HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:47 PM
helicrazy
United States, AL, Robertsdale
Joined Nov 2009
339 Posts
Rave
First hobby king purchase

Well,I made my first hobbyking purchase last Thursday,four days later my package arrives,outstanding. It was 357 dollars worth of stuff and 44 to ship but well worth every penny,I purchased seven bluebird servos for a 50cc Pitts python electric build and everything I bought works great,yay I'm excited to have a great hk experience.
frank26all is offline Find More Posts by frank26all
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:49 PM
Team Thrasher
United States, IN, Valparaiso
Joined Sep 2011
177 Posts
its great until you fly with the stuff on your plane then its not so great!
3derik is offline Find More Posts by 3derik
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:03 PM
United States, CA, Pinole
Joined Jan 2009
791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3derik View Post
its great until you fly with the stuff on your plane then its not so great!
Nothing wrong with BlueBird servos except the no spare gear sets.
Also nothing wrong with HK as a vendor I've been buying stuff from them for years without a hitch

imgumby
imgumby is offline Find More Posts by imgumby
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:15 PM
Koo
A semi-advanced FPV newbie
United States, OH, Oxford
Joined Mar 2012
1,147 Posts
I love HK, placed 15 orders there so far. Spent a lot but everything is so cheap and the quality is usually great as well. Their turnigy LiPos are the best value ever
Koo is offline Find More Posts by Koo
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:29 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,417 Posts
The low prices are a lure, customer service when something goes wrong is like a root canal without novacaine. Some will tell you they have all these orders with no problems, other will cite horror stories. Use the search feature and see for yourself. There are countless example of crummy service.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:20 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,978 Posts
5 pages of purchases from HK have taught me ~
1) ultra cheap one stop shopping, huge diversity of products and product quality
2) much of what you're buying is cheap crap and it will eventually break... who knows it could already Be broken.
3) dont expect 24hr live product support to help. I didn't while talking to "Pam" from support and they sent me a new replacement car to test and review. blew my mind. all the other times they did nothing or ran me around. must be because this time I truly didn't believe they would help.

Basically I've learned to think of Hobbyking as Walmart, only where everything is shipped from china.

Edit: read reviews, don't buy poorly reviewed items
elvill is offline Find More Posts by elvill
Last edited by elvill; Nov 05, 2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 12:20 AM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
+1 Its a love/hate relationship. I love to hate them... I hate to love them... I love when I love them... and I freaking LOATH when I hate them.

I can't say I've ever been "thrilled" with them. But the prices are (usually) so low and the selection is (usually) so good that its worth it. I'd say they are my "go to" place to shop, but if someone had even close to the prices and selection, I'd probably jump ship because of all the problems I've had.

Like with most things from China these days... the quality is 50% to 80% as good, but the prices are 25% to 50% as much. So the balance is in their favor.
s_mack is offline Find More Posts by s_mack
Old Nov 06, 2012, 03:36 AM
United States, MN, St Paul
Joined Jan 2011
267 Posts
Hobbyking has allowed me to enjoy the hobby and get into it all at such a rapid rate, it's wonderful.
If I had to save for everything and was only able to buy better quality and USA brand products, I'd have very few planes. With hobbyking, I've been able to have a lot more fun. I crash. When I crash a $100 PNP model, or one with cheap equipment in it (due to pilot error) - I just put another one in the air and laugh it off. (I fix that cheap PNP model later, too of course. Or put the electronics in a scratchbuild later on!) I've got my nicer models too, but you better believe I warm up with my cheap hobbyking stuff to build my confidence first!

Hobbyking is phenomenal for scratchbuilding too. It's all about fun guys, and hobbyking pretty much always equals a lot more fun per dollar for me.

Yep, there are some issues with customer service and quality. But if you do your research before buying and don't expect everything to be perfect or last forever, you'll be a very happy camper.

Sure, you get what you pay for. But that doesn't mean that you can't still have a blast with it.
-Jeff
midnightsabotage is online now Find More Posts by midnightsabotage
Old Nov 06, 2012, 06:38 AM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
Still... hard to argue that they're perfect. I've now put in 22 orders with them... most of them large mind you (because I prefer to maximize value on shipping, I target a 6kg order), but I've not once had a shipment arrive with no problems.

My biggest issue is not customer service or "quality" in terms of "last forever"... my biggest issue is when they sell literal garbage and expect you to jump through hoops and pay return shipping to resolve the issue. Selling low quality figurative "garbage" is one thing... but 100% DOA get ZERO use out of it garbage... that's quite another. And I've had at least one example in every one of my orders. My latest was small... the order was perfect except for the "soft ferrite rings" where one was crushed into piecees. The packaging was perfectly intact, so someone deliberately sent it like that.. probably to avoid being fired (or whatever) over $0.02. We're talking $0.99 for the pack, and the other 4 of 5 were fine (and I only needed 2) so its not a big deal at all. Still... that's someone's trash. That's not a "product" at all, not even a low quality one. That's exactly the same as if they reached into their garbage and shipped me a random piece of refuse.

I picked out that insignificant example simply because its the latest. I've had many DOA electronics, crushed pieces of foam (again in perfect packaging... so it was crushed when someone intentionally placed it in the box), splintered carbon fiber...

There's also stupidity like they have these servo covers that they SAY fit "5, 8, 9, and 20g" servos. OK, I didn't stop to think about it (how can it fit both an 5 and a 20?) nor did I read the reviews... but they actually send a RANDOM SIZE that fits one of them! How insane is that? I got it and it didn't fit my 9g at all but it fit my 5g perfectly. I presumed I screwed up so I looked again and saw comments where others got one that was WAY too big (20g) for their 5 or 9g lol. I mean, come on... that's just dumb. Resolution? Send it back, at my expense. Yeah... right.

Still, I order from them.

I didn't think I would after one particularly large fiasco. I ordered > $600 a while back and they canceled the order due to a price mistake on one small item (their mistake, their decision to cancel the order). Whatever, I placed the order again... but they hadn't refunded the first. They kept insisting they did, but they didn't. I disputed it with PayPal and it went unchallenged and PayPal could easily see it wasn't refunded, so I eventually got my money back. That left a sour taste... but I keep telling myself it was a language barrier issue (which doesn't bother me at all - they are in China afterall)
s_mack is offline Find More Posts by s_mack
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:27 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
I ordered from Hobby king 3 weeks ago I will let you know what I think when my stuff gets here. I called them and they said my shipment is in the Hobby King system.
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Last edited by goldsworthy; Nov 06, 2012 at 07:33 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 06, 2012, 12:57 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank26all View Post
Well,I made my first hobbyking purchase last Thursday,four days later my package arrives,outstanding. It was 357 dollars worth of stuff and 44 to ship but well worth every penny,I purchased seven bluebird servos for a 50cc Pitts python electric build and everything I bought works great,yay I'm excited to have a great hk experience.
Glad to here everything went smooth with your order. Just remember to use Paypal so if you run into a problem in the future you have some buyer protection and CS.
valanti256 is offline Find More Posts by valanti256
Old Nov 06, 2012, 01:19 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank26all View Post
That's great to hear. It's great that we have so many vendors our there that are able to keep this hobby within economic reach of everyone. huge selection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
The low prices are a lure, customer service when something goes wrong is like a root canal without novacaine. Some will tell you they have all these orders with no problems, other will cite horror stories. Use the search feature and see for yourself. There are countless example of crummy service.
Frank, if you haven't seen it yet, you'll note that no matter how great of an experience you have, others will come in here with doom and gloom. Oh the service is horrible, their pricing structure is a "lure", and boy you better not have any CS problems. Take some advise though and do your own research. There are plenty of people who have had good and bad experiences with MANY vendors, including Tower, Horizon, Hobby Lobby, just to name a few. Even 3DHS is getting complaints lately. Also, not all customer service experiences will be bad, but some might. Keep in mind the volume this company does too. And as always, you pretty much get what you pay for. Their Durafly Vampire is one of the best planes I've ever flown, and yet their Cloudsky AXN floater was a huge disappointment. But then again, it was a RR plane for $50.00. Perspective.

Keep in mind almost any HK thread will eventually degenerate into a love/hate thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valanti256 View Post
Glad to here everything went smooth with your order. Just remember to use Paypal so if you run into a problem in the future you have some buyer protection and CS.

That is completely accurante, and balanced and reasonable advice that works with any vendor purchase. Also, try to back your PP purchase up with a credit card so you have two layers of protection.
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Old Nov 06, 2012, 01:34 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
Frank, if you haven't seen it yet, you'll note that no matter how great of an experience you have, others will come in here with doom and gloom. Oh the service is horrible, their pricing structure is a "lure", and boy you better not have any CS problems. Take some advise though and do your own research. There are plenty of people who have had good and bad experiences with MANY vendors, including Tower, Horizon, Hobby Lobby, just to name a few. Even 3DHS is getting complaints lately. Also, not all customer service experiences will be bad, but some might. Keep in mind the volume this company does too. And as always, you pretty much get what you pay for. Their Durafly Vampire is one of the best planes I've ever flown, and yet their Cloudsky AXN floater was a huge disappointment. But then again, it was a RR plane for $50.00. Perspective.

Keep in mind almost any HK thread will eventually degenerate into a love/hate thing.

That is completely accurante, and balanced and reasonable advice that works with any vendor purchase. Also, try to back your PP purchase up with a credit card so you have two layers of protection.
And the reason you so kindly quoted me is ????? It appears as though you aren't addressing me so really, you should remove the quote.

On a seperate note, As I suggested, people should use the search option for themselves, that way they aren't surprised when problems rear their head. Also be aware that on the internet, there are those who simply take pleasure in the arguement, their entertainment is dependant on being able to do that. I for one, do not care to venture into the realm of having something to say about everyone and everything. Since I had bad dealings with HK, I am more inclined to mention those items. It's not doom and gloom, it's also not the yellow brick road either. There is a reason people recommend paying with credit card or paypal, that way when you hit a CS brick wall you have recourse.

Last edited by Joe 1320; Nov 06, 2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 01:47 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
And you so kindly quoted me quote me is ????? It appears as though you aren't addressing me so you should remove the quote.

As I suggested, people should use the search option for themselves, that way they aren't surprised when problems rear their head.
Although I can't decipher what your first sentence says, I'm pretty sure I can use quotes here the way I want to. If you didn't think I was addressing you why are you responding to me?

I agreed with your comment about doing research before making purchases, everyone should do that in order to make informed decisions.
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Old Nov 06, 2012, 01:54 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
Although I can't decipher what your first sentence says, I'm pretty sure I can use quotes here the way I want to. If you didn't think I was addressing you why are you responding to me?

I agreed with your comment about doing research before making purchases, everyone should do that in order to make informed decisions.
That is because most times, using the quote means you are responding. If you aren't responding then there is no reason for a quote. so you're saying you weren't responding or addressing me? Then why quote?

Thomas, nobody is telling you what to do and I'm pretty sure you are going to do what you want no matter what anyone says. You make that pretty evident.