HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2003, 07:51 AM
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Again .... why I hate the BCS

Let's see.... the number 1 ranked team in the nation not playing for the National Championship .... the 2nd and 3rd ranked teams are. And worse yet, the one of those teams didn't even win their conference?!?!?!?!?!

Something is wrong here.

Logan5
(USC '95)
logan5 is online now Find More Posts by logan5
Old Dec 08, 2003, 08:04 AM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
at least we've got Michigan/USC to watch. That should be a good game!!!! GO BLUE
BrunswickOH is offline Find More Posts by BrunswickOH
Old Dec 08, 2003, 08:11 AM
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
True ... very true ... a classic Rose Bowl match up like back in the good 'ol days.

Go Trojans!

Logan5
logan5 is online now Find More Posts by logan5
Old Dec 08, 2003, 08:12 AM
Almost a Pilot
NorCal
Joined Oct 2001
3,759 Posts
Determining the "National Championship" was imperfect before BCS and obviously remains so......since it's all mythical anyhow I wouldn't let it bother you too much.

Being rated #1 says it all.......

I wonder which NFL team will hire Pete Carroll?
Mauilvr is offline Find More Posts by Mauilvr
Old Dec 08, 2003, 08:14 AM
Florida
Joined Nov 2003
28 Posts
BCS - Broken Computer System
plawrence45 is offline Find More Posts by plawrence45
Old Dec 08, 2003, 10:32 AM
I'm kind of a big deal
Tarpon Springs, FL USA
Joined Feb 2002
852 Posts
Wow, you guys got the shaft.

I was waiting on this thread after I saw USC was not even playing in the National Championship game. I like Michigan, but I hope USC wins which would throw one giant wrench in the system.

If you win you will be #1 in the AP , but not in the coaches poll. The coaches poll must take their #1 as the winner of the Championship game. The best you can hope for is to be co-champs.

Anyway you will finish ahead of my FSU Seminoles.

Shawn
(FSU 92')
Tarpon Shawn is offline Find More Posts by Tarpon Shawn
Old Dec 08, 2003, 12:17 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,786 Posts
I'm not happy the pairing, but I am happy LSU made it. In my honest opinion, which is worth not much, it should have been a contest of gladiatorial proportion between the Trojans and the Tigers.

At any rate I definitely do believe the Tigers should have been one of the two teams.

LcJ
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Dec 08, 2003, 01:09 PM
Mr Mootsie
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,565 Posts
yeah, you guys got worked.
Tim Jonas is offline Find More Posts by Tim Jonas
Old Dec 08, 2003, 01:15 PM
Nederland, Tx
Joined Aug 2003
1 Posts
Quote:

"I'm not happy the pairing, but I am happy LSU made it. In my honest opinion, which is worth not much, it should have been a contest of gladiatorial proportion between the Trojans and the Tigers.

At any rate I definitely do believe the Tigers should have been one of the two teams"

Me too, LC!

- To me, the worst part is that the Sugar Bowl won't be played until the Sunday AFTER New Year's Day.
That is what I call GROSS STUPIDITY !

By The Way - I grew up just an easy walk away from the original Sugar Bowl Site - the now long-gone Tulane Stadium.

GEAUX TIGERS !

Bob T.
LSU, '56
(- Started there in '48, but Korea got in the way.)
Bob Talley is offline Find More Posts by Bob Talley
Old Dec 08, 2003, 01:28 PM
two left feet
Austin, TX
Joined Aug 2003
1,091 Posts
Hey, we got screwed too, #5 team in the nation going to the holiday bowl...

But it could have been worse for us, and the BCS -

Texas could have lost only one game, instead of 2. That one loss would have been to OU, and OU would sit on top of the BCS just as they had, with Texas being #2 or #3. Probably ahead of USC with a tougher schedule rank and the same 1 loss (now that MOV is not counted).

Then, the big 12 championship goes just like it did, and OU loses. Texas might be ranked #1 on one or both of the human polls, #3 in BCS, and NOT EVEN PLAY IN A BCS BOWL!

At least USC is in a BCS bowl.

I know all that is just "what could have been," and Texas did not win the game it really needed to, but the above scenario could have happened. It almost did this year.
busybee is offline Find More Posts by busybee
Old Dec 08, 2003, 01:36 PM
Cedar Park, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,436 Posts
I was in Austin when UT smashed Tulane. I can't wait to see them in the Holiday Bowl. I hope I can get tickets.
McGrrr is offline Find More Posts by McGrrr
Old Dec 08, 2003, 01:46 PM
two left feet
Austin, TX
Joined Aug 2003
1,091 Posts
I was at the home games this year. The Texas Tech game was the most amazing I have seen in a long time. Mack Brown was one decision away from becoming Frank Solich...
busybee is offline Find More Posts by busybee
Old Dec 08, 2003, 02:02 PM
Administrator
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Nov 1998
5,409 Posts
I'm a Husker fan and I find the whole situation comical. It's a repeat of what happened a couple of years ago with Nebraska going to the Rose Bowl. It made no sense to most people, including me, but it was the only decision that could be made given the rules at the time.

I was frustrated by the anger a lot of people felt toward the Huskers at the time and I see the same thing against OU. Beat up the BCS but not the schools.

The Big 12 is probably going to be in this situation often because they have an extra game (conference championship) that is always going to involve two highly-ranked teams. OUs loss isn't going to count against them mathematically the way the other team's because OU has an extra game which improves their scoring and dilutes the one loss.

The real troubling thing here is that as broken as the BCS seems to be, I can't think of a solution. I sometimes wonder if each mistake brings us closer to a playoff and is, therefore, in a strange way, a good thing.

Jim
jbourke is offline Find More Posts by jbourke
Administrator
Old Dec 08, 2003, 02:20 PM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
Bob T you hit it on the head for me PLAY IT ON NEW YEARS DAY that's what new years day is to me. College football bowl games and with the "biggest" one not played until later is stinks.

Go Blue
BrunswickOH is offline Find More Posts by BrunswickOH
Old Dec 08, 2003, 04:54 PM
Riverview, FL
Joined Dec 2002
1,497 Posts
hey - this is the first year in a while when a florida team wasnt playing for #1

jeff
(FSU 95)
nose_first is offline Find More Posts by nose_first