HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 07, 2012, 09:41 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,026 Posts
Discussion
Do a jig!

Ok guys, time to show all your funky little jigs, time saving devices and tools for accuracy.

GO!
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2012, 11:14 PM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,347 Posts
I don't think I could build a model these days without my precious 1-2-3 blocks. Not sure how I managed without them for so long. Highly recommended for any shop!
Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Nov 08, 2012, 12:28 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
2,946 Posts
I got some of those!Pieces of steel bar cut at a local steel stock yard.Indispensable!
The other pic is a jig I made just last night for cutting tapered/bevelled strip for planking.It doesn't need to be any more permanent than this,just set up and adjust as needed.
Stuart
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Nov 08, 2012, 06:25 AM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
10,786 Posts
A few years back, Don Olsen and I made a couple fuselge jigs.

Since I'm good at building banannas, this jig has been a great asset.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Nov 08, 2012, 07:51 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupot46 View Post
The other pic is a jig I made just last night for cutting tapered/bevelled strip for planking.It doesn't need to be any more permanent than this,just set up and adjust as needed.
Stuart
Can you show some more pictures? I'd like to make one.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Nov 08, 2012, 08:56 AM
Joined Sep 2011
2,946 Posts
Basically all you need is a piece of angle for the stripper to run against;packing the back edge will give the bevel.And a narrow straight edge for the balsa to sit up to.Angle these two to get the taper.Also a stop to rest the tail of the sheet against.
I only came up with this last night,but I've cut enough test strips to be confident it works.
Stuart
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:19 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
My favourite jig for aligning fuselages, holding a fus to set the wings and tailfeather, etc.

From SLEC - 'Sun Lane Engineering Company' - in England.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1747810 - towards the bottom of the page.

I bought mine before we left for the US, around 1990. It's still doing fine. I contacted SLEC fairly recently after being asked about this jig when it appeared in a plan feature I had published - they told me they'd ship to the US, but don't do so normally so they'd have to pack and figure out shipping via email. They are a long time UK company with a very good reputation in our hobby, so I reckon they're to be trusted.

As the bolts included in the kit are metric, there could be mileage in buying just the grid sheet, domed washers and plastic angles for shipping to the US and using handier local sourced bolts/T nuts.

The grid sheet is sticky backed and stuck onto a suitable length of plastic coated shelving. Like I said, mine's been stuck onto the original shelving for over 20 years, so it's a long lived tool.

Idle thought - unless the Grande PooBaahs of government over there have changed any rules, 'Value Added Tax' - UK's sales tax - is already included in the price on the website. Convert that to US$$ or whatever you use in your neck of the woods, and add overseas shipping.

Hope that helps

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:48 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupot46 View Post
Basically all you need is a piece of angle for the stripper to run against;packing the back edge will give the bevel.And a narrow straight edge for the balsa to sit up to.Angle these two to get the taper.Also a stop to rest the tail of the sheet against.
I only came up with this last night,but I've cut enough test strips to be confident it works.
Stuart
I must be pretty dense this morning Just not getting the angle cut procedure.
I take that's a commercial stripping tool?
How about a picture of how a 45 deg angle would be cut?
Must still be suffering from politicaladitis.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:23 AM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,347 Posts
Here's a jig I made for building my 1/6 scale Corsair fuselage which is built on an elevated crutch. This is actually much fancier than it needs to be but I wanted something mobile so that the fuse could be moved out of the way when not being worked on.

Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:35 AM
Joined Sep 2011
2,946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
I must be pretty dense this morning Just not getting the angle cut procedure.
I take that's a commercial stripping tool?
How about a picture of how a 45 deg angle would be cut?
Must still be suffering from politicaladitis.
This is meant to cut a slight taper on a piece of balsa for planking a concave or convex area- turtle deck for instance.The angle of the taper set by the angular displacement of the two alu.components in the pic.
The appropriate bevel on the sides of the planks set by packing up the alu.angle that the stripper(master airscrew) runs against.The angle of the bevel is taken from the diameter of the area to be planked.The object is to get a good edge to edge fit on each plank.
Stuart
Old Nov 08, 2012, 12:17 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
10,895 Posts
Not so much a jig as just a handy "third hand" to use for any number of cutting or sanding purposes where you want to add a little bit of stability. A benchhook is an old cabinet maker's accessory that comes in handy for any number of odd jobs.

Make them up as shown with one fence slightly short and the other full length. Both sides are usefull for different things depending on which fence works for each task.

The reference to the saw cut is to add a very shallow groove as an eyeball guide for your razor saw. But this is obviously optional if you don't have a table saw.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Last edited by BMatthews; Nov 08, 2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 05:30 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
7,571 Posts
Chad Veich and I think along the same lines for fuselage fixtures....I have one very much like his,and as he says,you can move it out of the way,and hang it on a wall if necessary...
I made several clamps to hold things down,or to square things up,with a single screw into the work surface
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:46 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Fig or Jixture?

Sorry, can't resist this one.

I'm sure the PC Police are gnashing their teeth at the use of the long-used term 'jig' here.

But does that mean the famous musical 'Riverdance' features lots of dancers performing 'Irish Fixtures' ?

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Nov 09, 2012, 06:35 PM
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
1,699 Posts
I bought my Ajusto-Jig in 1981 and haven't stopped using it. I've used it for wings and fuselages since then. It's no longer made, so if you see one on E-Bay, buy it!

CD
Captain Dunsel is offline Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:57 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
7,571 Posts
I called it a 'fixture' because it's politically correct..But the Election's over ! I'll know what you're talking about,if you call it a 'jig'...

Why do people beats us up over such simple,insignificant things ???

I had a 'Rotisserie' jig for a while,that clamped to the work bench,and mounted to the firewall by the motor mount bolts.....perfect for sanding,covering,and painting. The fuse could be rotated to any comfortable position..

Dereck-I said "motor" mount ! Lol ha ha
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member