HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2013, 12:48 PM
United Kingdom, England, Keighley
Joined Nov 2012
99 Posts
Ah, but I have.

I decided to head for the slope at the weekend, though it wasn't much of a success.
What had been 2 clicks of trim in the back yard ended up as full trim on the field. The slope was very inconsistent and gusty - I'm not sure I was at the right spot, and as such I was eventually forced home after another unintended ground to glider argument.

No matter, I've actually enjoyed repairing the little sky surfer. It's given me a good understanding of how she works. So, I've redone the aileron fix by cutting a thread into the push rod. It's allowed me to adjust mechanically so I'm in trim without using the servo's trim. I think this is a much better solution.

I really, really can't wait to get back out there. I'll try to check the flying site and make sure I'm in the right spot, then try again. Else the flat field close to home is still lots of fun.

Aeajr - you mentioned wind speed. How would I know that when I've been out? Do you guys measure it at the field?
Stu L is offline Find More Posts by Stu L
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2013, 05:08 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,096 Posts
Wind speed is best measured at the flying site. Here is an example of a wind meter.
http://www.ambientweather.com/amwm2.html

But I usually look at the weather reports first. www.usairnet.com is the site I use most often. It reports weather by airport location and I am surrounded by airports.
http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/laun...=KFRG&state=NY

Using the weather report I can decide if I want to go flying. If I am going flying then I can decide which plane I want to take based on the conditions. Or whether I need to bring ballast.

If it is too windy for flat field flying then I look at wind direction. If it is in the right direction then I go slope soaring. Again, based on wind forecast I decide which plane and whether I need ballast.

Do I need to measure the wind speed at the field? No! And I rarely do. But it is the best place to measure it. However I am more interested in knowing before I am going.

Hope that helps.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Mar 16, 2013, 03:48 AM
United Kingdom, Glos
Joined Feb 2009
523 Posts
Stu this is a good site to check on wind in the UK http://www.xcweather.co.uk/ also go on the BMFA site and check the RC soaring clubs in your area they often have a website with the various slopes and wind directions.

And this is a fairly active forum covering different areas in the UK http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php/board,247.0.html
FrankS is offline Find More Posts by FrankS
Old Mar 16, 2013, 04:14 AM
Joined Dec 2009
69 Posts
The BMFA club map is now up and running. A few clubs still to add but have a look at www.clubmap.bmfa.org

Stu Have you checked out the Keighley club? Fly at Harden Moor.
Big AndyS is online now Find More Posts by Big AndyS
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:16 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
On the aileron servo issue. Consider replacing the single servo with dual servos, one controlling each aileron mounted under the wing just aft of each aileron. Face the servos in opposite directions so a Y cable can be used. Or better still, if your xmitter allows, configure it for dual aileron servos using the aux output. This way you can setup differential and flaperons or spoilerons. Happy flying. I envy your flying area. Wish I had slopes here in central Texas.
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
Old Mar 16, 2013, 02:22 PM
United Kingdom, Glos
Joined Feb 2009
523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
. I envy your flying area. Wish I had slopes here in central Texas.
But not our weather....................
Old Mar 18, 2013, 03:51 PM
Joined Nov 2012
99 Posts
Hehe,

I haven't checked out Kadmac at harden more yet, mostly as my schedule doesn't give me chance to fly at sociable hours. It's usually at sun rise before I start work at 7.30. Hence I don't see much point in joining the club. Frank, if you've been to Harden, what's the wind like there. It's way up high on the moors, it looks very exposed.

Anyway, the poor sky surfer is about 60ft up in a tree at the moment. That'll teach me to fly in a sheltered spot. I had some amazing flight before I lost her though. I've managed to retrieve the wing today and will be attempting to get the fuselage again tomorrow. I just hope the rain and snow have't destroyed the electrics...
Old Mar 18, 2013, 05:31 PM
United Kingdom, Glos
Joined Feb 2009
523 Posts
Stu can't comment on Harden, I fly in Gloucestershire.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 06:12 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
As your first sailplane, I suggest you get one that has an extensive thread here on rcgroups. All you need to know will have been done by others for your education. This advice is especially true IF you purchase a Hobbyking or Nitro or other Chinese sailplane. They require more modification to get close to 100%. When you do your FIRST flight remember that altitude is your friend. Keep it high and do simple left and right hand circles. Then figure eights, etc. Have a flight plan ahead of take off. Such as launch, get some altitude and start circling left, then right while keeping it out in front of you. You'll need to get the feel of keeping back pressure on the elevator stick as you turn to keep the nose up. Otherwise the nose drops, you panic and give it more turn and spiral in. Go to utube and watch the beginners for what not to do. Lots of take off turning left, which is the planes natural tendency due to motor torque and when coming back they give more left input and spiral in. When flying back at you move the turn control stick in the direction of the LOW WING to straighten out and fly level.

Good luck.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 06:14 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
But not our weather....................
Roger that!!!!
Old Mar 27, 2013, 08:05 PM
United Kingdom, Glos
Joined Feb 2009
523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
Roger that!!!!
It's not all bad
Old Mar 29, 2013, 06:32 PM
Joined Nov 2012
99 Posts
It's a bit cold and snowy frank!
Still, alarm is set for some early stick time at dawn.....hopefully it won't be blowing a gale
Old Apr 02, 2013, 06:50 AM
Bradford West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Apr 2010
1,597 Posts
Think you'll need a towline/bungee for Harden Moor.

Regards Ian.
Circlip is offline Find More Posts by Circlip
Old Apr 02, 2013, 02:38 PM
Joined Nov 2012
99 Posts
I'm electric Ian, no bungee's for me. I have actually flown on Harden moor, though not at the club. My tiny little surfer got buffered around like a rag doll....

Do you fly near by Ian?