HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:58 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,904 Posts
The One-For-Tea is basically a Ce$$na 140. However, that company is very particular about model designers naming their planes after the real deal, unless they are paid royalties or something like that.
builderdude is offline Find More Posts by builderdude
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:24 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,199 Posts
The ACE Commander Pulse Proportional system was not really "galloping ghost" (which sounds cool) I am thankful for my tail-flapper Ace outfit. It was small and light enough for Flyline and other larger 1/2 A scale model kits and scratch builts. Very reliable with superhet receiver and easy to use. I loved my 48" Sterling Mambo, with "Stomper" actuator. Could loop and roll it and land in same Zip code area every time.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:03 PM
United States, GA, Smyrna
Joined Oct 2011
56 Posts
Nice looking plane Oki.
ithia is offline Find More Posts by ithia
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:35 PM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged View Post
The ACE Commander Pulse Proportional system was not really "galloping ghost" (which sounds cool) I am thankful for my tail-flapper Ace outfit. It was small and light enough for Flyline and other larger 1/2 A scale model kits and scratch builts. Very reliable with superhet receiver and easy to use. I loved my 48" Sterling Mambo, with "Stomper" actuator. Could loop and roll it and land in same Zip code area every time.
Actually, it is half a GG system. There was a pulse rate transmitter mod offered by Ace R/C, which would replace the rudder only stick with a 2 axis stick to include elevator and additional circuitry to the transmitter encoding section. One took the Adams actuator and added a special linkage that worked off the rudder. At faster pulse rates, it would give either down or up elevator and slower the opposite. Because at the slower rate, the plane would tend to porpoise a little, hence where the galloping came from. Due the interactivity, when one made turns, it fed a little up elevator, so it wasn't perfect. With the KRD quick blip sequential Hi-Med-Lo back to Hi servo and push switch on the transmitter, one had then a complete GG system.

The other option was a Rand motorized actuator instead of the Adams, which offered all three controls, rudder, elevator and motor control. This was heavier, more battery hungry. I remember seeing an unsold one in one of the hobby stores in the late 1970's. They wanted too much and at the time digital proportional stuff was dropping in price and was cheaper.

So, it wasn't hard to figure out what was best to purchase.
OkiThumper is offline Find More Posts by OkiThumper
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:37 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,199 Posts
The Ace Commander was the first system small and light enough for rubber scale conversions. I even tried the tiny Bentert actuator but it was too wimpy for my use. I flew a Comet 18" w/s Piper Cub with it on a Tee Dee .010 successfully and cobbled up some simple profile models with sheet balsa "Jedelsky" wings using the "baby" actuator. Adams actuators were somewhat delicate and they finally stopped making them which ended my string of rudder-flappers.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:44 PM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
You did some creative things there E-Challenge, with the available technology of the time. Smallest RC plane I built was Ken Willard's Top Flite Roaring 20, an all balsa 20" span Top Dawg look alike with .020 Pee Wee and Adams Baby Twin actuator. It was a blast to fly.

The Adams actuators were very simple devices. One could probably make their own with a little ingenuity. However, the availability of modern low cost digital micro servos and micro receivers leave this to those who want to relive the old days of flying.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:20 PM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
1962 Sterling Minnie Mambo Nearing Completion

36 inches (914 mm) wingspan Minnie Mamo is nearing completion. Fuselage and rudder are now covered with Hobby Shack (now Hobby People) Flite Coat film. Elevator is white Monokote. Wing was covered earlier with a low temp off-brand sock film.

It will be proportional rudder and a proportional throttled .061 Norvel Big Mig Revlite RC engine. I have the aftermarket Cox Texaco glow plug adapter and a Medium Hot (Yellow) Swanson Associates standard glow plug installed. (I have a 1.2V standard glow plug driver).

I did fuel proof tests with Sherwin Williams Forest Green spray and with Rustoleum Black Laquer spray. Needless to say, they are not fuel proof (30% O'Donnell Heli Fuel used). I'll need to a find a fuel proof paint compatible with plastic covering or use plastic trim film.

It should be flight ready in a couple days.
Last edited by OkiThumper; Nov 23, 2012 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Corrected grammatical errors.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:37 AM
United States, VA, Forest
Joined Nov 2009
282 Posts
Very nice looking bird. Good luck on the maiden.

John
Rubbernecker is offline Find More Posts by Rubbernecker
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:52 PM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
Thanks, John.

I have some black Monokote trim, thinking about sunburst pattern on the wing and stab. Also purchased on sale from Hobby Lobby (not the model plane company) Happy 50th Anniversary gold colored script lettering. Think I'll put that on the fuselage with a trim background to make it stand out. AFAIK, Minnie came out as a kit around 1962, 50 years ago.

Also found the Minnie Mambo color graphic (can't recall exactly where, might even been RCgroups). Since I don't have a color printer, I have used my LaserJet to print this. Although with a white background it as gray scale looked gothic and appropriate for my color scheme, yet clear coating just didn't work. Of all things, it caused a slight color separation in the toner, causing a light magenta tint bleed around the letters.

Now I'm trying it on bright magenta card stock (left over from my daughter's school project). It printed quite decent, looks good so far. A coat of clear urethane on both sides will darken it and protect it from glow fuel. We'll see how that comes out. If okay, then I will contact cement it to the underside of the wing.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:17 PM
"Butchering Balsa since 1971"
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Dec 2003
1,062 Posts
I have a Minnie Mambo built from the Early RC kit that's been in my fleet for a while now. Started life with a TT .074, but changed over to PAW diesel power about 2 years ago. Good little bird, very responsive to rudder. Love hearing all the guys asking my buddies "how's he rolling that thing with no ailerons?"

Good little ship. Need to build another.
Cash
CashRC is offline Find More Posts by CashRC
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:50 PM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CashRC View Post
I have a Minnie Mambo built from the Early RC kit that's been in my fleet for a while now. Started life with a TT .074, but changed over to PAW diesel power about 2 years ago. Good little bird, very responsive to rudder. Love hearing all the guys asking my buddies "how's he rolling that thing with no ailerons?"

Good little ship. Need to build another. Cash
I can't agree with you more there Cash, she is a good ship. Lately the weather has been too windy here for a test flight. Still working on color trimming her out. We do get some calm spots during the morning, waiting for this winter wind from Colorado to go away and warmer winds from Mexico to come our way. A TT GP-07 would really make her a true hot dawg, the Norvel .061 I've installed will also do the gal justice.

Yes, it kind of amazes people how one can maintain full flight control on just rudder and throttle. With the .061, I should be able to do multiple loops and barrel rolls.