HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 07, 2012, 09:49 AM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,082 Posts
Discussion
Pat Tritle Super Cub Glow Conversion

I am wanting to do a glow conversion on Pat's super cub. I was thinking of putting like a .25 or a .35 engine in it. Is that too much for a plane of that size or is it ok?
Kyler1 is offline Find More Posts by Kyler1
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2012, 09:59 AM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,758 Posts
I think it would be perfect! A 40 four stroke would be good and a little bigger for floats. Build thread?
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Nov 07, 2012, 10:19 AM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,082 Posts
I would love to do a 40 FS, but I am a little short on funds because I am only 15. So I am going to try to do it as cheaply as possible. I do fly floats though, so that is something else to think about. If anyone has a 40 FS that you want to sell for a good price shoot me a pm. I will try to do a build thread, but I have a problem with forgeting to take pictures when I get in the building mood.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 11:42 AM
United States, GA, Fort Oglethorpe
Joined Dec 2004
76 Posts
I am not so sure about converting a Tritle plane to glow. I had that same question when I got the TritleTri-Pacer. I was told by several that a glow engine on any of those Tritle planes would not work due to the fact that they are built using all balsa (even the firewall) to be super light and slow fliers and a glow engine would twist the front end right off! I have had issues with mine breaking wing ribs when I try to remove a wing panel! I think that if the right modifications were made during the building process, you might get away with it. Please keep us all posted if you proceed!

I have included some pics of my Tritle TP.

Enjoy!
Dan
Dan Matheson is offline Find More Posts by Dan Matheson
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:26 PM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,082 Posts
Well I would renforce the firewall and other major stress joints with ply. I didn't know that it was all balsa though, is there anyone who has built the super cub that can tell me how strong it is.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 02:05 PM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,082 Posts
I just emailed Pat and he said that there is no way it would work without a serious redesign. So I guess I will have to find something different. I have been wanting to do a 1/6 scale sig cub and kit bashing it into a pa-18, but I really would rather build something smaller, even 1/2a size would be nice. If anyone knows of a kit such as this please let me know.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 04:45 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,497 Posts
It will shake apart.. Pat's designs are very light E models.
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old Nov 08, 2012, 01:49 PM
United States, MD
Joined Sep 2011
64 Posts
Herr (distributed through Sig) makes a 1/2A J3 kit, though I have no experience with it. At that size, you will be hard pressed to find a glow kit that will fly at "scale" speeds I think. I would consider going electric, or going a little larger for glow.

http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...FV5.html?E+Sig
RocketDog is offline Find More Posts by RocketDog
Old Nov 08, 2012, 02:36 PM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,082 Posts
I actually have the Herr cub, but I wanted something just like that, but with alerons and flaps. I could kit bash a herr kit into a super cub, but I was hoping to find a actual pa-18 kit. Electric really isn't an option for me, I don't know a lot about electric and I have had a bad experience with it (long story) and I really just like glow to tell you the truth. My next option is to kit bash a sig 1/6 scale, that is more then likely what I am going to do unless I can find a pa-18 kit.