Helsinki, Finland
Joined Feb 2008
293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Dunno how you pulled that off. Mine will fly with a single 3S 4000 battery
and it's still several inches back from the nose. A single 3S 5000 is
more than halfway under the wing, and 2x4Ah or 2x5Ah are pretty much
entirely under the wing. The only weight up front is GoPro (not in its case)
on a pan servo.
So it sounds like a heavy servo in the tail makes sense. Especially if one files with 3s 5Ah x 2 and a Gopro3 - in its case. I am afraid to fly my brand new 3 Black edition without itīs protective case you see.
tupelo is offline Find More Posts by tupelo
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2013, 09:12 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtimtim View Post
How many mm is that? 80mm?
75-80, which may still be a bit nose heavy but it flies so good I just left it alone after the maiden flight.
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old May 24, 2013, 10:32 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,195 Posts
That is pretty nose heavy. It flies a lot more efficiently with it moved back
with less tendency to nose up at higher speeds, and it does not get pitchy at high
speeds with the CG back, like the Skywalker does.
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old May 24, 2013, 11:18 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,359 Posts
That's the thing though, mine flies great with the CG on the spar. Pitch trim remains the same from 25mph to 60, and it only needs a touch of "down" to fly inverted. It will already match my Skywalker 1900 in terms of efficiency, if not beat it.

All that said, maybe it's just that the RVOSD masks any nose-heavy characteristics... lol I do tend to fly in FBW more often than not.
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old May 24, 2013, 11:23 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,195 Posts
Yes, FBW will mask all ills.
I started with the CG at stock recommended 75mm and going slow it wanted to fall
on its face, and going fast it wanted to pull up hard. That's classic nose heavy
symptoms. Moved it back over a few flights and it got more and more
neutral and efficient, but will still cruise pretty much hands off.
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old May 25, 2013, 03:39 AM
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined Jan 2004
926 Posts
I can sort of figure most of it out, but it would sure be nice if there were instructions on how to assemble the FPV Models pod kit and GoPro gimbal. Anyone have anything?
eroeder is offline Find More Posts by eroeder
RCG Plus Member
Old May 25, 2013, 03:50 AM
Joined Apr 2012
921 Posts
But i cant get why my SH is so heavy in the back? is it becuase i dont have a gopro on the front or why? but i will maiden her with battery in front and cg about 95mm, im still a little worried about launch and that prop.. hopefyllt i will have all my fingers left when i throw 1.9kg in the air
timtimtim is offline Find More Posts by timtimtim
Old May 25, 2013, 08:21 AM
Joined Oct 2011
462 Posts
Thanks Fransbr
Yes 2 1000mW each @ 1.3 GHz, I just installed a video splitter, yes I use Gopro2 for OSD and recording, shielded with cooper foild, 3 blade prop 12x6, 50 Amps peak, 60 A ESC, 32 770 turnigy motor easy match, eagletree OSD, Dragon Link, 16000 mah battery 14.6 volts, BEC 6 volts with 1500 mah battery, 11.1 v, ominidierctional anntena and skew planar.
Ground station is eagleeyes,telemetry and diversity, yagi 13 dBi, skew plannar antenna, 2 receivers with saw filter.
One transmitter @ 1280, anotherone @ 1360. All system ground tested, unfortunately there is too much wind today, so I quit to test it! I hope there will be better weather conditions tomorrow, let you know if there is not any kind of interference in the air
Should be fine with this set up, right? I hope!!!!
gtlavin56 is online now Find More Posts by gtlavin56
Old May 25, 2013, 09:51 AM
Joined Jun 2012
811 Posts
I know this has been asked before, but where are all your tails located on the tail booms? They're not at max length are they?
Nereth is offline Find More Posts by Nereth
RCG Plus Member
Old May 25, 2013, 10:42 AM
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Mar 2005
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdr View Post
Tim, if you take the prop off and still have the vibes as you described, balance the motor can with a piece of tape.

If you take the prop off and run it up, and the vibes stop on the Z axis, you will need to keep working on that prop. Check your tip as well as hub balance, and make sure the prop tracks straight and your motor shaft is 100% straight. Spin the prop while looking at its path against a white wall, if the blades have a slightly different arc, you'll get vibes that will always be there regardless of balance. Take a sanding block and run the base of the hub where it touches the motor over the sanding block. That will take out any flashing lips or high/low spots on the mounting surface. I do this to all my props and always can see the high spot after sanding it. Blade tracking is as important as balance.
you just solved an issue i couldn't track down. Thanks!
xxkiloxx is offline Find More Posts by xxkiloxx
Old May 25, 2013, 12:30 PM
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Dec 2012
384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eroeder View Post
I can sort of figure most of it out, but it would sure be nice if there were instructions on how to assemble the FPV Models pod kit and GoPro gimbal. Anyone have anything?
Try this out.
It should help.
http://www.cambriahobby.com/misc/Sky...20assembly.pdf
Mark
CambriaHobby is offline Find More Posts by CambriaHobby
Old May 25, 2013, 01:31 PM
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined Jan 2004
926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CambriaHobby View Post
Thanks!
I also appreciate www.cambriahobby.com creating the document!
eroeder is offline Find More Posts by eroeder
RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2013, 10:49 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereth View Post
I know this has been asked before, but where are all your tails located on the tail booms? They're not at max length are they?
Depends on who you ask. I'm flush with the boom holder. Daemon has scooted his tail in a bit so the boom protects the end of the tail.
typicalaimster is online now Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Old May 26, 2013, 11:27 AM
Joined Jun 2012
811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by typicalaimster View Post
Depends on who you ask. I'm flush with the boom holder. Daemon has scooted his tail in a bit so the boom protects the end of the tail.
My plane doesn't yet have all its electronics in it yet because of shipping delays (it's been months!) but it's really tail heavy unless I slide the tail well forward. Kind of concerning.
Nereth is offline Find More Posts by Nereth
RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2013, 12:18 PM
Norway
Joined Aug 2011
243 Posts
Mine is so noseheavy.. and the batteries are jammed so far back as it gets. thats with 1 4s 5Ah and 1 3s 2.2Ah. Thinking of putting some lead on the tail, would be nice to not have the batteries so far back..
Bauf is offline Find More Posts by Bauf