SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:03 AM
Joined Oct 2012
12 Posts
Discussion
hybrid multirotors&planes

hello friends!!! just imagine why cant we power a multirotor or a rc plane in hybrid electric concept??? with combination with uav system we can make a long range uav!!
raghavendran.dme is offline Find More Posts by raghavendran.dme
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:17 AM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghavendran.dme View Post
hello friends!!! just imagine why cant we power a multirotor or a rc plane in hybrid electric concept??? with combination with uav system we can make a long range uav!!
Why don't you tell us why we can't.
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:13 AM
Italia, Piemonte, Biella
Joined Feb 2011
394 Posts
don't you just love these 'low post count' users that come up with brilliant ideas without bothering to do some simple research first and think we are all stupid to spend $$ on lipos to fly just 10 minutes....

long range (depends what you mean for long range..) uav exist, simply not at a hobby level.
Hybrid ?? hmm.. have you ever held an alternator in your hand? the ones you have in your car.. they generate usually around 200W, and with a 10kg weight... that's why we aren't all flying hybrids...
The most hybrid you can go (and someone has already tried it) is to use a combustion engine to drive big props for lifting, and use small electric motors only for attitude control. In the "scratchbuilt" sub forum there is a recent post of something similar, and i'm sure i saw a video on YT several months ago of a similar machine... but i guess it just isn't worth all the hassle.
thepelell is offline Find More Posts by thepelell
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:36 AM
Joined Oct 2012
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepelell View Post
don't you just love these 'low post count' users that come up with brilliant ideas without bothering to do some simple research first and think we are all stupid to spend $$ on lipos to fly just 10 minutes....

long range (depends what you mean for long range..) uav exist, simply not at a hobby level.
Hybrid ?? hmm.. have you ever held an alternator in your hand? the ones you have in your car.. they generate usually around 200W, and with a 10kg weight... that's why we aren't all flying hybrids...
The most hybrid you can go (and someone has already tried it) is to use a combustion engine to drive big props for lifting, and use small electric motors only for attitude control. In the "scratchbuilt" sub forum there is a recent post of something similar, and i'm sure i saw a video on YT several months ago of a similar machine... but i guess it just isn't worth all the hassle.

well see buddy!! i am not telling this concept just from my mind ok! i am a engineer in hyundai in vehicle testing and r&D! do u know what is a weight of hyundai i10 alternators weight??? roughly 3kg!!! i am not talking about a truck's alternator!!! i have seen some guys made hexacopter capable of lifting 40 kg.. i think u didnt see 3 hp or plus motors are available under 2 kg!! u dont need a 80 hp engine to power a alternator right!!!!

instead of teasing and make kidding with people who have an idea of a new concept, just try to help!! just try to find an idea!!! lot of things we see in real are sci fi once ago!! dont forgot u r not inventor of the multicopter..

if u cant help just stay away and mind ur own buissness
Last edited by raghavendran.dme; Nov 05, 2012 at 10:38 AM. Reason: forgoted to add some
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:43 AM
United States, TX, El Paso
Joined Apr 2012
527 Posts
+1. Let the guy talk.

Too many negative post. Same kind of negative guys who said the telephone would not be successful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghavendran.dme View Post
well see buddy!! i am not telling this concept just from my mind ok! i am a engineer in hyundai in vehicle testing and r&D! do u know what is a weight of hyundai i10 alternators weight??? roughly 3kg!!! i am not talking about a truck's alternator!!! i have seen some guys made hexacopter capable of lifting 40 kg.. i think u didnt see 3 hp or plus motors are available under 2 kg!! u dont need a 80 hp engine to power a alternator right!!!!

instead of teasing and make kidding with people who have an idea of a new concept, just try to help!! just try to find an idea!!! lot of things we see in real are sci fi once ago!! dont forgot u r not inventor of the multicopter..

if u cant help just stay away and mind ur own buissness
Jeffem62 is offline Find More Posts by Jeffem62
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:55 AM
Joined Oct 2012
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffem62 View Post
+1. Let the guy talk.

Too many negative post. Same kind of negative guys who said the telephone would not be successful.
correct buddy!!!! thanks for ur positive reply!!! i ll soon share my updates here!!!

LETS BUILD THE NEW GEN OF MULTI ROTORS
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:58 AM
we dont NEED roads!
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2012
3,330 Posts
Good idea: yes

Cost effective: no

Solar powered???
AcroFPV is offline Find More Posts by AcroFPV
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:03 AM
United States, MI
Joined Nov 2003
755 Posts
I say let him talk also!!!! I've often thought about a hybrid system myself. Motorcycle alternators are also small. I also think there are some very small magnetos that can be found also. And then there is the option of using a brushed motor with a small rc nitro motor turning it should in theory produce some current but not very much dont know for sure havent tried it.
Hamanu is offline Find More Posts by Hamanu
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:04 AM
we dont NEED roads!
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2012
3,330 Posts
Also keep in mind that there are some new things in the works for batteries that will make them even lighter and more efficient.

Soon fossil fuels will be a thing of the past.
AcroFPV is offline Find More Posts by AcroFPV
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:05 AM
User
Colorado
Joined Oct 2004
1,424 Posts
For long-range and/or heavy lift, it is the inherent inefficiency of the multi-rotor (small rotor diameter) that is the limiting factor. Look into the aerodynamics of the design.
rmteo is offline Find More Posts by rmteo
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:15 AM
United States, MI
Joined Nov 2003
755 Posts
Check these links out the second one seems to be more inline with what you are talking about

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230961
IAI's Bardelas VTOL UAV (2 min 56 sec)
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:16 AM
United States, MI
Joined Nov 2003
755 Posts
Well it just embedded the youtube link which is the second one lol
Last edited by Hamanu; Nov 05, 2012 at 11:18 AM. Reason: typo
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:42 AM
Joined Oct 2012
12 Posts
just an idea guys!! a dc motor can also be a generator right!! is it possible to reverse process a bldc as a generator??
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:47 AM
Joined Oct 2012
12 Posts
I think nitro engines are best for driving alternator coz they light weight nd developing good power and also a high rpm!! why cant we step down the speed by gears to create more torque!! an 80hp car alternator capable of developing its max power within 3000 rpm!! a nitro engine's max Rpm 8000 to 12000!! so we can step down right!!
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:52 AM
Joined Oct 2012
12 Posts
if my calculations are correct we can a hybrid unit within 6 to 8 kg or 10 kg max!! is there is no multirotors or rc planes capable of carry it!!! hobby king have 150 cc gas replacement motors which capable of developing 11 hp with 3.5 kg weight!!! what u think about this?