HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2013, 04:22 PM
United Kingdom, England, Keighley
Joined Nov 2012
294 Posts
Hmm, thinking on is this how you would arrange a replacement?

Excuse the dodgy paint drawing....
Stu L is online now Find More Posts by Stu L
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2013, 04:52 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,476 Posts
Oh, I see your point about the unique control arms. .

Having a problem understanding how the servo connects to the control rods. I believe that is called a torque rod arrangement.

Is that a mounting post for the wing, or is that a pivot that the black thing sits on? Then a rod from the servo pulls and pushes the black thing and the torque rods pivot in opposite directions. Is that how it works?

It is the black thing that broke, right?

Might be able to make a new one out of 1/8? aircraft ply or maybe some kind of plastic.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Feb 25, 2013, 05:01 PM
Joined Nov 2012
294 Posts
um yeah.
Between the caramel coloured blobby bit there is a screw mounting point. It used to hold the broken piece on the right of the picture through the hole in the centre.
You can't really see, but on the broken arm, the bottom right hand side is larger and has a hole through it. A pushrod used to run from that hole back towards the servo.

When the old servo operated, the control rod moved along the big silver thread that runs down the middle of the servo.

If I mounted a traditional servo in the same place and orientation, the arm would have been somewhere by the big white gear is, moving in a different axis to the original.

Did that make any sense?? If not, I'll grab a video of it in operation.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 05:11 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,476 Posts
OK, I have it.

You remove the existing servo.

Sink an HS 55 or GWS pico into the foam to the servo drive is sticking up relative to the photos.

You put a 2 sided or a wheel servo arm on the servo.

2 push rods, one to each of those torque rods. Now you just need a connetion to the torque rods. If you can use a small needle nose pliers and bend up a control arm from the servo to the torque rod that has a small loop in it that JUST fits the torque rod, you have it made.

There are probably better approaches I think you will get the idea. Think about it.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 06:04 PM
Flagstaff, AZ
USA, AZ, Flagstaff
Joined Mar 2003
3,855 Posts
Here are a few pics of aileron linkages with one servo...

Dawson
dawsonh is online now Find More Posts by dawsonh
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:10 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,476 Posts
That is precisely what I was describing. you just need to wok out the connection between the torque rods and the push rods from the servo.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 07:19 AM
United Kingdom, Glos
Joined Feb 2009
576 Posts
Easy enough to put in a new servo, just one word of caution, from the pictures the as shown servo seems to have the leads with +ve and -ve in the outermost pins with the signal pin in the center, all modern mainstream servos have +ve on the centre pin with -ve and signal on the outer pins. Easy enough to check with a multimeter and something to check before hand.

But it wouldn't be too difficult to make up another arm and mount out of some ply which would allow you to carry on using your existing servo.
FrankS is online now Find More Posts by FrankS
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:41 AM
Joined Nov 2012
294 Posts
So we all like a happy ending right?
I've fixed the problem using the original set up. A new hole in the arm from a 1/10 servo has done the trick. The geometry is slightly out as she needed 2 clicks of trim to fly without a slight wander to the right. I think I can live with that for a free fix.
Should be stronger too as the new arm is much thicker than the original.

Now, if only that darn wind would die down so I could go out and play

I may yet replace it with something better - perhaps I'll do both servo's together when funds allow

Happy days!
Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:21 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,476 Posts
Congrats on a good fix.

Windy? When you are ready we can talk about ballast.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 10:13 AM
Joined Nov 2012
294 Posts
It feels a lot like I'm flying inside a tumble dryer.
Flights consist of launch, battle frantically against a tiny breeze, as I desperately try and stay up, watch the glide go where it wants to, then finally watch it smack into the ground.
Feels less than productive right now. Do you guys only fly on completely dead still days?
Old Mar 02, 2013, 12:09 PM
United Kingdom, Glos
Joined Feb 2009
576 Posts
Stu the Skysurfer is a lightweight low power foamy so it's going to get blown around quite a bit on a windy day. If you want an electric trainer that can handle a bit of wind then something like a Multiplex Easystar or Hobbyking Bixler is probably better, but that will mean you'll also need to invest in a transmitter, receiver plus 3S Lipo etc etc.

But same transmitter if it has elevon mixing (i.e. any 6 channel programmable radio) would control something like a Wildthing and then you would be complaining when there wasn't enough wind.
FrankS is online now Find More Posts by FrankS
Old Mar 04, 2013, 05:27 AM
always looking for clouds
Joined Aug 2010
423 Posts
the radian can fly in a decent breeze. sloped it in a 15mph wind and it flew brilliantly. maybe the skysurfer is just too light?
socommk23 is offline Find More Posts by socommk23
Old Mar 04, 2013, 10:48 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu L View Post
It feels a lot like I'm flying inside a tumble dryer.
Flights consist of launch, battle frantically against a tiny breeze, as I desperately try and stay up, watch the glide go where it wants to, then finally watch it smack into the ground.
Feels less than productive right now. Do you guys only fly on completely dead still days?
When you say windy you must always define that with wind speed and whether you are flying on a flat field or slope soaring. 10 mph on a flat field with a light aircraft can be windy but that is good flying weather for other aircraft.

10 mph on the flat field may be rough but 10 mph on the slope could be perfect.

To improve stability you might try moving CG forward a touch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by socommk23 View Post
the radian can fly in a decent breeze. sloped it in a 15mph wind and it flew brilliantly. maybe the skysurfer is just too light?
Note that 15 mph on the slope is VERY different from 15 mph on a flat field.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 10:41 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Stu L, stoked to see your industriousness here with the fix on the aileron servo - good work!

Reading about your challenges with the wind - to be honest, it seems you're living in a prime slope soaring location but sort of tilting at windmills trying to fly power, which is always a better calm weather activity.

Slope soaring will absolutely afford you the greatest stick time possible, you won't need to run your motor at all and all of your battery's juice will go to the servos... making many-minute (if not hour) flights a real possibility.

To aeajr's point, you may find that the wind that overpowers your little Sky Surfer on the flat will turn into sweet, beautiful lift once it's been groomed by some upslope compression.

Like you said, you've got slopes as close as 10min from your door... why not have a go? Pick the one that is as close to a perfect 90deg off the wind direction - so the wind is blowing as straight up the slope as possible - and give it a chuck. I think you'll like it!

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2013, 04:24 AM
always looking for clouds
Joined Aug 2010
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
When you say windy you must always define that with wind speed and whether you are flying on a flat field or slope soaring. 10 mph on a flat field with a light aircraft can be windy but that is good flying weather for other aircraft.

10 mph on the flat field may be rough but 10 mph on the slope could be perfect.

To improve stability you might try moving CG forward a touch.

Note that 15 mph on the slope is VERY different from 15 mph on a flat field.

its flown fine in 15mph winds on my flat field too.
socommk23 is offline Find More Posts by socommk23