HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Micubano, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 12:55 AM
Chad deQuevedo of Olyphant, PA
United States, PA, Olyphant
Joined Aug 2012
530 Posts
Discussion
Making my new TX/Micro Heli case. I have questions!!!

When I first started this hobby, I bought a cheap toolbox for the parts and batteries. Then I bought another one and another one soon after that and then I had to clean the basement to start making room, but most of you probably already know what I am talking about. A few months ago at an auction when I was first starting RC, I bought an old GE Repairman TV Tube case that looks like the orange and grey one in the thumbnails. That is not the actual one I have. I wish I took before pics because the covering was falling apart and it looked like it was about to fall apart, but it was $1.

The next two pictures I have are when I was done taking a razor to it when removing the cover. There was a lot of old glue and the bottom of the case looked like it sat in water for a while. There was a lot of rust on the metal brackets and latches too.

I broke out my Rockwell oscillating tool with some medium grit sandpaper and worked over the wood for a while. It cleaned up nice. Even the parts that had been sitting in water. At this point, I could see it was salvageable

The dove tailed edges were loose, so I took 3 of my large clamps and some wood glue and reinforces all the edges. It sat for a week before I tried to get the rust off the metal. The homemade concoction I used turned some of the wood blackish. I should of just used a wire brush and some fine sand paper to start because that is what I ended up doing anyhow.

Since I bought my DX6i, I've wanted to complete this case because it can house the TX and 3 of my micros easily. Tonight I hit the metal again with really fine sand paper and ended up giving it a nice brushed look. I was going to paint the colors close to the original, but another project in the house required black magnetic primer. I had a lot left over, so the bottom of the case is black. The last two pics show where I left off tonight. I do have the orange paint (also left over from a different project, but not related to the black primer project), so I will probably finish painting tomorrow. Then I will put a clear coat of poly-something on it. for protection over the weekend. Now that I think about it, I guess the case will be Spektrum's colors. That was totally unintentional. I might paint Spektrum's logo on one of the sides now.

Here are my questions. First, what can I use on the metal to protect it from rust? I am thinking some chrome polish like I use on my dad's antique car. Second, where can I get some grey foam, egg create or flat, cheap? I thought I had some lying around, but I don't. I looked online and it cost more that I thought it might. I don't feel like spending money on something to protect the TX and helis when for the cost of the foam I can just get a new aluminum case for almost the same price. So if you know where I can get cheap protective materials or have a different idea for mounting the stuff in the case, I am open to all suggestions!
Micubano is offline Find More Posts by Micubano
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Micubano; Nov 08, 2012 at 01:16 AM.
to remove ads between posts