SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 07, 2012, 02:03 PM
Joined Aug 2011
51 Posts
Question
Litehawk Whisper? Anyone know if good?

I was thinking of asking for this boat for christmas.

http://www.litehawk.ca/Whisper.asp

It sounds like good quality from the description, carbon fiber mast, and its made in Canada but wondered if anyone has tried it?
RetepTrun is offline Find More Posts by RetepTrun
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2012, 02:58 PM
Chicago , Illinois
Joined Jul 2008
934 Posts
Hi
I went and read thru the instructions on the website, the main thing I noted was
they recommend using this is ONLY in fresh water - which tells me that some of
the materials used in this model may not be of super good quality.
It does have separate rudder and sail controls ( I was concerned, some of these
smaller models may only have rudder, one has a motor instead of a rudder !)
but, at 10.25 inches long, and 6 ounces weight-it's only gonna handle VERY light
winds.
quite honestly, I would take the $100. this will cost you, save up some more , and try and find a used Nirvana - something that WILL sail well, IS built well, and will
FEEL more like a sailboat should. if you had the chance to sail both, the
difference would astound you. just trying to help - a happy first time sailor helps
everyone in the hobby.
thorsail is offline Find More Posts by thorsail
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:31 PM
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
550 Posts
I must agree with Thor...

Such a small boat is very difficult to sail compared to al larger one (say 800mm to 1 metre)

This boat DOEs have the advantage of being complete (with a radio etc) I think and would be very easy to transport if transporting (rigged) is an issue depending on your location and means of transport.

Apart from the Nirvana, also have a look at the Surmount from HobbyKing - this works out at a similar price if you add one of the HK radios
Boat around $80-100:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Surmount_.html

Radio (TX and RX) around $25
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...2_Mode_2_.html

Prices & freight costs vary depending on which HobbyKIng store you buy from

Surmount sailing in strong wind here:
Surmount in windy conditions (2 min 38 sec)
mrpenguin is offline Find More Posts by mrpenguin
Old Nov 07, 2012, 09:16 PM
Joined Aug 2011
51 Posts
Thanks folks.
I guess I'm going have to think about this for awhile I guess.

Good thing you saw that fresh water thing. Thats what I really worry about, since I was thinking of using it at the beach. Here on Prince Edward Island we have a some wide but very shallow beaches on the south shore. I was thinking I might sail between the sandbars(very shallow), but I that needs a shallow keel, else you go aground.

I'm curious, would the mini blackhawk(sailboat I have now) fall into the 'difficult to sail' category? I've found that unless the wind is perfect, I dont move at all with too little or with too much the sail servo arm cant hold well against a wind and I cant bring it about nor jibe hardly.
But it has been repairable, unlike my pro-fisherman that I cant get gears for, or my brothers zigzag racer witha the rudder that always wants a hard right and is really hard to adjust(for the few times it stays adjusted).
Old Nov 08, 2012, 12:01 AM
Chicago , Illinois
Joined Jul 2008
934 Posts
more info - very good !
so, you DO have some sailing experience , and I guess the idea of the Whisper
is for VERY shallow water use ? Maybe I have another suggestion for you...
www.vac-u-boats.com
A fellow here in the states,(Georgia, maybe ?) sells something called the
"vac-u-tug jr." it's a 22" tugboat -sold as a kit. they run really well. perhaps
this could be even more fun in the shallows than a sailboat ?
and
if you can get access to a digital camera, how about posting a couple of pics
here of your Blackhawk ? set the boat up like you usually do - show us how it
looks from astern, from the bow, etc. --just sitting on the stand will do fine.
I'll bet you just need to adjust the sails some for it to sail properly...most often
people get the booms set wrong, and then the boat won't sail correctly.

is this it ? the Victor 24" Blackhawk ? it should sail well !
thorsail is offline Find More Posts by thorsail
Old Nov 08, 2012, 06:22 PM
Joined Aug 2011
51 Posts
Sure I'll take a picture later.

But thats the picture that was in the catalogue when we ordered it 6 or 7 years ago. The difference is that mine never had the decals put on, and the one in that picture seems to have the servos above the deck(mine only has the servo arms visible) , and I think his rudder is a little bigger.

It does sail good when the wind is right, and my father can sail it better than I can.
Yea I was thinking of the litehawk because be sailable in the really shallow areas at low tide where It could not get away. If it wont last in saltwater though, I wont buy it unless I move somewhere with better ponds.

Weather here is rainy right now and we just got out the winter coats.

Say, just watched that surmount video, looks like a good boat.
Looking at how they handle in the wind I would say it was identical to the blackhawk in the video's "normal", at that time it is a lot of fun.
A little more wind and if the wind is astern the bow starts to go under.
In the video's "heavy" it is impossible to control and better to not to sail. I have never been able to go at the "bit quick".
Last edited by RetepTrun; Nov 08, 2012 at 06:34 PM.