HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2003, 12:26 AM
Oklahoma City
Joined Oct 2003
94 Posts
Great Planes Magic Magnet Building Board

Has anyone used this thing? Is it worth it? I have been using a piece of glass to build on which makes for very straight wings but it is sometimes hard to cut the bottom spar free and I thought I would give something new a try especially for the small electric planes I am starting to work on now.

Chris W
cdw3423 is offline Find More Posts by cdw3423
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2003, 04:06 AM
Impossible? Hah!
Oslo Fornebu, Norway
Joined Jun 2003
3,074 Posts
Cover the glass with "butter-paper" or similar. It's kinda like baking-film/paper in that it contains a layer that CA will not adhere to. It can also be thin enough to see through!
No more gluing your model to the building-table...
KreAture is offline Find More Posts by KreAture
Old Dec 08, 2003, 09:27 AM
Oklahoma City
Joined Oct 2003
94 Posts
Inadvertant gluing of the spar to the glass isn't the problem. I use a spar that is a few inches too long and then glue the ends and a small spot in the center to the glass to hold it straight while I glue every thing else together. Since there is no way to pin to glass that's the only way I can think of to hold the main spar straight while I glue the ribs to it. Getting the ends off is easy since they stick past the end of the wing by a few inches, but that one spot in the center can some times be hard. There is a fine line between not enough glue to hold it in place and so much that it is very hard to pop off with my razor blade.
cdw3423 is offline Find More Posts by cdw3423
Old Dec 08, 2003, 12:01 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Jan 2002
1,271 Posts
Chris,
I like using a magnet board though not the Great Planes' one. I just have a piece of ductwork (thin zinc coated steel) laying flat with 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/8 Alnico magnets (40 of them is not too many!).
The Great Planes looks nice and with a sophisticated magnet and tool set I say get it and many magnets and you'll be happy.
You still have to not CA the magnets to the work though LOL
-Mike
FlyByMike is offline Find More Posts by FlyByMike
Old Dec 08, 2003, 06:51 PM
Joined Jul 2002
1,155 Posts
CA to the glass?

I build over glass too, but use masking tape for the kind of work you describe. -thumbs
fumblethumbs is offline Find More Posts by fumblethumbs
Old Dec 08, 2003, 07:38 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Jan 2002
1,271 Posts
I do like working on glass 'cause it's flat. I could never figure out the problem you described, Chris. But, by golly, I think thumbs has given a good tip. Very good, in fact
-Mike
FlyByMike is offline Find More Posts by FlyByMike
Old Dec 09, 2003, 09:31 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
I messed with a similar magnetic building system - a friend insisted that I needed to try it out (suspect getting it out of his apartment might have been invovled). I used it with a sheet of thin steel - hardware store stuff - laid on my usual wooden building table (cheap inside door from hardware store).

Wasn't really impressed with the magnet system at all. That was with models around 4 - 6', with a small model, drop a magnet or something - and crunch!

Have spent too long building on wooden planks to change now, though the glass board method sounds real good for small models. My favourite is Guillow's balsa building boards, reasonably priced, very flat and easy to pin to.
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Dec 09, 2003, 10:51 AM
Parkton, MD
Joined Dec 2000
345 Posts
I've got a magnetic board but I've just ordered a piece of glass for delivery later this week. I've used the board to build several models.

The board comes with the magnetic stuff as pieces that need assembling with CA. This CA assembly doesn't work very well since a slight drop of the magnet to the board when placing them will often shear the CA joint.

The board isn't flat by itself since it is just a piece of sheet metal with some painted lines on it. The lines wear off pretty quickly and you still need something flat (glass?) to put it on.

It's a pain to store since it's thin and willowy.

In summary it works but it isn't a cureall.

I'm going to glass to get a flatter surface. I'm sure I'll need to learn some new tricks that I've seen mentioned.

I also still use a piece of ceiling tile from HomeDepot with pins but I'm considering buying a real board.

jtm
Jim Miller is offline Find More Posts by Jim Miller
Old Dec 09, 2003, 12:40 PM
Joined Jul 2002
1,155 Posts
I apply a couple of strips of duct tape on both ends of my glass as protection, as it's 6' X 18" in size. Makes moving it on and off the bench less likely to damage or chip it. Drafting tape comes in handy also, as it removes much more easily than plain masking tape from any surface it's applied to. The first few times you build over glass, you'll probably cringe a time or two because you've set your X-Acto or Dremel down a tad hard, forgetting you aren't on your old surface anymore. "Clink" is not a good sound! -thumbs

P.S. - Just a thought, wonder if those miracle glass & windshield chemicals, i.e. "Rain-X", would prevent unwanted sticking? -t
fumblethumbs is offline Find More Posts by fumblethumbs
Last edited by fumblethumbs; Dec 09, 2003 at 12:55 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2003, 06:50 PM
Parkton, MD
Joined Dec 2000
345 Posts
Guillows Board source?

Derek

Where did you get your board?

tnx
jtm
Jim Miller is offline Find More Posts by Jim Miller
Old Dec 14, 2003, 02:39 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi Jim
Off the same guy who gave me the magnetic clamps and stuff, unfortunately! He mentioned he'd had the 48" x 12" or sheet steel 'board' that came with the clamps - he bought it well before Tower offered it - but being an apartment dweller, found the huge sheet of steel too much trouble to have around, so he went to a hardware store (Lowes, Home Depot sort of place) and bought a sheet of thin galvanised sheet steel, around 3' x 1'. It never really laid down flat enough to work decently. Sorry

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Dec 15, 2003, 01:09 AM
So Cal.
Joined Jan 2003
250 Posts
what about a marble building surface? I have a couple of 3/4 by 14 x 24 or so marble slabs that im thinking about using, polished smooth and heavy so it wouldnt move. Anyone used one of these before?
monti is offline Find More Posts by monti
Old Dec 17, 2003, 05:36 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by monti
what about a marble building surface? I have a couple of 3/4 by 14 x 24 or so marble slabs that im thinking about using, polished smooth and heavy so it wouldnt move. Anyone used one of these before?
Great idea! And when you're not building on it you can make fudge or mix ice cream with M&M's on it.

Chuck
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck
Old Dec 19, 2003, 01:21 AM
So Cal.
Joined Jan 2003
250 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chuck
Great idea! And when you're not building on it you can make fudge or mix ice cream with M&M's on it.

Chuck
funny you say that, it was originally intended to be used for baking purposes. I kinda put it to better use.
monti is offline Find More Posts by monti
Old Dec 24, 2004, 06:32 PM
Joined Dec 2004
18 Posts
Want to sell your magnets and fixtures. what are they and how many.

The Bone
the bone is offline Find More Posts by the bone