HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 08, 2012, 07:28 PM
Joined Nov 2012
12 Posts
Discussion
Advice on buying a car with these features

I would like to purchase an RC car, though I know nothing about them. I would like to spend up to around $500, though I'm willing to spend more if necessary. I'm not sure if what I want exists, though, here are some of the things I'm looking for:

- built in cam that can take pictures, video and stream to a computer, phone or tablet
- ability to control over the internet via a computer, phone or tablet
- something that can drive through a house as well as go over rocks and grass in the backyard
- easy to drive

Can anyone point me to some models that might have these features?

Thanks.
kat.hayes is offline Find More Posts by kat.hayes
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2012, 05:57 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
You probably want a Traxxas Stampede VXL 4 x 4. You would have to add the camera and video hardware yourself. It's been done many times. It's hard to estimate cost, as video equipment can cost from $30 to $30K, depending on how exotic you are planning to go. The Stampede runs around $425. Control via internet or phone or tablet would require some software and additional hardware. That has also been done, but is not popular at all as it gives very poor control. I suggest the Aerial Photography or Video Piloting forums here on RCG.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; Nov 09, 2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:08 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,919 Posts
I don't think you'll find anything out of the box that does everything you want, and even with off the shelf parts it'll be hard to get some of the features.

Getting a car with a camera that will stream video down to a receiver is easy, but having it controlled over the internet will be much harder to come by.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:01 PM
Hackettstown, New Jersey
Joined Feb 2008
737 Posts
Contact the military.. they have just what you are looking for. or at least your local police bomb disposal unit.. what you are looking for they do. but they cost alot more than what your budget is..
cenracer1 is offline Find More Posts by cenracer1
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:29 AM
Joined Nov 2012
7 Posts
Yeah seems for Traxxas Stampede VXL 4 x 4. Too many equipments have to adjust by yourself in the car.
jacques111 is offline Find More Posts by jacques111
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:27 AM
Outdoor Extremist
Pennsylvania
Joined Jul 2010
1,006 Posts
yeah the 4x4 vxl pede would be a good platform and you dont want tablet controlled via the internet its a disaster
rustlererad3 is offline Find More Posts by rustlererad3