HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2013, 02:52 PM
Marshall Islands, Enewetak Atoll
Joined Sep 2011
1,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Hot glue is a poor adhesive for adding "strength". Great for adding weight.
Not the hot glue I'm using, almost impossible to remove, easy on the eyes also.
Can't say the same about the Kevlar, wow! Ugly.

Trying to keep the good looks of the Skyhunter for a little while, I'll likely feel different after it gets dinged up some.
ecworks is offline Find More Posts by ecworks
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2013, 03:32 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,936 Posts
You'll feel different after you've broken the tail group a couple times
during assembly/disassembly or transport, or just a bumpy landing. I could care
less about what an FPV plane looks like, because I don't have to look at em, while I fly it,
but it'll look a lot cleaner on the white foam.

My point is, no amount of added hot glue will make it any less likely to fail.
The foam breaks/tears at the edge of the plastic tab that sticks out at the L joint between
vertical and horizontal stabs. There's less than half thickness worth of foam there.
The only way to strengthen it, is to add something that attaches to the foam
and spans that L joint, both inside and out. It doesn't have to be Kevlar, but it
does have to be something.

Kevlar's primary advantage (over glass or carbon cloth) is that it is very hard to crack or
tear, even when glued with CA, so it goes on very quickly and provides a great deal
of strength while retaining some ability to flex with the foam.
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daemon; Jul 16, 2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 04:09 PM
Joined Sep 2011
1,074 Posts
Kevlar available in white?
Old Jul 16, 2013, 04:13 PM
Joined Sep 2011
1,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
I could care less about what an FPV plane looks like, because I don't have to look at em, while I fly it,.
I've flown ugly FPV planes almost exclusively. Most of mine look like they've been floating in the ocean for a couple months. Having a good looking airframe is kind of a novelty for me. I'm trying to keep this one looking nice.

If white Kevlar is available that might be the way I'll go. Although the gold colored Kevlar will go with the Scorpion.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 04:45 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,936 Posts
No, Kevlar is always the same color, but it shows through a bit of what's behind it.
Part of the reason it looks nasty on my SH, is that it's the grey foam, and I had
to sand away the grey coating to get good adhesion, but what you see below that is
white beads with grey circles around every one. Some of that shows through
the Kevlar, as well as all the uneven sanding around the edges. None of that
will show over solid white.
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daemon; Jul 16, 2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:21 AM
Joined Sep 2011
1,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLuneau View Post
Then you're not doing it right!

The SH flies inverted and outside loops just fine. I might not try it with a heavy load of batteries, but typically I fly one 4S 5000 in mine. That's one thing I like about this plane, it has a wide envelope, It can fly heavy, light, fast, slow, inverted, upright, calm, windy, and anywhere in between.
After 2 days with my new white SH I now agree:

Inverted flight: check
barrel rolls: check
inside loop: check
Cuban eight: check
1/2 Cuban eight: check
Vertical dive (unpowered) from 1000'
Pugachev's Cobra: fail
(Without rudders its hard to do some of the really fun stuff like wing-overs)

As long as you don't pull too many g's when performing acrobatics and just do nice lazy versions of these maneuvers it shouldn't stress the airframe too much, especially if you fly with smaller batteries. With loops I usually start them 1/2 throttle and then at the top I cut power and glide thru the bottom of the loop so speed doesn't build up too much so you can pull out nice and easy without too much g-force.
It is really easy to perform these using FPV (if you have enough altitude for a safety margin) as you easily can see what the plane is doing relative to the horizon.
Last edited by ecworks; Jul 17, 2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:51 AM
Joined Sep 2011
1,074 Posts
Looking for pics of your layout 433 rx and vid tx installations on the Skyhunter.

Also, pics of your sliding tray showing how you laid things out there.

I'm working out the bugs of my new SH on 2.4 but will set up for FPV soon and I'm looking for ideas.

thanks,
Old Jul 18, 2013, 01:17 PM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Apr 2013
171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecworks View Post
I've flown ugly FPV planes almost exclusively. Most of mine look like they've been floating in the ocean for a couple months. Having a good looking airframe is kind of a novelty for me. I'm trying to keep this one looking nice.

If white Kevlar is available that might be the way I'll go. Although the gold colored Kevlar will go with the Scorpion.
You can buy the white Sharpie paint pens and paint the kevlar. I paint mine black.
fliteevolution is offline Find More Posts by fliteevolution
Old Jul 18, 2013, 01:20 PM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Apr 2013
171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecworks View Post
Looking for pics of your layout 433 rx and vid tx installations on the Skyhunter.

Also, pics of your sliding tray showing how you laid things out there.

I'm working out the bugs of my new SH on 2.4 but will set up for FPV soon and I'm looking for ideas.

thanks,
You'll find lots of setup pics in this forum. Go under thread tools and select "show attachments in this thread".
fliteevolution is offline Find More Posts by fliteevolution
Old Jul 18, 2013, 04:05 PM
Denmark, Region Zealand, Soro
Joined May 2011
32 Posts
Skyhunter OSD GS test

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=JrDV3esb7Ko
oz1mfp is offline Find More Posts by oz1mfp
Old Jul 18, 2013, 10:57 PM
Joined Nov 2012
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz1mfp View Post
I noticed that you have the PitLab. I have not finished assembly yet. I am awaiting parts ext. I too purchased the PiLab. When I get far enough to try configuring the PiLab with an airplane without rudders, what settings and subjects should I be studying when I get that far?
rgratton08 is offline Find More Posts by rgratton08
Old Jul 19, 2013, 02:30 AM
Denmark, Region Zealand, Soro
Joined May 2011
32 Posts
See the PitLab forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgratton08 View Post
I noticed that you have the PitLab. I have not finished assembly yet. I am awaiting parts ext. I too purchased the PiLab. When I get far enough to try configuring the PiLab with an airplane without rudders, what settings and subjects should I be studying when I get that far?
See user's manual autopilot.
Set the type of model and tail.
In the OSD menu : autopilot-mixers
oz1mfp is offline Find More Posts by oz1mfp
Last edited by oz1mfp; Jul 19, 2013 at 04:21 AM.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 03:07 PM
Croatia, City of Zagreb, Zagreb
Joined May 2013
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporalB View Post
Just got back in from the maiden flight, and it was brilliant. went without a hitch.

things to note:

I was flying around at about 40-60% throttle most of the time, so really sucked up the mah from the 3000mah LiPo, this is not necessary as it flies really well very slowly. I took this into account on the second LiPo and used up half the mah, for the same flight time. I will eventually be putting in 2 x 3000mah in parallel so I have started to get a good idea of how long I could fly. I reckon I could easily get 20 minutes from a single 3000mah 3S, 40+ mins from 2 x 3300mah (just ordered) in parallel.

I cant get over how maneuverable this massive beast is. even at low speed it turns on a dime and doesn't stall or drop a wing.... it WANTS to be in the sky!!

StormOSD performed without fault, the PA mode was very stable and RTH was perfect. no wobble, gains just right at 70%

was running the FPV gear (via StormOSD) from a single 2200mah 3S, which still had 12.4V left in it after landing the second LiPo, very reliable setup.

The received image on the GS was very fuzzy, my family reported "lines and snow" throughout both flights, but the goggles were perfect image at all times. I think the GS RX might have been on a close but not same channel as VTX, either that or my goggle's built in RX is just flippin amazing. both RX have Flyn's skew planar antennas, as does the VTX on the plane.

VTX will not need to be relocated to either wing, like I said, perfect image in the goggles for the duration of both flights, I have a new DVR on the way from BEVRC so hope to show the received image at some point in the future.

All in all, a great evening at the field, here are some pictures the missus was good enough to take for my whilst also being my spotter and occasionally groping my arse saying "will this make you crash?" lol
Can you pleas put a picture od storm setup (first page whit gains).

If you have.

thanks
Crolaser is offline Find More Posts by Crolaser
Last edited by Crolaser; Jul 19, 2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 04:21 PM
United States, PA, Norristown
Joined May 2012
640 Posts
Can someone please tell me what the dimensions of the wing bolts are?

Thanks
-Jeng
Jengaleng is offline Find More Posts by Jengaleng
Old Jul 19, 2013, 04:39 PM
Joined Apr 2012
937 Posts
main wing = 5mm
boom = 3mm
timtimtim is offline Find More Posts by timtimtim