HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:15 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeast View Post
Andy any new pictures?
No, my shop and garage have been taken over by a club building project, a 150% Kadet. Progress is slow because I'm working with new guys and doing as much together with them as possible (teaching construction).

It won't be much longer, though. I really look forward to getting back onto the Shrike and then continuing to clean off my "broken and unfinished models" pile this winter.

Bob, you got some pretty planes there.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:24 PM
Joined Dec 2009
111 Posts
Here are a few pictures of the progress on mine. Got the second wing done and the tips for both. Started the Fuse, but need to hold off on anything further until the nose gear shows up. I will get started on the tail next so that is done when the nose gear shows up. Was good to get back at it after all the Christmas stuff. I will post more pictures as work progresses. Jeff
jstern429 is offline Find More Posts by jstern429
Old Jan 01, 2013, 06:01 PM
Joined Dec 2009
111 Posts
Here are some more pics of the progress. Got the elevator section done and added a 1/8" carbon rod to add some strength to the flat area. Vertical stabilizers are also finished and also added the aileron stock. I ran out of wood so I will get to the elevator later. Still waiting on the nose gear, but it should be here in a day or two. Happy holidays to all.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:41 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,114 Posts
Looking great! I like the tail.

I should be finishing up the big Kadet within a week, so I'll be starting covering on mine then. Can't wait!

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:45 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,114 Posts
I'm finally back working on the Shrike. Right now I'm just adding the little bits and fillers to make sure it will cover and then fit together tightly when finished.

I was looking for more photos and info of the giant white Shrike with Joe Beshar beside it, and I happened upon this video:

http://rcairgallery.com/gallery/page...deo=102&size=2

And here is a still to go with it: http://rcairgallery.com/gallery/page...bum=28&slide=2

I still have that Habu 32 fan unused, and I know I can make a cleaner install than what I saw there ...

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 19, 2013, 02:31 PM
Joined Dec 2009
111 Posts
Hay Andy, any idea of what the wing span was of the Giant Shrike? I think I want to go bigger on the next one.

Not much new on mine either, got the elevator made and the nose gear came in, but got busy with work and just haven't gotten back at it.

Jeff
Old Jan 19, 2013, 02:33 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,114 Posts
Probably about 6', those are just guesses from the two pictures and the video and other jets around here I'm familiar with.

How much bigger are you going to go?

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 19, 2013, 02:43 PM
Joined Dec 2009
111 Posts
Thinking maybe in the 48" to 60" range. Do you think scaling up what I have already have would work?

Jeff
Old Jan 19, 2013, 02:58 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,114 Posts
I think you need to add more ribs, or go to a foam core. If you use something like Profili2 it is very simple to do.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 19, 2013, 03:11 PM
Joined Dec 2009
111 Posts
Well seeing I am a sign guy I work in Corel Draw, but adding ribs or making templates to cut foam would not be a problem. It's funny I originally bought the plans years ago to do something in foam, but never got around to it. It may actually happen now. I will have to see how the one I am building works out and a bigger one might really happen.

Jeff
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:59 AM
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
346 Posts
Shrike Freaks:

I now have the plans, the rib and firewall templates, and the instruction booklet in PDF.

Free to anyone who wants to build one. (Or is just thinking about it.)

PM me your email, and I'll send em.

Shrikes forever!!
Bob Hunt is offline Find More Posts by Bob Hunt
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:17 AM
WI
Joined Oct 2004
904 Posts
You guys make some beautiful planes.
King_Ice_Flash is offline Find More Posts by King_Ice_Flash
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:18 PM
Joined Dec 2009
111 Posts
Well look what I just found! Does it look like something we all know & love. Go to bloodymicks.com and you can down load the PDF plans.

Of course I had to find something I have the power system for and yes I just happen to have a sheet of depron laying around. I guess I know what I am doing this week end, I should really keep working Shrike, but this is way too cool.

Jeff
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:45 PM
Joined Oct 2012
83 Posts
i just got the shrike 40 and put a os ax 95 on a 11x9 prop she flys beautiful!
crazyflyer92 is offline Find More Posts by crazyflyer92
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:47 PM
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
346 Posts
I understand your username, now.
Bob Hunt is offline Find More Posts by Bob Hunt