HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:18 PM
Fatalities caused by FPV: Zero
United States, OR, Springfield
Joined Jun 2011
521 Posts
Discussion
Eagle Eyes FPV Station Rapid Diversity Switching Problems

Yeah, just plunked down $90 for this fancy new FPV Station from readymaderc.com.

It's basically DOA.

It flips rapidly back and forth between two perfectly functioning Rx antennas (Brand new Helical and Skew Planar), about two to three times per second.

I only bought this thing for diversity, and also because I can have extra AV out ports for my in-flight video recording in case of a downed plane.

I have tried every thing I can think of, including switching the AV1 and AV2 inputs back and forth, flying away to get some distance, fiddling with the "blue screws" to get the video matching as close as possible.

I have tried adjusting the sensitivity down lower, up higher, etc.

I have been trying to get this item to work properly for 3 days now. Tonight, I tried to go to the eagle eyes website. I downloaded "Windows Application RELEASE version 10.04 " and installed it, but when I run it, it is called a "Data Recorder". Huh? I don't want a data recorder. I want a piece of software that will update this problematic item with the latest firmware, to see if this fixes the problem.

I have a half-dozen mini-B cords around, I have tried each one, all I get is "Windows does not recognize... blah blah blah".

I am running Windows 7. Is that too much for Eagle Eyes?

This is annoying, because I just uploaded a lengthy build video for my new FPV ground station for my viewers to watch and follow. I told them I would keep them posted as to how well this "FPV Ground Station" performs. They will be very disappointed to learn I bought what basically amounts to a $90 RCA "Y" adapter, because basically all I can use this plastic brick for is to split my video signal from ONE SINGLE antenna so I can record live video from my flight cam.

How To Build An Awesome FPV Groundstation! Helical and Skew Planar on Diversity (22 min 27 sec)

I would upload video of what my flight camera sees, but it would be pointless. Basically, it sees two perfectly clear pictures from each receiver, switching rapidly back and forth.

Update 11/7/2012: I have opened a ticket on their site...
glassdogangle is offline Find More Posts by glassdogangle
Last edited by glassdogangle; Nov 07, 2012 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Being nice to Eagle Tree, since I am actually getting help here...
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2012, 12:33 PM
Joined Jun 2011
521 Posts
I went out and tested again this morning.

I did two tests:

1) Right Hand Circularly Polarized setup:
Helical 9.5 bdi directional antenna on AV in 1
Skew Planar omni-directional on AV in 2 (also Skew Planar on plane)

and

2) Linear:
Patch antenna 8dbi on AV in 1
Rubber duckies on AV in 2 (and also Rubber duckie on plane)

I got the same effects with both antenna setups. It rapidly switched back and forth between antennas for absolutely no reason (both signals were just fine, but it kept switching 2-3 times per second)

Also, it seemed to consistently pick the worst signal as I flew farther out.

It alsmost seems as if this unit is working backwards, as if it does not like a clear signal, but prefers whichever signal is the crappiest.

Diversity sensitivity was set on 2 for the entire test phase. I would love to know what variables this device uses in it's attempt to find the best signal.

I am done messing with this thing for now.

I am having the electrical company come out to shut the power off to my house soon. I will be replacing my service panel (changing to 150A main breaker), running some new circuits, replacing some outdated 12-2 with 12-2 plus ground, and upgrading my service feeder conduit to bring it up to code. All this work requires pulling permits and extensive electrical experience. It's a piece of cake to me, though.

I can catch lighting bolts in a jar, but this Eagle Eyes FPV Station has gotten me totally perplexed...
Old Nov 06, 2012, 12:38 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
Hi, and sorry for the issues you are having. First, can you confirm whether you are using the RC305 receivers? There are some issues with some of these receivers/transmitters that cause a diversity issue with the EagleEyes. We have a firmware workaround that mitigates this, if that's what you are using.
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 06, 2012, 02:24 PM
Joined Jun 2011
521 Posts
I am not using the RC305 Receivers.

Am using (2) bevrc "BEV 1.3G RX for FPV" Rx's

I just spent about 2 hours trying to check/update firmware on my Eagle Eyes FPV Ground Station.

I have tried both the release version (10.04), and also the beta version (10.43).

I have installed the 10.04 on my main desktop (a custom gaming system I built myself with all new parts- running Windows 7), and also on an older Dell desktop running Windows XP.

I have installed the 10.43 version on my 2-year-old Compaq laptop.

I have tried using the software on both computers, using 3 different mini B USB cords.

I have had zero luck in getting either version of software to acknowledge the presence of this FPV Station.

I am suspecting a faulty unit. Any other ideas?
Old Nov 06, 2012, 03:07 PM
Joined Jun 2011
521 Posts
This is my complete setup list...

FPV Setup:

------ In the AIR: -----
Aircraft:
Skywalker with 1900mm Wing (bevrc.com $130)

Propulsion System:
Ogar/Skywalker Power System HC3516-1350 from readymaderc.com ($110)
Includes:
Castle Creations Thunderbird 54A Esc
Himax 3516-1350 350 watt Brushless Outrunner Motor
APC 9x6e Prop

Onboard Servos:
1 Hitec HS-5485HB Digital Servo (from local hobby shop - for panning GoPro) ($25)
4 Hitech HS-65HB Karbonite Gear servos for rud,elev,and 2 ailerons (ebay $88)

RC Receiver:
DragonLink UHF RC System Tx ($100 of $269 Tx and Rx combo)

Electronics Battery:
Parkzone 3s 1300mAh 15C LiPo (local hobby shop $30)
(powers Hornet OSD, Video TX, Futaba RX, FY31-AP)

Motor Battery:
Gens ace 5500mah 3S1P 11.1V 25C Lipo battery pack (hobbypartz.com $41)
(powers esc and Himax Brushless Motor above)

Video Tx and Antenna:
1.3G 800mW tx for 12V system ($50 bevrc.com)
Omni: 1.3 GHz Skew-Planar Wheel Whip Antenna (RHCP) ($33 readymaderc.com)

Feiyu Tech FY31-AP Flight Stabilizer trade edition with
GPS, Current Sensor and
Hornet OSD ($290 bevrc.com)

GoPro Hero HD cam for HD Recording of flights ($200 ebay)
16GB SDHC Flash Card for GoPro ($15 ebay)
BEV-KX181H-NTSC (Made by Sony - Live video Feed Cam) ($82 bevrc.com)

Misc parts and glues (carbon fiber, ply, etc.) $100

FLYING WEIGHT 5lb 9.5oz

=TOTAL COST IN AIR: $1294

----- On the GROUND: -----
RC Radio:
Futaba FP-8UAP PCM 1024 72mHz transmitter ($200 used)

Long Range UHF System:
DragonLink UHF RC System (attached to Futaba radio $169 of $269 combo)

RC Tx Aftermarket Battery Pack:
8 cell 9.6V 2500mAh high capacity battery pack for Futaba tx ($28 ebay)

Tripod:
Manfrotto MKC3-H01 (Target $50)

Rx Antennas (2):
Directional: Helical 1.3GHz 9.5dBi RHCP (urbandrones.com $70)
Omni: 1.3 GHz Skew-Planar Wheel Whip Antenna (RHCP) ($33 readymaderc.com)

Video Receivers (2):
1.3gHz Rx on 12V system ($30 ea. (x2) bevrc.com)

Diversity:
Eagle Eyes FPV Station with Plastic Case (readymaderc.com $90)

Ground Station Battery:
Zippy 3s 5000mAh 20C LiPo
(powers video goggles, both 1.3gHz video RXs, Eagle Eyes - ebay $25)

Video Goggles:
FatShark Dominator video goggles ($300 bevrc.com)

Flight Camera Video Capturing:
EasyCAP USB 2.0 Video Audio AV Capture ($7 ebay)
(I use my laptop to capture live video, but did not include cost here)

Misc parts, tripod, wires, connectors, solder, velcro, servo programmer, etc. ($150 easily)

=TOTAL COST ON GROUND: $1182

=TOTAL COST: $2476
Old Nov 07, 2012, 01:57 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
hi glassdogangle,

Wow, that's an impressive rig! Sorry about your ongoing issue. I do think that something is physically wrong with the EagleEyes. It's very odd, as the last thing we do as part of EE QA is to test the USB connection. The only other thing I can recommend trying is a USB hub, if you have one.

If not, please open a web ticket for us at http://ticket.eagletreesystems.com, and reference this thread, we'll get that replaced for you immediately. I'm interested in finding out what may have gone wrong with that unit. If a second unit exhibits the same problem, we'll need to dig deeper into what could be going on.

Regarding the diversity switching, once we get your EE connected to USB, we can provide you with firmware that I believe will resolve that issue for you.
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:57 AM
Joined Dec 2012
1 Posts
Hi,

Hi GlassDogAngle,

I decided to build the same ground station like yours and I just read that you have problem with Eagle Eyes Station that I already ordered...
Can you please tell me what have you done in this way? Have you changed or you decided to go with something else?
Can you give me an advice please: what OSD and autopilot will you choose if you had a chance to build an FPV aircraft again?
Will you think to change something on your equipment?

Thank you very much,
Colin from UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdogangle View Post
Yeah, just plunked down $90 for this fancy new FPV Station from readymaderc.com.

It's basically DOA.

It flips rapidly back and forth between two perfectly functioning Rx antennas (Brand new Helical and Skew Planar), about two to three times per second.

I only bought this thing for diversity, and also because I can have extra AV out ports for my in-flight video recording in case of a downed plane.

I have tried every thing I can think of, including switching the AV1 and AV2 inputs back and forth, flying away to get some distance, fiddling with the "blue screws" to get the video matching as close as possible.

I have tried adjusting the sensitivity down lower, up higher, etc.

I have been trying to get this item to work properly for 3 days now. Tonight, I tried to go to the eagle eyes website. I downloaded "Windows Application RELEASE version 10.04 " and installed it, but when I run it, it is called a "Data Recorder". Huh? I don't want a data recorder. I want a piece of software that will update this problematic item with the latest firmware, to see if this fixes the problem.

I have a half-dozen mini-B cords around, I have tried each one, all I get is "Windows does not recognize... blah blah blah".

I am running Windows 7. Is that too much for Eagle Eyes?

This is annoying, because I just uploaded a lengthy build video for my new FPV ground station for my viewers to watch and follow. I told them I would keep them posted as to how well this "FPV Ground Station" performs. They will be very disappointed to learn I bought what basically amounts to a $90 RCA "Y" adapter, because basically all I can use this plastic brick for is to split my video signal from ONE SINGLE antenna so I can record live video from my flight cam.

http://youtu.be/tBKXiVQPFWI

I would upload video of what my flight camera sees, but it would be pointless. Basically, it sees two perfectly clear pictures from each receiver, switching rapidly back and forth.

Update 11/7/2012: I have opened a ticket on their site...
MrGee is offline Find More Posts by MrGee
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:58 AM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGee View Post
Hi GlassDogAngle,

I decided to build the same ground station like yours and I just read that you have problem with Eagle Eyes Station that I already ordered...
Can you please tell me what have you done in this way? Have you changed or you decided to go with something else?
Can you give me an advice please: what OSD and autopilot will you choose if you had a chance to build an FPV aircraft again?
Will you think to change something on your equipment?

Thank you very much,
Colin from UK
Hi Colin,
this is a "dead" thread, because the same theme exist (a longer time) therehttp://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1674478

the diversity issue is nearly solved with 10.53. bill made some improvement again and is looking for testers.

i build some fpvs with et-gear and never thought about to change my equipment.
my co-pilot users rvsod, therefore i can compare ....

cu Thomas
Thint1 is offline Find More Posts by Thint1