SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:54 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Sep 2012
84 Posts
Discussion
DH 9116 Perplexity

Ok. I've been flying my 9116 with my new direct drive tail motor & Xtreme 180-a main motor with little trouble then about a wk. or 2 ago I had a crash that was only about 4 ft. off the ground which broke the main blade shaft/left servo(viewing from tail-in view) along with the canopy(big surprise there) I made the necessary repairs & now it flys like a blade sr120 whereby it just doesn't handle as it had. There is now the typical pendulum effect. I can hover it without trouble & moving forward isn't an issue but when I turn in either direction it becomes unstable wanting to dip in the direction of the turn & becoming impossible to control. The swashplate looks good & I replaced it as a possible cause. I checked the servo arms when powered up & they are level. I don't know where to go & am seriously thinking of putting the whole thing up for sale & moving to a different hobby. If its not one thing its another & I'm just starting to get tired. Anyone with some good suggestions.
ironhorse99 is offline Find More Posts by ironhorse99
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:00 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2012
9 Posts
I'd say move on from DH, there are much better brands out there. I learned this the hard way, purchasing a 9104 without any research only to end up with a heli that just will not fly properly
Choppa Hoges is offline Find More Posts by Choppa Hoges
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:09 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
My memory of the DH9116 PCB isn't very good and I can't recall if it does onboard mixing. So, your problems could be the PCB or the servos. If you replaced one servo, you probably should have replaced both.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:33 PM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
4,054 Posts
There is so much going on on the 9116 PCB (RX, 2 ESC's, mixing, gyro) that
it could be anything.

I just bought a whole new RX assembly for $16, free shipping, and got it in 3 days.
Bite the bullet and buy a new board, then start saving for a hobby grade unit.
You won't regret it.

It also could be a damaged servo making the PCB freak out as well, but you don't have to buy
Double Horse servos, and should be able to use them in another model. (unlike the PCB).

Also, check again for bent or damaged parts and linkage.

Here is link to board:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300782014737...84.m1439.l2649

If you don't have the money for a hobby grade setup, post what you are looking for and
a forum member just might set you up. (thanks again Balr14 )

Lots are getting into quads, and their helicopters are collecting dust.
Steve_ is online now Find More Posts by Steve_
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Nov 26, 2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:54 PM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
Joined Nov 2012
4,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choppa Hoges View Post
I'd say move on from DH, there are much better brands out there. I learned this the hard way, purchasing a 9104 without any research only to end up with a heli that just will not fly properly
Overall, I have had great luck with my 9116.
It has been crashed light 20 times, and 2 VERY bad crashes.
On most crashes, I spend $4 or less (and many times nothing) to get it running again.
A free fall drop from about 300 feet cost me under $20.

Do that with a hobby grade and see what it costs...

But overall I have been lucky. Most people have all kinds of issues and
problems with Double Horse products because the quality control and
soldering is terrible.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Our Day at the Park
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:47 PM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
1,050 Posts
Apart from the 'ol 27MHz "cut-out", I haven't had any trouble with my 9104...I liked it so much I modded it for 4 channel stuff, along with the 9116 RX brick, and now have the 9117 enroute as I type. I probably should mention however that I'm already on a second set of motors for the 9104, still have the factory battery after dozens of flights (I read somewhere the LiIon batteries that come with them are good for "10 flights, max") not really anything but overly hot motors, I only did the 4 channel swap on the 9104 because I like to tinker...
Edit: I forgot to mention I only used up the stock motors because I tried using a bigger LiPo battery with it...or more specifically 4 500maH 20c LiPos in parallel, and while it went like a "raped ape", them 'lil motors just couldn't take the current those LiPos fed it...
matiac is offline Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by matiac; Nov 26, 2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:48 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Sep 2012
84 Posts
Well, it looks as though it's the the flybar of all things. Something happened thats not noticeable when it crashed. That is the last thing I replaced & the issue disappeared. Very Strange Indeed. It flys just fine now.
ironhorse99 is offline Find More Posts by ironhorse99
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:04 AM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
Joined Nov 2012
4,054 Posts
Weird. Maybe a ball link was bent or worn really bad or something.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Our Day at the Park