Old Apr 25, 2013, 01:55 AM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereth View Post
yes but twisting along which axis
Pitch. The wing section from the tail booms out pitch up and down with the tail, rotating around the spar. The wing root remains solid with the fuselage. It's the section of wing between the booms and the root which twist around the spar. The spar is not bending. If you were to look at the down the wing from the wingtip you would see the twisting motion. Is that more clear?

There's already a small carbon rod on the bottom of the wing surface, I'm guessing it's to prevent this, but is it enough? I'm going to inspect those small rods to make sure they're still glued in good and not coming out, but as far as I can see they are. Either way, I think a solid spar in that area without a break in the middle would be stronger.
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2013, 02:21 AM
Latvia, Riga
Joined Feb 2010
151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
Oh you got it good man What range do you get (I suppose antenna on the roof) ? Also, looks like you are UHF but only use antenna on the RC tx, nothing outside for that ?
Ground station with stock video RX antenna is outside on window sill. Video TX is on the tail and shielded USB cable is used to transport the signal from RVOSD.

There were trees between ground station and plane. With this setup I flew approximately 4 km away (LOS distance). If I change video RX antenna or put it onto the roof, I would get much much more video distance.

Using stock video RX antenna, standing on the ice and holding ground station in the hands, I flew 20km away at the height of 500 meters.

Yes, I use DragonLink UHF. See answer bellow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Nice! I want to do something similar at my house. I see 433MHz has no trouble getting out of your house... through the walls. How was the RSSI?
The RSSI was around 50% at the max distance. Though I got fail-safe once when I was at the highest point at 1.7 km up, but I did not care to move antenna position around. I could add external antenna outside the walls for ultimate distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzparkPilot View Post
Somehow.. I think its a nicely set up picture :-)
Look at the sticks during lift off/barrel roll/landing, no one could simulate this that precisely. Just to be clear, the lift off video of the plane in 3rd person view was filmed and added afterwards. I brought the plane to the lake and went after it myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CambriaHobby View Post
Mr. U
What is hanging from the horz tail section?
Correct, those are skids. Bamboo sticks glued to the tail (tail protected by tape). See attached pic.
I would be better to use glass-fiber rods. But I did not get the chance to test them as the ice on the lake melted.
mr.utopia is offline Find More Posts by mr.utopia
Old Apr 25, 2013, 07:47 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,855 Posts
Mr Utopia, I see on the YT description you have 1 watt of video power. On what freq ? I drive an RC truck from inside the house (we have winter too here ) and never thought you could have so much range with the VRx inside the house for flying. Of course a surface vehicle will have to go around multiple obstacles wich is not the case of the plane, but nonetheless, I think your range is very good.
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 25, 2013, 08:17 AM
Latvia, Riga
Joined Feb 2010
151 Posts
The Video RX was on the sill outside the window (still trees in LOS) and composite video cable going to the TV. Video TX was Lawmate 1000 mW 1.2Ghz. It can provide great distance when it works, but many times I had various problems with it.
mr.utopia is offline Find More Posts by mr.utopia
Old Apr 25, 2013, 09:06 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,855 Posts
Thanks for the info
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 25, 2013, 09:10 AM
Joined Jun 2012
811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLuneau View Post
Pitch. The wing section from the tail booms out pitch up and down with the tail, rotating around the spar. The wing root remains solid with the fuselage. It's the section of wing between the booms and the root which twist around the spar. The spar is not bending. If you were to look at the down the wing from the wingtip you would see the twisting motion. Is that more clear?

There's already a small carbon rod on the bottom of the wing surface, I'm guessing it's to prevent this, but is it enough? I'm going to inspect those small rods to make sure they're still glued in good and not coming out, but as far as I can see they are. Either way, I think a solid spar in that area without a break in the middle would be stronger.
Much more clear

I agree, ideally a spar near the trailing edge that doesn't break in the middle. Failing that, cut a slot and push in 6mm CF strip in the same place (if you must have a break)
Nereth is offline Find More Posts by Nereth
Old Apr 25, 2013, 10:19 PM
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Dec 2012
405 Posts
I have SH in stock now..
CambriaHobby is offline Find More Posts by CambriaHobby
Old Apr 28, 2013, 06:41 AM
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Feb 2008
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CambriaHobby View Post
I have SH in stock now..
I would like to have the Skyhunter as a combo with the camera pod and belly pan but I live in Europe. Where should I order it price wise? US or China? Or is the combo even an option in China?
tupelo is online now Find More Posts by tupelo
Old Apr 28, 2013, 10:56 AM
Finland, Pirkanmaa, Valkeakoski
Joined Sep 2012
498 Posts
Moro,
don't order in the US - you pay INSANE shipping to FIN. FPV Model also gives free shipping now for orders >$200.
Generally keep in mind that Tulli is very likely to intercept any big package, especially when sent by EMS, and then you have to declare it. If you do nettitullaus, RC-planes are in the same category as RC venet ja autot. They just didn't write it there yet.
On RC stuff there comes only ALV, no additional fees.
Stefan_Go is offline Find More Posts by Stefan_Go
Old Apr 28, 2013, 03:11 PM
Turkey, Istanbul
Joined Jan 2013
53 Posts
I got skyhunted

My epic crash, due to faulty video connector on my fatshark. No i don't have an autopilot.
magnvs is offline Find More Posts by magnvs
Last edited by magnvs; Apr 28, 2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 03:40 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,610 Posts
wow, big crash
rclab1 is online now Find More Posts by rclab1
Old Apr 28, 2013, 04:03 PM
Norway
Joined Aug 2011
244 Posts
f*ck! feel bad for you Did any equipment survive?
Bauf is offline Find More Posts by Bauf
Old Apr 28, 2013, 04:15 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,610 Posts
The FliteEvolution w/RUBY OSD sounds better and better:-)
rclab1 is online now Find More Posts by rclab1
Old Apr 28, 2013, 04:53 PM
My planes plow into the field
United States, TN, Taft
Joined Oct 2012
637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnvs View Post
My epic crash, due to faulty video connector on my fatshark. No i don't have an autopilot.
Don't despair! It can be fixed. I have had three really bad crashes. All looked like your crash. A pile of sh*t. Take two days to cool off and then start to glue it back together. May take a day or two, but it can be done. Mine looks better after the third crash than the second. White Gorilla glue is great.
Good luck and Damn*it she wants to fly!
farmetom
farmertom is offline Find More Posts by farmertom
Old Apr 28, 2013, 06:26 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,672 Posts
If you find *every single* piece of foam, you can repair just about *any* EPO plane back
to original shape and strength. I prefer thick CA and accelerator (or baking soda) as
it allows me to work fast. I've turned a jigsaw puzzle back into
a flyable plane in only an hour or two. That said, that's quite the pile of rubble,
and I'm guessing you're already missing pieces of foam.
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member