SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:29 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,266 Posts
Just take it one step at a time. Set goals to accomplish in flying(like not crashing for whole batteries and learning new moves) and eventually your next goal will be fly a balsa plane.
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:50 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
Makes sense. Thanks again.
3flyguy3 is offline Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
Old Nov 07, 2012, 08:35 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
When you have the inevitable crash, is it repairable or you need to buy a new one? I'm sure if it's smashed to bits, the answer is yes. But I mean just a "minor" crash. Can you replace/repair parts of balsa?
Old Nov 07, 2012, 08:44 PM
Team Twisted!
Joined Dec 2011
4,266 Posts
If you take a look at this thread you will see that any repair is possible http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...highlight=rcmc but you'll have to decide if it's worth it. I've crashed softly out of a hover or harrier and had no damage, i've landing on the wing crushing the side of the fuse, and i had a battery eject and the plane landed nose first destroying the motor box. The motor box kits that Extreme Flight and 3DHS are great if you have a nose first crash(EF also sells just the fuse). When you crash as long as you gather all the pieces it goes back together like a puzzle but if you break the motor box you need to replace it. It might not look as good as before but if you get it back together straight and solid it will fly the same. You can use simple things like popsicle sticks to hold repairs together on the small planes. From time to time when i'm bored i actually enjoy working on a repair job, you feel accomplished when you fly it again.

Another good thing about 3DHS and EF is they sell spare parts for all their planes so you can buy one wing, a cowl, canopy, etc.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 08:46 PM
Team Twisted!
Joined Dec 2011
4,266 Posts
Here are some videos of repairs(not mine)
3DHS Buck Huck Repair.wmv (3 min 37 sec)

Flite Test - Repairing Covering Film - FLITE TIP (9 min 1 sec)
Old Nov 07, 2012, 10:03 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
That is very good info. Sure makes the decision to move towards balsa more comfortable. I will admit that balsa repair sure looks like a lot of work. But I'm glad to know repairs are possible. And thanks for the link. Good reading. I should be calling it a night but can't stop clicking to the next page.
Last edited by 3flyguy3; Nov 07, 2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 12:41 PM
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Aug 2010
1,119 Posts
Quote:
learn all the high energy moves that foamies can't do no matter how hard you try
Like what?
poiyt is offline Find More Posts by poiyt
Old Nov 08, 2012, 12:59 PM
Team Twisted!
Joined Dec 2011
4,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poiyt View Post
Like what?
Crankshafts, pop tops, (decent) blenders, and all the crazy random flips and spins you can do by just jamming the sticks to the corners. They also fly waaaaaaay more precisely for those that like to fly precision.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 01:08 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,192 Posts
I think Hone1er was referring to EPP profile planes. They are just too floaty to do a decent poptop, crankshaft, etc. But some full fuse EPP planes are capable of doing so.

I flew balsa sporty and warbirds for a while and then started practicing 3D with TechOne products and a homemade 32" Yak. Four month later I flew a "good" balsa 3D plane, I got hooked and never look back, except my 3DHS 48" EPP Extra for practicing new maneuvers.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Nov 08, 2012, 01:09 PM
Joined Dec 2011
2,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
Crankshafts, pop tops, (decent) blenders, and all the crazy random flips and spins you can do by just jamming the sticks to the corners. They also fly waaaaaaay more precisely for those that like to fly precision.
you beat me to it! lol
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:35 PM
San Diego
Joined May 2008
38 Posts
EPP to Depron to Balsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post

As a suggestion, you might want to take a look at the larger DW Foamies 9mm Depron kits. My buddies and I that fly giant scale also fly the DW 48in. and 55in. Depron foamies, mostly because they have much of the same feel as their IMAC and freestyle planes. The 9mm Depron airframes will teach you how to land without tearing up the belly and to have respect for the airframe, unlike the smaller EPP foamies. I have caught wingtips that resulted in cart wheels, had some hard landings and the thicker Depron holds up very well. Fractures and cracked pieces are easily repaired with a squirt of CA and kicker. On my 48in foamie the wings are removable, making for easy transportation, plus DWFoamies has replacement parts for the larger foamies. I have used the equipment from a crashed 47'' SHP and moved everything over to my foamie. This can also go the other way, your 48in foamie electronics can be moved over to a built up balsa airframe.

Plus DW Foamies has been around forever and has great support.

-A
brounera is offline Find More Posts by brounera
Old Nov 09, 2012, 07:55 AM
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Aug 2010
1,119 Posts
+1000 on Mike Morgan & DWF.

Now...what's a good balsa in the 32"-42" range that can be flown w/ great violence?

My foam 3D is much improved in all flt regimes...been lookin at balsa now, due to airframe rigidity, which no foamie can match

But I'd need something capable of the extreme kinetic energy that some of my foam is capable of

...suggestions? 99-buck Huck?
poiyt is offline Find More Posts by poiyt
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:03 AM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brounera View Post
As a suggestion, you might want to take a look at the larger DW Foamies 9mm Depron kits. My buddies and I that fly giant scale also fly the DW 48in. and 55in. Depron foamies, mostly because they have much of the same feel as their IMAC and freestyle planes. The 9mm Depron airframes will teach you how to land without tearing up the belly and to have respect for the airframe, unlike the smaller EPP foamies. I have caught wingtips that resulted in cart wheels, had some hard landings and the thicker Depron holds up very well. Fractures and cracked pieces are easily repaired with a squirt of CA and kicker. On my 48in foamie the wings are removable, making for easy transportation, plus DWFoamies has replacement parts for the larger foamies. I have used the equipment from a crashed 47'' SHP and moved everything over to my foamie. This can also go the other way, your 48in foamie electronics can be moved over to a built up balsa airframe.

Plus DW Foamies has been around forever and has great support.

-A
That makes great sense. I was always hesitant about depron because it's so fragile, but if I plan to move to balsa I should want to learn how to fly and protect a fragile plane as I'm a lot more careless with my EPP planes. And it's my understanding, correct me if I'm wrong, depron flies more true to balsa than EPP.
Going to DW's site now. Thanks!
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:26 AM
Joined Dec 2011
2,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poiyt View Post
+1000 on Mike Morgan & DWF.

Now...what's a good balsa in the 32"-42" range that can be flown w/ great violence?

My foam 3D is much improved in all flt regimes...been lookin at balsa now, due to airframe rigidity, which no foamie can match

But I'd need something capable of the extreme kinetic energy that some of my foam is capable of

...suggestions? 99-buck Huck?
Not many choices in the 32"~42" range that fit your bill for sure. I have a 42" AJ Slick that can be very violent. But, you might want to look at a bipe like E-filte Ultimate, PA AMR, and 3DHS Vyper bipe. My old GP Ultimate's AUW is similar to my Slick, using a motor 100w less than the one used in the Slick, but the bipe still out-violent all of my mono-planes. She is very 3D capable except the upright harrier due to the short fuse and coupling. I really like the look of the 39" Sbach from Hobbyking, but don't know if she is a good 3D plane.

BTW, I won't recommend a bipe as a transition plane. I have two balsa Pitts Special before I started learning 3D, so I got the feels of some nasty behaviors of a bipe. Still, I am on my toes all the time flying a bipe. I am really interested in picking up a Sabre 35 since I have all the electronics needed. I think she will be one step closer to a full fuse balsa than a Depron and very cost friendly.
Last edited by Vince_TT; Nov 09, 2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 10:55 AM
Joined Dec 2011
2,192 Posts
Forgot to mention, Hyperion Extra 330 20e and 35e are on sale now. I just picked up a 35e for $171 including a Hyperion 3025-10, that's $100+ motor! The 20e with motor combo is $127. Google the 20e and you can see how good it flies. And the quality of Hyperion motor is great.