Discussion
Plane clips SUV

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs...s-airport.html
dll932 is offline Find More Posts by dll932
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:11 PM
Холодная война все еще здесь.
Joined Aug 2003
1,645 Posts
The bad thing is his approach was supurbe... Sorry he's giving it up.
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I am back, such as it is...
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:12 PM
Registered Broncos Fan!
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Sep 2007
687 Posts
Ouch!
n00b-E is offline Find More Posts by n00b-E
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:16 PM
D W
I love you man.
United States, NY, Pelham
Joined Sep 2002
2,743 Posts
Why give up? That's no way to be. It's not like your EVER gonna hit a car again. The odds are with you.
Get back on that horse!
D W is offline Find More Posts by D W
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:22 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,636 Posts
Actually, the approach looked way too shallow. I'd like to know if there was a vasi, papi or other visual approach aid in place. With a road right in the approach, there should be something there to help keep on glide slope. Any fault though is with the SUV. At a controlled field, he wouldnt be allowed to cross the approach like that with a plane on final even if it wouldnt poke into the glide slope.
HELModels is offline Find More Posts by HELModels
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:24 PM
Made in the USA
Joined May 2010
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWorks View Post
The bad thing is his approach was supurbe... Sorry he's giving it up.
Looked to me like he wasn't going to make the runway.
BE77 Pilot is offline Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:32 PM
D W
I love you man.
Joined Sep 2002
2,743 Posts
No flaps? No flaps practice or what? That's why he was shallow and trying to use every inch of runway?
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:36 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,636 Posts
Flaps? I remember getting my license there was a student from Holland and he dumped his flaps on takeoff and ended up in a drainage ditch. A week later after the FAA rode him, he was back in the air. The plane was totaled.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:48 PM
Холодная война все еще здесь.
Joined Aug 2003
1,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HELModels View Post
Actually, the approach looked way too shallow. I'd like to know if there was a vasi, papi or other visual approach aid in place. With a road right in the approach, there should be something there to help keep on glide slope. Any fault though is with the SUV. At a controlled field, he wouldnt be allowed to cross the approach like that with a plane on final even if it wouldnt poke into the glide slope.
Think Navy, it has to set down on the numbers... Air Force runways are littered all over with landing gear marks, next time look atthe runway of any Naval Air Station and see the difference.
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I am back, such as it is...
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:50 PM
D W
I love you man.
Joined Sep 2002
2,743 Posts
Shouldn't he have been slipping her in if this was an intentional no flap landing? Like the Gimli Glider?
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:56 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,636 Posts
Every runway at a civil airport of a certain category has what's called TDZ and it wont be the numbers. That's just bad though to have a road in the approach and the video shows why.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:45 PM
AustinTatious
Hurst, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,952 Posts
I knew that airport looked familiar on the pics I saw on the news. I've landed there dozens of times. my dad used to take me there when I was young to rent a plane and do touch n goes. yeap, dingy little road that crosses right in front of the Roth end of the runway. if yOu want to get to the east side you have to take it. Big sign clearly warning of aircraft. There used to be this really cool horse statue made out of welded spoons that had. red ruby eyes... really cool.

I have a friend that got in trouble by the FAA for dropping dummy bombs that hit the runway and did minor damage. it pissed someone at the airport off and they called the FISDO and reported that the runway had been bombed... lol that got their attention.

I can't find video of the incident but I find it sad the guy is going to give up his flying. it is likely the cars fault.
AustinTatious is offline Find More Posts by AustinTatious
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:54 PM
AustinTatious
Joined Jul 2003
1,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HELModels View Post
not all airports have visual glide path indicators. IIRC northwest regional,does not, or at least didnt used to have them. In fact I have landed there at night from the south and there was nothing but blac south of the runway. a very dangerous condition with no Papi or vasi.

however, you are correct, that approach was shallow.... M guess is that for some reason he was doing a no flap landing and that was dliberate.;lcxvxcx
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:09 PM
AustinTatious
Joined Jul 2003
1,952 Posts
Ok, upon closer examination, it appears that the pilot may be somewhat at fault.
Below is the current Google Image. As you can see at the northern most end of the runway there is the road. Also there is a displaced threshold. This was not there when I used to fly into the airfield. What you see is that there are some yellow arrows pointing south on the runway to a white line panted perpendicular on the runway. What this designates is that for landing aircraft, the white line is the earliest touchdown point (although departing aircraft can use this portion of the runway for the takeoff roll)

This means that the aircraft was definitely way too low.... The whole point of that displaced threshold is to keep the approaching aircraft high enough to not hit any cars. the displaced threshold is 400 feet down the runway. there is a VASI for both runways, although they could have been non operational. the pilot does have a responsibility to stay on that glide path even during a visual approach.

FWIW, on a normal 3 degree glide path where the aiming point is 1000 feet down the runway (from the threshold, normally designated by two thick white lines running parallel to the runway one being on each side of the centerline), you will cross the runway threshold at approximately 50 feet AGL.

Still looks like he was doing a no flap and planning to drag it in... He may have even been practicing a forced landing, as typically you come in flat like that and float to your designated landing spot ( has to be within a certain distance for FAA Practical test standards)

Last edited by AustinTatious; Nov 05, 2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:41 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,636 Posts
That's good info AustinTacious. Those markings are there for a reason.

I remember flying at night was cool but scary. I flew into a big airport in NC at night and my gyro had gone out. The controller said no problem when I couldnt hit the headings he wanted. I told him the gyro went out. He told me to do standard rate turns using the indicator and would say stop standard rate. I told an instructor the next day how it went and he flipped out that the controller would have me do that on a VFR flight.