SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Micubano, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:00 AM
Chad deQuevedo of Olyphant, PA
United States, PA, Olyphant
Joined Aug 2012
619 Posts
Discussion
Why I never throw anything out.

So last night was time to bind and try the DX6i to some bigger things, the mQX and the SR. I was going to try some mQX settings a guy on YouTube claimed were "Easy enough for an 8 year old to fly", but when he got to the throttle curve settings his advice was "Make sure you have it set to L and 0". What about the other 4 points on the curve? There is so much bad information out there, which is why I am glad have you guys here.

Alright! You got me. I have a 7 year old so I tried the YouTube guy’s settings. They were so tame I didn't even feel like I was moving. I finally found settings I liked at http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/blade-mqx.html. From there I bumped up a few things, trimmed the mQX out and hovered around my very cramped basement workshop for about 20 minutes. I even did a few very slow 360 spins, which I have never tried indoors before, and went hands free quite a few times. Up until the DX6i, I thought of the mQX as an outdoor multirotor. My winter is looking a little brighter.

The SR is why I am glad I don't throw things away. I went to bind the SR. Guess what? No bind plug. Damn. I have seen pics of them and read about them, but my used SR had no bind plug. This is only month 5 of my venture into all things RC related, so I don't have servo wires lying around yet. Or do I? Way over on the right side of the shelf full of parts and adhesives was the blown SC from my Venom Gambler with a servo plug attached to it! I cut the wires, twisted the top and bottom wires together, and had a bind plug. The SR went nuts when I bound it. I couldn't get it to stop. I double checked the settings and made sure all the setting were docile before turning it on. Turning off the TX seemed to make it worse! I ended up with the tail rotor stopped up against my leg. Finally I remembered my new best friend, the throttle hold. Why does that have to be off when you turn the DX6i on!?! I pulled the battery on the SR, turned off the TX, removed the bind plug and everything was better. Well, the tail motor was burned because my jeans kept the tail from spinning but I read here about how fast I may go through them. I had a few extras in the tool box. A quick soldering job later and I was back in business.

Because of the lack of space, when I left the ground it was brief. There is something really messed up on this SR. It is a lot like my used mSR was when I first got it, uncontrollable after 10 seconds. I will probably spend the next few weeks reading and adjusting. There is an entire set of SR based instructional videos on YouTube that I probably should watch again. It did come with almost an entire set of parts for the head because the previous owner couldn’t figure it out. I did notice that there is no feathering spindle in the bag of parts, so that is probably where I will start as that was a big part of the problem with the mSR. My goal is by spring to have the SR hovering hands free.
Micubano is offline Find More Posts by Micubano
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts