HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 07, 2012, 11:55 AM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
Question
Foamie to balsa

How many of you have transitioned from foamie to balsa? And when you did transition, what did you move to? (Model and size)
3flyguy3 is offline Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:31 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,318 Posts
I went from foam to balsa about 6 months ago after flying 32'' and 44'' profile foamies for 3 months. After i felt like i could fly multiple batteries on my Telink Extra Slick without crashing i moved up to a 41'' 3DHS Edge which only lasted about 100 flights but that was enough to get me hooked on balsa planes. You just have to accept that you will crash and have to spend some time repairing planes once in a while.
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:54 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
I went from foam to balsa about 6 months ago after flying 32'' and 44'' profile foamies for 3 months. After i felt like i could fly multiple batteries on my Telink Extra Slick without crashing i moved up to a 41'' 3DHS Edge which only lasted about 100 flights but that was enough to get me hooked on balsa planes. You just have to accept that you will crash and have to spend some time repairing planes once in a while.
How do you like the Edge? What made you decide on 41" as opposed to something bigger?
Did you go with the suggested setup on their site for the Edge?
I keep seeing 3DHS come up, I assume they're one of the best out there.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 01:07 PM
Team Twisted!
Joined Dec 2011
4,318 Posts
I went with the 41'' Edge because of price and durability. It was a good plane for learning but as soon as i got a 47'' SHP i sold the Edge. The SHP did everything much slower than the Edge so it was easier to keep up with but it was less durable than the Edge. I also picked the 41'' Edge because i was intimidated by bigger planes(even 48'') which i now know was wrong. If i could do it again i would have got the 48'' Edge from them first to learn on(or the 48'' Edge from Extreme Flight)because the bigger planes are less twitchy and easier to fly.

I went with the suggested setup(65mg, ice lite 50, omega 70g motor) and it worked perfectly
IMO 3DHS and EF are the best of the best for 3D
Old Nov 07, 2012, 02:12 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
I've tried to find threads specifically about 3DHS but haven't found any yet. So thanks a bunch.

My next question was going to be about both Extreme Flight or 3DHS customer service. I've read a lot of threads that 3DHS has poor customer service. Any thoughts?

I was thinking about graduating to 48" "something" and build over the winter months slowly. MXS, Edge, Slick?? Thoughts on these?
Old Nov 07, 2012, 02:14 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
I've tried to find threads specifically about 3DHS but haven't found any yet. So thanks a bunch.

My next question was going to be about both Extreme Flight or 3DHS customer service. I've read a lot of threads that 3DHS has poor customer service. Any thoughts?

I was thinking about graduating to 48" "something" and build over the winter months slowly. MXS, Edge, Slick?? Thoughts on these?

Sorry if this in the wrong forum. Didn't mean to get too far from foamies. Just looking for some direction.
Last edited by 3flyguy3; Nov 07, 2012 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Sorry. Double post. Stupid mobile phone
Old Nov 07, 2012, 02:22 PM
Team Twisted!
Joined Dec 2011
4,318 Posts
On the customer service...both companies have great customer service but people have been having a hard time getting a hold of 3DHS so i prefer to deal with EF. When you get responses from 3DHS they are very helpful it just takes a while sometimes.

The Edges are built to be the most stable for low and slow 3D. The Slick and MXS are both a little more aggressive airframes. The Edge would be the most forgiving of the 3.

This is a relevant topic for this section since a lot of people here eventually want to get a balsa plane.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 04:19 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,707 Posts
Anyone know if there is a UK supplier of 3DHS stuff?
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
Old Nov 07, 2012, 04:23 PM
Team Twisted!
Joined Dec 2011
4,318 Posts
http://www.globalrc.co.uk/

Looks like some pretty good prices on some of the stuff.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:43 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,707 Posts
Quote:
http://www.globalrc.co.uk/

Looks like some pretty good prices on some of the stuff.
Thx hone1r.
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:23 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
Quote:
On the customer service...both companies have great customer service but people have been having a hard time getting a hold of 3DHS so i prefer to deal with EF. When you get responses from 3DHS they are very helpful it just takes a while sometimes.

The Edges are built to be the most stable for low and slow 3D. The Slick and MXS are both a little more aggressive airframes. The Edge would be the most forgiving of the 3.

This is a relevant topic for this section since a lot of people here eventually want to get a balsa plane.
Thanks! It's a bit of a big step from foamies. Is the build pretty simple? I've been looking at both of the mentioned companies all day.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:35 PM
Team Twisted!
Joined Dec 2011
4,318 Posts
Yeah, actually the builds are really straight forward. There are build videos for the 48'' EXPs from EF here http://extremeflightrc.com/html/arf_resource.html they all build the same way. I like that EF has all the servo and cooling holes pre cut for you. I was actually surprised at how easy it was to build a balsa plane. Like i said my first balsa plane was the 41'' Edge and there are also build videos for that plane too. Once you build one balsa plane you'll probably never have to look at a manual to build another because they all go together pretty straight forward.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:58 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
Nice. Are you still flying balsa?
Old Nov 07, 2012, 08:07 PM
Team Twisted!
Joined Dec 2011
4,318 Posts
Yup I have one foamy left in my hanger and 4 balsa planes. After you try a really good balsa plane and learn all the high energy moves that foamies can't do no matter how hard you try you never really want to go back to foam. I have my foamy for those lazy days though still.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 08:24 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
Must be nice. Someday.