Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 08, 2012, 06:24 AM
Life is short just do IT!
Joined Feb 2012
14 Posts
Discussion
GWS190 motor mount off center

Hi, is there anyone own this plane and will like to share.
1) I noticed the GWS stick mount for brushless motor when fix at the lowest slot, the motor seems to be Off Center. Was wondering is that mean to be like that, correct and safe to fly? Will maiden this weekend, kind of worry of the motor not center.
2) Where is the best COG of this plane?

Thank you.
Louisweb is offline Find More Posts by Louisweb
Last edited by Louisweb; Nov 08, 2012 at 06:54 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2012, 06:36 AM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisweb View Post
Hi, is there anyone own this plane and will like to share. I noticed the GWS stick mount for brushless motor when fix at the lowest slot, the motor seems to be Off Center. Was wondering is that mean to be like that, correct and safe to fly?
Thank you.
Stick slot selection depends on the motor mount you use. If the cowl fits you're good to go. It will have a down and right angle to it.
Dry fit everything first.
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Nov 08, 2012, 07:37 AM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
3,825 Posts
Most planes have an angle built into the motor mount to provide "right thrust" this is primarily to counteract the spiral flow of air over the fuselage that hits the rudder sideways. Down thrust is sometimes used to counteract aerodynamic drag on certain parts of the plane, primarily from the wing. It is more common in high wing planes which have a pull upward from the drag on the wing.

So, in short yes it's probably supposed to be like that and you may find that the engine points a little right and a little down. If the engine points to the left then you have an issue.

If this is your first plane, I suggest you at least maiden it over tall grass, it's not the best trainer aircraft and could take heavy damage if you fly over a hard surface.
ChillPhatCat is online now Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Nov 08, 2012, 06:28 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,016 Posts
Post this same question in the ..................Parkflyers section.......... All things GWS

They are loaded with current GWS plane experience.
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:45 AM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,153 Posts
Great looking plane!
Congrats on your maiden.
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:49 PM
Joined Feb 2012
14 Posts
Maiden flight 190

The maiden went well and steady. She flown stable and float very well too after minor trimming. I discovered the engine Off center is not really a big issue after all, probably that's the famous GWS design i guess. Can't wait to bring her for another flight soon.....
**Once again thanks all for your kind advise!

<<The Sky The Limit>>
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:16 PM
Joined Feb 2012
14 Posts
The other plane

My other planes to share...........

"Happy Flying\Landing"
Last edited by Louisweb; Dec 03, 2012 at 12:33 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:58 AM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,227 Posts
Nice lookin' GWS birds.

Don't the rest of them have the down thrust offset?

Are you using 3S on the Corsair?
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:40 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
3 degree or so down and right is correct for just about all rc planes. It counters motor torque and the tendency to climb under power. I do have a few gliders with no down/ right and under full power they will loop IF you don't add lots of down elev..
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:45 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
3 degree or so down and right is correct for just about all rc planes. It counters motor torque and the tendency to climb under power. I do have a few gliders with no down/ right and under full power they will loop IF you don't add lots of down elev..
Most models benefit from some right thrust (assuming standard prop rotation) but far from all planes need downthrust. Mid and low wing aerobatic type model generally do without. I've got several aerobatic models and none of them have down thrust, nor do they need it. Trainer type planes with high wings and lots of stability usually need lots of downthrust. There is no 'one size fits all' solution.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer