SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:12 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Purchased a Drift HD action cam today. This obviously will allow me to take vids mounted on a head strap or mounted on a vehicle like someone might do with a GoPro.
However, the Drift Cam is much easier to use, more compact and streamlined and has a built in LCD whereas the GoPro doesnt. Its much easier to mount to various surfaces PLUS it has a remote control included. The GoPro doesnt.

http://driftinnovation.com/camera/

Anyhow.....once I figure out how to use it, I can get some vids uploaded of various aspects of the Terminator HK build.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:32 PM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Found this on youtube. Quite a bit smaller then what im building, but at least it helps prove to ME a few of my ideas are in fact on tract
DIY 3roter (EDF ver.) Rev.3 "Hunter-Killer" by あんきもさん (3 min 29 sec)

エアリアル・ハンター・キラー 20110212 (1 min 46 sec)

Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:35 PM
cant get right !!!
United States, CA, Victorville
Joined Sep 2012
321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahloq View Post
Found this on youtube. Quite a bit smaller then what im building, but at least it helps prove to ME a few of my ideas are in fact on tract
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts6bhl9bpWA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2irqzX-WTE

doesnt look stable yours looks like it wil be alot more stable since you realy arnt using ducted fans . and actualy using props
trucker41 is offline Find More Posts by trucker41
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:49 PM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
I hope so especially since mine will be ten times bigger. Even though I'm using props, they are still situated within a ducting. Hopefully I can get a section of the wing set up by next week so I have something concrete to show
Old Dec 01, 2012, 03:42 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2011
465 Posts
FYI: There are some threads here that discuss ducted vs shrouded fans. There are also bicopter related threads - though not what you're doing for pitch control - do use rotating nacelles for fore-aft traversing and yaw. Also, in the ducted threads, some have literally cut the tips off props and rebalanced them so that the clearance between the impeller and duct is very small where highest efficiency occurs. Normal props are designed to minimize tip vortices, where with squarish tips, and small clearances, the duct eliminates these vortices. Good luck !!
Jim
Jem3 is offline Find More Posts by Jem3
Old Dec 01, 2012, 04:12 PM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I placed the motor inside the Homer bucket at a spot that got the tips of the blades as close to the sidewall of the buckets as I could.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:51 PM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Basic test of the 5 gal home depot bucket with the rimfire .60 650kv with 11x7x3. 25c 6s 5000 turnigy battery. I know the c rating is low....its merely for testing.
As you can see in the video.....the bucket lifted off the ground at a bit over 1/3 and held at 1/2 throttle. You can see the bucket spinning slowly in my hands to show I am not holding it, just making sure it doesnt fall over.

This is encouraging. Higher C rating batts will definitely aid in more thrust at lower throttle settings though.

I never went over 1/2 throttle....didnt want the bucket shooting up into the ceiling.

FILE0004 (0 min 56 sec)
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:32 PM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Been thinking of total lift for the vehicle and Id rather have more then needed then not enough. After studying some of the photos I have of the movie versions of the HK heavy, there is a large area on the back spine of the craft that has a lot of louvers. This area is highlighted in red in the pic below.

This looks like a perfect place to hide a forth decent size fan unit. It wont be the same size as the 5 gal home depot buckets, but still a lot bigger then a 90 or 120mm ducted fan.

I was able to source a smaller bucket from work that is probably a 2.5 gal bucket. I can fit a 9" diameter prop in it so thats what Im planning on doing.
Might as well design the ship to have it from the start then mod it in afterwards
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:15 PM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Finally got the giant scale servos so can now start with getting the buckets attached and the servo exoskeltons mounted to the wingtip locations.
This will be no small feat as the distance from the center fuse area of the craft to the wingtip is a good 4 feet....so the each wing half has to have a massive amount of reinforcement.

Once the internal structure is done, I picked up some 3/4 oz and 5oz weight cloth and will use resin epoxy to fiberglass them to stiffen them up.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:46 PM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
So finally, here are a couple pics of a wing half framed up for this machine. This should give you a pretty good idea of the size this thing will end up being.

There is a lot of additional weight bearing support I need to add to hold the buckets, but, progress is being made
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:56 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,707 Posts
Subscribed.
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:46 PM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
So here is the other "wing". This definitely will show how big this sucker is.
There is a center section that goes inbetween the two halves. This allows for disassembly for transporting.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:17 PM
Emress
United States, SD, Rapid City
Joined Nov 2011
1,936 Posts
just my opinion, but itd look better if you trimmed the buckets :P

still really awesome!
sirbow2 is offline Find More Posts by sirbow2
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:19 PM
Joined Dec 2005