SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 06, 2012, 04:03 PM
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
Build Log
F-86 box fuse construction Higher Res VIDEO AND PLANS ADDED :)

howdy all,
wasnt too sure how this was going to look when I started it, but it doesnt seem to look too bad so I decided to post the build sequence and maybe the plans... if she flies good
anyhow its a box fuse F-86 that is rounded to shape by sanding. the specs:

dollar tree foam (de-papered)
SA 35mm fan
16" span
16" or so length
hopeing to use 2s 350mah batt (should work in this one) ended up going with a 3s 460mah 35-50c NanoTech
forgoing ailerons and will attempt tailerons and see how she goes

other than that I still need to install the "make it go stuff"

Joe
sloperjoe is offline Find More Posts by sloperjoe
Last edited by sloperjoe; Dec 04, 2012 at 02:51 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:58 PM
United States, CO, Westminster
Joined Jul 2011
575 Posts
If you put out the planes i will have to try this that looks much better then the artech and GP F-86
chester2240 is offline Find More Posts by chester2240
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:32 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
You are the man!

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Nov 07, 2012, 01:10 PM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
hehee, aint the man yet Fred, gotta figure out where to stick everything, but I think it should all fit...

Joe
Old Nov 07, 2012, 01:55 PM
United States, CO, Westminster
Joined Jul 2011
575 Posts
are you gonna cut it in half to fit the fan?
chester2240 is offline Find More Posts by chester2240
Old Nov 07, 2012, 02:13 PM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
nope the fan fits right in through the wing saddle, I want to try to make the wing removable for access to all the components, or may just glue it on if I am satisfied with how everything fits....not sure yet but I'll get it worked out

Joe
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:13 PM
Flying Dutchman!
Nederland, FL, Emmeloord
Joined Sep 2011
368 Posts
My first micro edf experiment was like the one you just build but i've used a gws edf30 and Hyperion y12 5800kv on 2s.... To heavy but fly in a nice glide with full power :-)
3s make the fan explode and a tomahawk mini viper was the next plane to fly with the Hyperion motor and that's a blast I can tell you ;-)

My sabre was 1/20 as scale what's yours? I can try to find some pics of it if you want it do you use one hollow depron wing with main spar to? And what type of airfoil?
robertboxhoorn is offline Find More Posts by robertboxhoorn
Old Nov 08, 2012, 01:03 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,200 Posts
Nice stuff Joe!
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Nov 08, 2012, 02:11 AM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertboxhoorn View Post
My first micro edf experiment was like the one you just build but i've used a gws edf30 and Hyperion y12 5800kv on 2s.... To heavy but fly in a nice glide with full power :-)
3s make the fan explode and a tomahawk mini viper was the next plane to fly with the Hyperion motor and that's a blast I can tell you ;-)

My sabre was 1/20 as scale what's yours? I can try to find some pics of it if you want it do you use one hollow depron wing with main spar to? And what type of airfoil?
@ Robert,
dont know what scale just drew it up from a three view and took a guess at how big to make it, the wing isnt hollow, its two layers of $tree foam laminated together with spray adhesive then sanded to airfoil shape employing a tried and true formula I been using for awhile...I guess at the best airfoil shape then apply sanding guidelines and sand to those, its lite and strong and they fly quite well, thin low drag and high lift.

@Dave,
thanks, just another experiment that I "think" should work.....if I can get all the doodads stuffed in there

Joe
Old Nov 08, 2012, 02:13 PM
Fear me, I'm a space-duck.
Nederland, GE, Wageningen
Joined Nov 2011
288 Posts
Cool build! So you just sanded the box-shaped fuse in shape? I may want to try that once.

Robert, as you're another Dutchy, do you know of any good foam over here? The stuff I've found is way too heavy to weak for rc-planes. (I'll just keep it in English so I don't Dutch all over the thread )
hanzie is offline Find More Posts by hanzie
Old Nov 08, 2012, 03:09 PM
Flying Dutchman!
Nederland, FL, Emmeloord
Joined Sep 2011
368 Posts
Depron all the way ;-)

In zwolle is quartel die 2-3-5-6mm depron can deliver so that's good to use if you need special sizes else you can use graupner depron that haven't got a grain like wood got and you can go to the praxis where you can buy yellow foam for about 7 euro/sheet or go to the carpet shop or one isolation shop and ask for some test plates to see what you can use
robertboxhoorn is offline Find More Posts by robertboxhoorn
Old Nov 08, 2012, 03:54 PM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzie View Post
Cool build! So you just sanded the box-shaped fuse in shape? I may want to try that once.

Robert, as you're another Dutchy, do you know of any good foam over here? The stuff I've found is way too heavy to weak for rc-planes. (I'll just keep it in English so I don't Dutch all over the thread )
thanks Hanzie,
yep boxed up and sanded to shape, just trying to keep it simple

Joe
Old Nov 09, 2012, 03:03 PM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
ok,
everything is mounted and ready to go, as you can see I mounted the servos through the fuse sides so as not to impede the airflow,.. again wasnt sure how it would look, turns out its not too ghastly
so far I'am fairly happy with how its turned out, the servos are the 5g size...probably been better with 2g'ers...but ya use what ya have

Joe
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:04 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,481 Posts
that's amazing...awesome work man ! be sure to video the maiden
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:33 PM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
thanks KC, I'll do my best to video the flight....I'll hopefully do better than my last two video attempts.....long video, lots of sound...no jet in frame hat cam pointed in the wrong direction....should have my daughter where it huh then she can be the dorky lookin one standin in the field

Joe