SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:00 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,271 Posts
Buck huck was my first balsa plane. I thought it was a good plane for learning, not the easiest plane to fly but it's inexpensive and small. The 47'' SHP or 48'' Edge from 3DHS are easier to fly because they are a little bigger. The 48'' or 41'' 3DHS Edges are good first 3D balsa planes so is the 48'' Extreme Flight Edge.
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:07 AM
ride hard and fly low
Joined Aug 2011
585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
Buck huck was my first balsa plane. I thought it was a good plane for learning, not the easiest plane to fly but it's inexpensive and small. The 47'' SHP or 48'' Edge from 3DHS are easier to fly because they are a little bigger. The 48'' or 41'' 3DHS Edges are good first 3D balsa planes so is the 48'' Extreme Flight Edge.
+1, good call.
H.D. is offline Find More Posts by H.D.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:21 AM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_TT View Post
Forgot to mention, Hyperion Extra 330 20e and 35e are on sale now. I just picked up a 35e for $171 including a Hyperion 3025-10, that's $100+ motor! The 20e with motor combo is $127. Google the 20e and you can see how good it flies. And the quality of Hyperion motor is great.
On sale where with motor? Where did you get yours from?
3flyguy3 is offline Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
Last edited by 3flyguy3; Nov 09, 2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:31 AM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
I see a few retailers out here in googleland. How does this compare to EF and
3DHS Extra? The deal sounds great.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:52 AM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3flyguy3 View Post
I see a few retailers out here in googleland. How does this compare to EF and
3DHS Extra? The deal sounds great.
I got it from Allerc.com. I have two 3DHS and one EF. I like those birds but I also like diversity. The quality of Hyperion is on par to the big two. Hyperion is very popular in Japan, and those Japanese knows about quality. I did not have a chance to maiden my 35e due to the weather though. I was in the market for 48"+ plane and ran across the video:
Hyperion 20E Extra 330SC 3D (4 min 9 sec)
, so I think if the 35e (1200w for a 50" plane!) flies half decent as the 20e, I would be happy. I plan to maiden her tomorrow if weather permits. I am also seriously considering picking up the 20e or Sabre 35 as a beater.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Nov 09, 2012, 01:20 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
I'd like to hear the results of your maiden.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:14 PM
" I only fly Davebuilt"
north county san diego
Joined Jan 2011
260 Posts
Foamies have their purpose!!

Quote:
How many of you have transitioned from foamie to balsa? And when you did transition, what did you move to? (Model and size)
I have been using a DW Foamies 48"Yak 54(the last 2 years) to "learn" almost every 3D and XA maneuver in the book! I also use the the Yak to practice precision, like one roll loops and point rolls. Since my passion is flying these same routines with large gas and electric aircraft( up to 40%), and I don't use a simulator, the relatively inexpensive foamie setup is a must have. Since the light wing loading of a foamie makes a lot of the tricks "easier", I get muscle memory down with the foam plane and then practice the manuever with a 48" style balsa (47" 3DHS SHP or 48" EF extra EXP) and then perfect it with my 78" electric EF Extra 300. Transitioning up to 50cc-150cc aircfraft is very fluid, mostly dealing with the different timing issues and mass of the larger planes. Now...certain tricks like blenders, tumbles(verticle or horizontal) and pop tops will be harder to achieve( not impossible) with the lighter foamie.......those are mostly just" stick banging"....which don't take a ton of practice, or skill, to learn anyways!

With the addition of a 13X4.7 slofly APC(for extreme 3D) or 12X3.8 SF( for mixed precision) and 65C 3s batteries...this foamie has gone to the ridiculous level. I also added LED light strips for night flying. After a few weeks of practice...I can perform the same high energy routines in full darkness that I fly during daylight. Seeing a full power weeble wobble in the dark is awesome!

A foam plane has it's place in your hanger for as long as your learning and progressing!

James
wrjames38 is online now Find More Posts by wrjames38
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:04 AM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
Been looking at the 48" Extra by DW today. Kinda torn. Get the Extra or get RealFlight 6.5.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:44 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2011
289 Posts
Hey guys, the 9mm rigid flat-foam Depron foamies fly much better than any airfoiled plane of its size, they handle much more like the giant scale gassers. Plus, there is “No Limit” on how hard you can throw down our Depron foamies, the ridged carbon/aluminum spar and 9mm foam will not break in the air!DW foamies has a ton of planes to choose from,my first foamie was a 48 inch DW extra.Ended up putting in probably around 600 flight and it still flew as good as the first day.Foamies are the only reason ive been able to 3d low to the ground,with out them I would probably still be flying 50 feet high lol.
santiago3d92095 is online now Find More Posts by santiago3d92095
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:35 PM
Joined Dec 2011
2,192 Posts
Quote:
I'd like to hear the results of your maiden.
Maiden went so well! The best $171 I have spent. Whatever you see the 20e has done in that video, the 35e can do with ease. My setup draws 800+w so she can be a rocket ship but also can land by herself. I would definitely recommend the 20e as your first 3d balsa trainer.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:56 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_TT View Post
Maiden went so well! The best $171 I have spent. Whatever you see the 20e has done in that video, the 35e can do with ease. My setup draws 800+w so she can be a rocket ship but also can land by herself. I would definitely recommend the 20e as your first 3d balsa trainer.
Sounds good. $127??? Doesn't seem like that price can be beat.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:01 PM
Joined Dec 2011
2,192 Posts
Quote:
Sounds good. $127??? Doesn't seem like that price can be beat.
True. $127 with motor! Mine also comes with free shipping. Now I regretted not buying some spinners/props when I placed the order. My Dubro 2" spinner is twice as heavy as a Hyperion one.
Last edited by Vince_TT; Nov 10, 2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:51 AM
Joined Feb 2012
116 Posts
In you guys opinion how does the CarbonZ Yak 54 compare to balsa? I love my foamies but want to transition to balsa. I bought a CarbonZ for just that, I'm still learning and don't want to destroy a balsa plane. Was this a good stepping stone or did I waste my time?
Mr Oz is offline Find More Posts by Mr Oz
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:03 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Oz View Post
In you guys opinion how does the CarbonZ Yak 54 compare to balsa? I love my foamies but want to transition to balsa. I bought a CarbonZ for just that, I'm still learning and don't want to destroy a balsa plane. Was this a good stepping stone or did I waste my time?
For 3D the CarbonZ Yak is a pig. It's very heavy feeling. The good thing about the Yak is that since it's not the easiest to do 3D you'll find balsa planes easy to fly and much better all around compared to the Yak. People that go from the Parkzone Extra 300 to something like a 3DHS or EF Edge they're blown away how much easier the balsa planes are to fly and land. Going from a profile foamy to a balsa plane is a little intimating because the balsa planes don't float like those foamies, but they do float waaaay better than that Yak.

To anyone that want to get into balsa, as long as you are confident in your ability to take off and land you'll be fine. You can start off doing everything high up just to get the feel for the difference and once you're comfortable start bring it lower. To be honest, with planes like the 41'' and 48'' Edge that have wire landing gear, you don't even have to be able to land good every time. The first time i landed my first balsa plane i stalled it and hit the right wing on the ground. I thought i crushed the wing or something but everything was fine. Balsa planes(especially 3DHS and EF)are much stronger than you think.
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:11 AM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
I hear the names Extreme Flight and 3DHS all the time. Is Vince_TT the only person here flying Hyperion? I want to move to balsa but hearing the names of the big two constantly has got me kinda hesitant on the Hyperion Extra 20e despite what seems like a great deal (kit and motor). Is that another case of you get what you pay for? (It may be a decent plane but not good/great to advance to. Maybe later after some balsa experience???)
Thanks Vince, for your input. Just curious if anyone else can compare the afore-mentioned companies for transitioning.