HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2013, 05:29 PM
Rotor Addict
United States, VA, Leesburg
Joined Dec 2008
511 Posts
Ok guys, I think I'll toss these 82MG's on the classifieds or eBay and get either 65 or 85's. Thanks for the advice.

I generally stay away from HK electronics too but the Plush ESC's have been known to be pretty reliable. Not worried about the SK3 motor either.
naryan is offline Find More Posts by naryan
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2013, 08:17 PM
Joined Jun 2013
40 Posts
What ESC do you guys think is the best for running a 12x6 and NTM 35-48 900kv on 14.8v? Also should I use a built in BEC or an external BEC?
Spoter368 is offline Find More Posts by Spoter368
Old Nov 13, 2013, 08:59 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,370 Posts
eCalc predicts that motor/prop combo will max out around 43A, but it also says
the motor could overheat, which appears to be due to low efficiency in the 70's%.
It's also predicting a pitch speed of only around 48mph, which is really slow.
I regularly cruise around with my SH at 50-55mph at only 20-25A.
I find it interesting to compare that against something like the Scorpion SII-3020-890
which has a slightly lower Kv, pulls more current but generates a heck of a lot more thrust,
with efficiency around 90%.

Whether you use the ESC's built in BEC or not depends on the quality of the ESC
and the likelihood of flying your main pack flat or not. Many will recommend a separate
BEC. I've never used one for the Rx, but I don't skimp on the quality of the ESC either.
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2013, 09:21 PM
Santi
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by naryan View Post
Ok guys, I think I'll toss these 82MG's on the classifieds or eBay and get either 65 or 85's. Thanks for the advice.

I generally stay away from HK electronics too but the Plush ESC's have been known to be pretty reliable. Not worried about the SK3 motor either.
I've seen plenty using the plush with good results. You'll be fine there. Generally the servos are the most important thing not to skimp on. I cringe when I see people put $10 servos on $1000 of equipment! :O
DaaBears is offline Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Nov 13, 2013, 10:34 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Oct 2010
283 Posts
Skyhunter Dawn Patrol

Did a dawn flight with the Skyhunter, this morning (it was COLD!). I am trying a few new things. On the HD OSD overlay stuff I'm using an effect that shows the OSD text that varies depending on the background video, so it shows up really well on the sky and ground parts of the scene ( you can really see it on the center bulls-eye when the plane pitches across the horizon). I also am flying with the Hero+ at narrow 1080p 60fps - one of my first flights with the camera. I've never caught the sun right at sunrise before (just as it comes above the horizon) so that was kinda cool... I also may have chased down all my vibrations. (no slo-mo on the vid - all realtime) Anyway, enjoy!

-Mike
Dawn Patrol (3 min 21 sec)
rver157 is offline Find More Posts by rver157
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2013, 12:03 AM
Joined May 2011
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rver157 View Post
Did a dawn flight with the Skyhunter, this morning (it was COLD!). I am trying a few new things. On the HD OSD overlay stuff I'm using an effect that shows the OSD text that varies depending on the background video, so it shows up really well on the sky and ground parts of the scene ( you can really see it on the center bulls-eye when the plane pitches across the horizon). I also am flying with the Hero+ at narrow 1080p 60fps - one of my first flights with the camera. I've never caught the sun right at sunrise before (just as it comes above the horizon) so that was kinda cool... I also may have chased down all my vibrations. (no slo-mo on the vid - all realtime) Anyway, enjoy!

-Mike
https://vimeo.com/79365719
It was definitely a bit chilly this morning but not near as bad as it has been (at least down in Morrison). Nice video!
Valince is offline Find More Posts by Valince
Old Nov 14, 2013, 02:28 AM
Joined Nov 2010
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by typicalaimster View Post
I agree with you. I'm willing to bet the foam squished before the servo gave up.
After considering it some more I agree. I knew the elevator would be a weak part of the design so I covered it in laminate, hinged it with proper hinges and replaced the control horn and link, but it was still fairly bendy. Combined with a heavy plane, little servo and some fairly ambitious acrobatics something went wrong.

I've since replaced my elevator with balsa, with fibre tape and laminate, and installed an hs-82mg. I'll keep a look out for the centring issue as the plane gets some hours on it, thanks for the heads-up.

HC
HighwayChild is offline Find More Posts by HighwayChild
Old Nov 14, 2013, 10:03 AM
United States, TX, Santa Fe
Joined Oct 2011
143 Posts
Looking at the Scorpion SII-3026-710KV Motor with a 12x6e prop on with 4s battery. What do you think?
FPVgrunt is offline Find More Posts by FPVgrunt
Old Nov 14, 2013, 10:58 AM
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,245 Posts
I have put 14-MG's on all my surfaces, been using them for years on my 90mm EDF's. Don't see any reason they wont work here.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...aft_servo.html

MG-14
Weight: 14g
Dimension: 23*12.2*29mm
Stall torque: 2.2kg/cm(4.8V )2.5kg/cm(6V)
Operating speed: 0.11sec/60degree(4.8v), 0.10sec/60degree(6v)
Operating voltage: 4.8-6.0V
Dead band width: 10us
davecrash is offline Find More Posts by davecrash
Old Nov 14, 2013, 11:26 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVgrunt View Post
Looking at the Scorpion SII-3026-710KV Motor with a 12x6e prop on with 4s battery. What do you think?
eCalc will tell you everything you need to know.
That motor is too big, and too slow, to be optimal with that prop.
Peak efficiency occurs all the way up at 35A
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2013, 11:30 AM
Joined Oct 2011
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
eCalc will tell you everything you need to know.
That motor is too big, and too slow, to be optimal with that prop.
Peak efficiency occurs all the way up at 35A
So what would you suggest for a 4s Setup. Looking for long distance and just a tad sporty.
I'm not looking to burn thru the sky with this plane.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 11:35 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,370 Posts
SII-3020-910 with a 12x7 or 12x8 prop.
Could run a 12x8 to 12x8.5 on the 3026 but you'd still be wasting the power of the motor.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2013, 02:18 PM
Joined Oct 2011
143 Posts
Thanks Ian!! One more question. I want to use a scorpion esc. What amp draw should I be looking at. I have a scorpion esc rated for 45 amps on another plane but I don't know what I should plan for with the SII-3020-910 motor.

Thanks for all your help with both myself and the FPV community!
Old Nov 14, 2013, 02:32 PM
Joined Oct 2011
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVgrunt View Post
Thanks Ian!! One more question. I want to use a scorpion esc. What amp draw should I be looking at. I have a scorpion esc rated for 45 amps on another plane but I don't know what I should plan for with the SII-3020-910 motor.

Thanks for all your help with both myself and the FPV community!
Ok...Im looking for the SII-3020-910 and can't find it. I think the last 3 numbers of the motor you gave me may be incorrect.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 03:10 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,370 Posts
Sorry, try 890, and ESC should probably be rated for at least 70A
RCG Plus Member