)
rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:05 AM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,509 Posts
power67
PM me, I would like to get/buy a pair of those landing gears:-)

Thanks for the pics!
rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:32 AM
hey whats burning?
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Oct 2007
664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmertom View Post
Very nice video! Nice image quality. What camera are you using? Landing on the road looks like it could do some damage to the bottom. What condition was the bottom in after that landing?
farmertom
The camera is a GoPro Hero 2. The bottom of the plane is covered with heavy duty packing tape and it was fine. I made that same landing a couple more times and all was good. Without the tape I'm sure it would have been bad for the plane.
metalbender4by is offline Find More Posts by metalbender4by
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:52 AM
hey whats burning?
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Oct 2007
664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1 View Post
check 2:30 for Daemon's HandLaunch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZOdW...Wg6oAg&index=1
Nice video. Its interesting to see the all the different set ups.

Oh and I noticed I could here that Colorado breeze blowing and you guy were wearing jackets. It was 75 here in Florida most of the week end.
metalbender4by is offline Find More Posts by metalbender4by
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:45 AM
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Dec 2012
405 Posts
Does any one in that video use 2.4ghz?
CambriaHobby is offline Find More Posts by CambriaHobby
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:07 AM
United States, MA, Sturbridge
Joined Jun 2008
1,016 Posts
most everyone was on 1.3 band somewhere for video. one or two were running 2.4 for video and i think everyone was on UHF control. in fact a failsafe crashed my tricopter and i was out for the day. yes the wind was blowing hard!
slowjett is offline Find More Posts by slowjett
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:33 AM
FPV Pilot
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2007
2,460 Posts
Is that a vinyl wrap? How well does it protect the foam?
blueprint is offline Find More Posts by blueprint
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:40 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,359 Posts
Looks good, but how much does it weigh?
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:24 PM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Nov 2012
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by power67 View Post
OK,
Now for the debate on LG, I wanted to be able to put some sort of landing gear on the fuse without adding a huge amount of weight and drag. I thought a glider gear setup would be enough and started looking around for a setup that would work. I could not find any so I made some.

They are designed to work with a 2" wheel.
These lock into place in the fuse and can handle a great deal of weight load. I made them out of Garolite, it is a impact resistant resin board much like G10 but easier to machine and glue. They can be put in before or after the fuse halves are joined. Use thin CA for parts and whatever glue you want to hold to foam, I use UHU.

Sorry for the size of the post, I just thought people might like the idea.

I will have some extra sets available if anyone is interested. Drop me a PM.

Parts lock together even without glue for great alignment!

A simple notch in the fuse is all you need to install.

A small amount of instant CA (after sanding) holds assembly together great.

Again, Sorry for the size of the post.
Ross
I like that little foam wheel. Nice mod.
BldrFlyr is offline Find More Posts by BldrFlyr