SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:38 PM
Flightcomp.com
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2006
1,719 Posts
The next evolution of the NEO will be a molded tail with rohacell cores, I machined out the molds today...
ak79 is offline Find More Posts by ak79
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:45 PM
New Zealand, Waikato, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2011
819 Posts
I've got two questions.

how do you get the CA to stick to the teflon tubing.....I have tried and failed - its very nature means teflon doesn't allow things to stick to it.

second - stainless is not magnetic - so did you use piano wire or similar to intall pushrods inside withtthe magnets?
gtrbaby is offline Find More Posts by gtrbaby
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:53 PM
Flightcomp.com
Joined Apr 2006
1,719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrbaby View Post
I've got two questions.

how do you get the CA to stick to the teflon tubing.....I have tried and failed - its very nature means teflon doesn't allow things to stick to it.

second - stainless is not magnetic - so did you use piano wire or similar to intall pushrods inside withtthe magnets?
The teflon was pre etched. I got it from Tailboom.com, just to be sure I dragged to through some 220 grit paper. Sticks great.

Hmmmmm, the stuff I bought was stainless, but the magnets stuck to it. So really I'm at a loss on that one. For sure you could just send some piano wire through and do it that way.
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:31 PM
Michigan, USA
Joined Aug 2004
116 Posts
Neo Tiger

Ali,

Sorry I haven't posted pix of the Neo Tiger. Having some computer issues. I will hopefully get some posted this weekend. Enjoying the thread, very helpful. Where did you get the cool carbon shrouds to cover your top drive? Also, I was planning on running the teflon tubing for the control rods on the ouside of the fuse, exiting somewhere between the wing bolts. What is your opinion.

Best Regards,
Steve
jazz8388 is offline Find More Posts by jazz8388
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:54 PM
Flightcomp.com
Joined Apr 2006
1,719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz8388 View Post
Ali,

Sorry I haven't posted pix of the Neo Tiger. Having some computer issues. I will hopefully get some posted this weekend. Enjoying the thread, very helpful. Where did you get the cool carbon shrouds to cover your top drive? Also, I was planning on running the teflon tubing for the control rods on the ouside of the fuse, exiting somewhere between the wing bolts. What is your opinion.

Best Regards,
Steve
Hi Steve,

The carbon covers are jelly bean covers from SUSA, I just chopped them up to fit.

Running the tubes out side of the fuse should work out good. If I were to do that I would not run full length tube but rather little bits blaster 3 style. You should also be able to save wieght like that as well. Give it a go!
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:36 PM
Michigan, USA
Joined Aug 2004
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak79 View Post
Hi Steve,

The carbon covers are jelly bean covers from SUSA, I just chopped them up to fit.

Running the tubes out side of the fuse should work out good. If I were to do that I would not run full length tube but rather little bits blaster 3 style. You should also be able to save wieght like that as well. Give it a go!

Can anyone suggest a cheaper alternative to jelly bean covers?

Steve
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:18 PM
Flightcomp.com
Joined Apr 2006
1,719 Posts
They also have some clear plastic ones for much cheaper.
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:19 PM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
North Tustin, CA
Joined Oct 2008
1,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz8388 View Post
Can anyone suggest a cheaper alternative to jelly bean covers?

Steve
You could try looking here.
MattN is offline Find More Posts by MattN
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:38 PM
Poland, Śląskie, częstochowski
Joined May 2008
1,733 Posts
Grate work Ali! I couldn't contribute here do to My sick time . I'll post few tips and tricks that will make assembly fast and easy later. Pic are in making.

I would like to take opportunity and introduce NEO with some details on design and construction of this sailplane.
Wing
As a hart of sailplane I was decided to use G_T design Z2 airfoils that was optimized in 4p elliptical planform by Tomas Lee.
Airfoils are well known and documented. Z2 wing is great candidate, high performance yet forgiving.
I had a history of building G_T designs and I was always very pleased with results.
To build this plane only the best available materials was used. MGS resins, top quality Oxeon STF fabric, Aero standard glass, kevlar, carbon and other materials supplied by R&G. All carbon is high standard, HM, HS, low undulation.
Wing consist 40psi+ solid foam core, 0.063 HM CF rod spar, flaps are prefaced and has full span doubler for flatter-free operation. LE is wrapped with CF. Skins are clear coated and painted, STF D-box with disser. This specific disser design gradually spreads out and proportionally distribute loads.
This layup was tested by Me on number different LG wing designs and always performed beyond expectations. It's very durable and easy to fix. It will easy out-live any moldie.
Wing takes DS H-09 in top drive configuration. Possible driving flaps by servos mounted in side fuselage (JR DS285).
Fuse
I designed fuse. My goal was to strike balance between low drag and sufficient space for all configurations of servo and ballast. I wont to have long boom and small battery (180-220 2S lipo) so nose part is inch longer than most fuses. I end up with fuse that is slick and minimalistic.
Fuse is made of 80g STF and ST Uni 134g plus 50g glass in boom section and kevlar/glass/kevlar in front. It's stiff and has great hoop strength. No "boom check" problem here Nose wont collapse easy even on dart landings.
Plenty space for "ballast on a stick". I use 1/2oz and 3/4oz olive shape weights and number of prepared sticks from 1/2oz to 3oz.
Fuse employees M4 threaded inserts for wing mounting. JR DS285/290 are recommended.
Tail group
Edge H. airfoil aloud Me to build very small FF stab (smaller area - less drag) that is very effective. I used low drag v-mount.
Fin is based on HT-08 airfoil developed by Mark Drela. This symmetrical, thick foil makes stiff fin that wont easy stall on lunch. Planform is also symmetrical to reduce torsional loads no boom. Ruder is big, it has tremendous authority. Small deflection means less drag. Tail wag on lunch is small
This tail group was live tested on number of planes with variety of layups.
40psi+ core was used, STF HM tape and 25g glass. Fins are live hinged.
Seba
pyrsly is offline Find More Posts by pyrsly
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:16 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,267 Posts
[QUOTE=gtrbaby;23261246

second - stainless is not magnetic - so did you use piano wire or similar to intall pushrods inside withtthe magnets?[/QUOTE]

FWIW Some grades of stainless are magnetic.

http://www.mceproducts.com/knowledge...-dtl.asp?id=18

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:10 AM
Poland, Śląskie, częstochowski
Joined May 2008
1,733 Posts
Happy thanksgiving everyone!
Seba
pyrsly is offline Find More Posts by pyrsly
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:43 PM
Michigan, USA
Joined Aug 2004
116 Posts
Neo Tiger

Done! I received the Neo a couple of months ago but unfortunately it sat on the bench till now. Like Ali says there is not much work to do, most of the hard stuff is done when you get it. I decided to run the .030 carbon control rods along the outside of the fuse using teflon tubing. Balanced at 70mm, the auw weight is 10.6oz (I was aiming for 10oz). It needed 14g of lead in the nose, not sure if I can get some weight out and I 'm not sure if I need to. Because of the Z2 airfoil, my goal was to have something for the windy days so I'm hoping the weight will still allow for some float. The Neo has a very stiff feel and the quality is good! I am looking forward to getting in a few launches soon. Unfortunately, it's in the 30's and windy here in Michigan so the maiden will have to wait for nicer weather but I thought I would attach some pix.

Steve
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:34 PM
Flightcomp.com
Joined Apr 2006
1,719 Posts
Looks great! Your weight is about the same as mine. I flew mine today in calm warm conditions and did not notice any real penalties for the weight. So far I'm really happy with the plane.
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:36 PM
Flightcomp.com
Joined Apr 2006
1,719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrsly View Post
Happy thanksgiving everyone!
Seba
I hope you had some Polish turkey!
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:53 PM
Michigan, USA
Joined Aug 2004
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak79 View Post
Looks great! Your weight is about the same as mine. I flew mine today in calm warm conditions and did not notice any real penalties for the weight. So far I'm really happy with the plane.
Ali,

I'm pretty excited to give her a toss. I am pleased with how well the Neo went together. I am debating about moving my servos forward about another 1/4"- 3/8", this might eliminate a few more grams up front (not sure it is worth the effort). My intent was to have easy access to lipo and weight up front (see pix). Have you made any adjustments to your c.g.? How are your launches coming along?

Steve
Last edited by jazz8388; Nov 25, 2012 at 12:09 PM.