Closed Thread
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:58 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
239 Posts
Question
Great Planes Pro CA Glue Thin

Hi guys,

I wonder if anyone has ever used that CA glue? the : Great Planes Pro CA Glue Thin.

Im doing a build for a 3DHS 41' Edge 540 and was looking for some good CA Glue.

Will this glue do the trick?
Any other Glue you recommend?

I saw in the building video of 3DHS, that they use the Mercury brand, but, at my local hobbyshop, 1 bottle of 1oz of mercury is 15$ + tax.... and i think its overpriced... as usual.

Thank you all for your response in advance,

Max
XstarWake is offline Find More Posts by XstarWake
Last edited by XstarWake; Nov 13, 2012 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Got the answer i needed, closing thread.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:05 AM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,509 Posts
FWIW my experience with the GP PRO CA has been horrible. Worst glue I have used. It will probably work though.
Not long ago an online place sent me some Pro CA when I ordered Med Zap. I called them and they told me they were out of Zap so they substituted the Med Pro. I told them from past experience that I didn't want it. They said they heard that a lot, and they ended up sending me Zap a few weeks later no charge when their order came in. They didn't want me to return the Pro. I tried using it; it didn't really set up well, and within a week after opening it had started to gell over....just like I remembered.
I prefer ZAP, but use Mercury and Bob Smith CAs (store brand) as a second choice.
Yea, $15 for one once is a bit over priced IMO, but still better than free Pro
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:25 AM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XstarWake View Post
...at my local hobbyshop, 1 bottle of 1oz of mercury is 15$ + tax
Max, it looks like you need to change your LHS. Great Hobbies there in Ottawa sells a 2oz bottle of Mercury thin CA for $10.59.

http://www.greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=MER5T2

I've been using Mercury for years. It's good stuff.

And I see GH now also carries Bob Smith CA ($9.99 for 2oz thin). I haven't used it myself, but it seems to have a good reputation.
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:35 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
239 Posts
Thanks a lot for those quick replys guys! yeah, i hate my LHS. (previous experience)
Ill go at GH to get the Mercury or Bob Smith CA!
I dont want a not so good glue, Thanks for letting me know rcav8r2 !!! I wont buy the Great Plane for sure!

I need Medium CA (for all around the plane, elevator, rudder etc...) and Thin CA (for hinges).

I did get some 5min epoxy (gorilla) ( i beleive is for the landing gear and other place...as per the video) but 3DHS is saying 30 min epoxy. Is that a big deal?? is it less strong since its 5min?

Thanks for all the replys guys!
XstarWake is offline Find More Posts by XstarWake
Closed Thread