Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:06 PM
Fix all the things!
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jan 2004
598 Posts
Discussion
JR XG6- Stepping up from a DX5e?

Hi All,

I've been getting back into the swing of things in a decidedly sailplane-y way, and I've acquired a DX5e as part of the Radian package- Which is all fine and dandy while I'm flying one or two models, I'm thinking of the future.

What I want is a basic computer set, with sailplane mixes for all the big ships I might fly, a decent number of model memories, and good range performance, for when my (planned) Bird of Time is but a speck over Lake George/Heathcoate.

Doing a bit of research, the JR XG6 looks great, and while I only have one Rx to replace, I might as well make the change before I go too much further.

Anyone got a credible reason for me to look elsewhere?

Cheers,
Peter
Ozprey is offline Find More Posts by Ozprey
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:58 PM
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jun 2007
435 Posts
You sure that six channels will be enough for future planes? It is for my needs, my race planes are fairly basic controls, but high performance gliders can be pretty sophisticated, flaps, spoilers, ailerons, with numerous flight modes and mixes, etc.
fizzwater2 is offline Find More Posts by fizzwater2
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:24 AM
Fix all the things!
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jan 2004
598 Posts
Should I ever start flying serious competition duration/mutlitask events, I might stretch for more chanels, but to get me flying more models, I think 6 aught to do it.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:43 AM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
956 Posts
You ought to check out the receiver cost of the JR DMSS (replaces DSM2 in the worldwide markets) receivers. Not cheap!

Other systems worth considering and future upgrade paths:
Spektrum DX6i -> Spektrum DX8/DX18 (DX18 I believe has glider programming)
Hitec Optic 6 -> Eclipse 7 PRO/Aurora 9 (Aurora 9 def has glider programming, can't remember about Eclipse 7 PRO)
Futaba 6J -> Futaba 8J/Futaba 14SG (I don't know if 14SG has glider programming, but 8J certainly doesn't).

The Hitec Optic 6 has the best programming features (and I think even glider programming?) out of the 3, but the screen is a bit antiquated and old fashioned. Good radio though and would be the one I'd go for in your case. The Spektrum DX6i would be a close second too - but it depends on what you feel the next upgrade path would be after it.

I have nothing against the JR, I like the look and they offer very good functionality - however $100 for a 6 channel receiver in this day and age is just a plain rip-off. All the others above have genuine 6 channel receivers for under and around the $50 mark.

Si.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:29 AM
Hamburg, GER
Joined Sep 2009
211 Posts
I love my XG6! By far the best 6 ch TX out there. The software is outstanding and you have so many nice features. It's a shame the receivers are so expensive but I've recently had some good experience with HK 4 ch DMSS compatible receivers. Hope there'll be more ch RX available soon.

If your hangar isn't growing too fast I'd definitely go fo the XG6. You won't regret it! If you want original, unfancy, reliable and affordable stuff my vote would go for Futaba S-FHSS.
Jenne is offline Find More Posts by Jenne
Old Nov 08, 2012, 12:42 AM
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Jul 2010
682 Posts
I own a DX8 and a JR XG11. Since you only have 2 models, the higher price of a DMSS receiver won't be bad at all if you.make the switch now. I made the switch to DMSS and I had to buy 10 DMSS receivers; 4-6 channel... Of course selling the old DSM2/X receivers helped offset the cost.
ElIntocable is offline Find More Posts by ElIntocable
Old Nov 08, 2012, 07:49 AM
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jan 2011
410 Posts
I have the DX6i and the XG6. They both are 6 channels, but are entirely different in their capabilities. I bought the XG6 thinking I would try DMSS with very little to lose. If I liked it, it would keep this radio for DLG and then buy the XG11 when Horizon finally has that model in stock with the flight mode switches in the normal mode 2 position.

Here is how the XG6 is different...

- It is designed to support full house sailplanes on 6 channels (flaps on Y harness if using a motorized glider) complete with brake (crow) function and camber and corresponding elevator adjustments. I ran out of programmable mixes instantly trying to do this on DX6i.
- Telemetry is built into the receiver and into the transmitter. To get telemetry on DX6i, you must buy TM1000 telemetry unit, buy an STi unit for your iOS device, and then you are restricted to using DSM2 rather than DSMX. I determined if I am to put an altimeter or vario in each sailplane, it slightly cheaper and definitely lighter to use JR.
- The JR receiver is more expensive because you get more. It has two separate receivers and antennas in the main unit and a smaller satellite that transmits telemetry and acts as a 3rd receiver. The satellite is smaller than Spektrum's satellite units. Also, it has fail safe on all channels. Look into how much it costs to get a Spektrum receiver with fail safe on all channels, 3 receivers, and telemetry.
- The XG6 is faster...I noticed it instantly when I switched my sailplane from DX6i in terms of control surface response. It also binds and reconnects instantly to the model.
- The LCD isn't backlit (like DX6i) but it is of much higher quality than any of the Spektrum line, including the DX18 which I also owned for a couple months.
- XG6 has external memory card for upgrading the radio and for storing models beyond its 20 model memory. DX6i has 10 model memory and no external card. It also has a timer bug that drives me crazy that would require me to send my radio in if there was a fix.
- My understanding is that the XG series of radios support transferring of models from the lower end models to the higher end ones. Can't do that on DX6i. Also, the only radio in Spektrum line supporting sailplane type is the $800 DX18.
- I also understand the trainer port is Spektrum compatible though I haven't tried it yet with my DX6i.

There is much more, especially if I were to dive into the programming, but I think you get the point...these units are not in the same league.

Disadvantages of XG6? It won't fly Spektrum bind N fly, it doesn't have a built-in battery charger (some may like this), and both the transmitter and receivers are more power hungry. I'm also waiting for the darn vario to be released which this radio also supports, but DX6i doesn't support.

Bottom line, this radio is great for trying DMSS before deciding to purchase a higher end JR transmitter that supports more flight modes, servo balancing, etc. for higher end sailplanes.

-Randy
Westranm is offline Find More Posts by Westranm
Last edited by Westranm; Nov 08, 2012 at 10:19 PM. Reason: typos
Old Nov 08, 2012, 08:38 AM
Joined Jun 2007
435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westranm View Post
It has two separate receivers and antennas in the main unit

-Randy
You sure about this - or does it have two antennas and a diversity switch with a single receiver?

Anyone have pictures of the main RX board in one of these? I've seen photos of the satellite, would like to see one of the main receivers.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 01:02 PM
Joined Jul 2010
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwater2 View Post
You sure about this - or does it have two antennas and a diversity switch with a single receiver?

Anyone have pictures of the main RX board in one of these? I've seen photos of the satellite, would like to see one of the main receivers.
Here is proof. I believe it's in the second video. EDIT: Second video, starts at 5:00.

Review (part 1): JR XG8 RC system with DMSS and telemetry (21 min 51 sec)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOvPl...feature=relmfu

So while DMSS receivers are more expensive, you are definitely getting more.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 01:43 PM
Joined Jun 2007
435 Posts
Much appreciated! I've been wanting to know what's in there.. and haven't wanted to drop the coin on an XG8 just yet.

I'll most likely have to wait till after work to watch the whole video..
Old Nov 08, 2012, 02:33 PM
Fix all the things!
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jan 2004
598 Posts
Well, I think I have my answer there! My next o/t paycheck is going to magically become an XG6... Thanks guys!
Old Nov 08, 2012, 02:36 PM
Joined Jun 2007
435 Posts
It's amazing how those OT checks can be magic like that, eh?
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:57 PM
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jan 2011
410 Posts
I've had this radio for a couple weeks and I've managed to get the following setup for a powered, full house glider on 6 channels. This should give you a good idea of what this little $200 radio/receiver combo can do + altimeter.

- Launch mode on the upper left-hand, recessed button. This soft-starts the motor to my specification, starts my timer, instantly sets my camber (flaps and ailerons) for launch, and automatically changes to my launch trim. When I release the button, the motor does a soft shutdown to my specification and drops my model into cruise mode with a transition speed that I specified in the transmitter. I love having the motor on the recessed button--it is much more difficult to accidentally activate.

- Cruise mode has its own camber setting that I control with the left stick. Stick all the way up creates reflex in the wing, middle is neutral, and down is full camber. The trim is set specifically for this mode and the elevator trim is adjusted to account for the camber. The more camber I use, the more elevator up trim it applies for thermal circling.

- When I flip my f-mode lever (labeled moto on the XG6), the plane switches to landing mode with its own camber and trim settings. The left stick controls camber and the brake with neutral camber at the top, full camber in the middle, and transitioning from slight braking to full braking (crow) at the bottom. The braking and the camber are elevator-compensated on a curve.

- I have essentially set up a thermal mode on top of the cruise mode by applying dual rates to tone down the elevator response for thermaling using the right-top f-mode switch on the radio. I also assigned this switch to turn of my altimeter alarms while thermaling.

- The right recessed button is assigned to turn off my timer.

- This radio has travel adjust limits for the servos. I put a limit on the down flaps to ensure I don't over-drive my flap servos. I also limited the left travel on my rudder to get it to match the max right travel.

- The fail safes are set on all channels via a screen in the radio

- The aileron differential is set per flight mode due to different air speeds for each. I can specify a different differential for the air brakes, but they are set to 0%.

- The custom telemetry/status screen is accessed by pushing the roller to the right while flying. I have it set to show my flight mode, timer, altitude, receiver battery voltage and, just for kicks, air pressure. I can get the max/min for each telemetry item by selecting it and holding down on the roller. No telemetry logging here.

- The telemetry is set to beep once for 150 meters AGL (my ALES competition altitude), twice for 800 ft, and 3 times for 1200ft. I shut of the beeping with my thermaling switch. My RX battery alarm is set to 5.5V for my 5.7V BEC. My "no link" alarm for loss of telemetry signal is set to 10s.

- I have a "my list" set up with quickly accessible functions, but I don't use it much so far.

- On the plane, my receiver is set up with an antenna in each of the X, Y, Z axis for optimum signal reception regardless of plane orientation. The long antenna on the telemetry module is actually routed through a vent on the bottom of my plane along its length.

-Randy
Westranm is offline Find More Posts by Westranm
Last edited by Westranm; Nov 08, 2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 07:13 PM
Joined Jun 2007
435 Posts
Thanks again for posting the link to the review - that 8ch receiver is pretty much a main and satellite receiver in one box, with receiver diversity instead of just antenna diversity. Nice packaging job, for sure, and I suppose you could fly it without the remote if you didn't want to use the telemetry.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:11 AM
Joined Jul 2010
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwater2 View Post
Much appreciated! I've been wanting to know what's in there.. and haven't wanted to drop the coin on an XG8 just yet.

I'll most likely have to wait till after work to watch the whole video..
No problem! JR did a good job with DMSS IMHO.

I'd go with XG8 over the XG6 personally. Sure it costs more; you're also getting more.