HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:58 AM
Hundredaire
Newcastle Australia
Joined Oct 2008
1,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glidesailrc View Post

Stehl got anything you want built? I could get something done by xmas between gliding trips.
PM sent
mams1 is offline Find More Posts by mams1
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2012, 04:04 AM
I was 1eyed But I fixed that
Central Coast NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2007
1,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johno1 View Post
Kool a new thread to post on I've got a zipper on the
Bench and a hot wire in the making Steve are u going to
Nz for the dsing in dec

We need pics Johnno.
HUMPHREY1957 is offline Find More Posts by HUMPHREY1957
Old Nov 07, 2012, 04:10 AM
Australia, NSW, Shellharbour
Joined Feb 2007
707 Posts
I will try and post up tomorrow of the zipper
Cause it won't upload from my phone don't now y
johno1 is offline Find More Posts by johno1
Old Nov 07, 2012, 04:24 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,907 Posts
A Phoenix glider that I still can't get to run cool.

I'm running a 40amp ESC with 3530 1100kv and a 9x6 folding prop. I only just realised today that ever since I programmed it to have brake in as to stop the prop spinning on glide its been giving me grief. Is there any way I can stop the folding prop from spinning when in glide without brake setting?
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Nov 07, 2012, 04:45 AM
use the 4s luke, use the 4s...
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Sep 2012
864 Posts
Can you set it to brake for say 5 seconds instead of a constant brake whenever there is no throttle?
scrub monkey is offline Find More Posts by scrub monkey
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:31 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrub monkey View Post
Can you set it to brake for say 5 seconds instead of a constant brake whenever there is no throttle?
Nah don't think so, it's just a plush ESC so no fancy bits. I do have a programming card but its set for either on or of and that's it.

I'm going to try it with no brake again tomorrow and if that works I may have to just be happy with that.
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:55 AM
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Sep 2012
864 Posts
Try with a car escmaybe. I'd like to do that one day. Just to see people's faces as you taxi out onto the strip backwards
Old Nov 07, 2012, 06:42 AM
Joined Nov 2004
1,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve wenban View Post
Good to know some dimension and all up weight when your done too , nothing worse than using up your weight allowance on an empty box mines is 2.5 mtrs long x900 x900 so far it only weighs 2 kg but needs a lid yet
Box is 1.7mts long and shaped a bit like a triangular ute box 600mm wide and 400mm high, top will angle from about 100mm.

Expected weight is just under 10kg but very stong and will last a long time, not just the trip. (I have 40kg allowance and about 10kg of planes)

2Kg is very light when you consider the amount of material in a box that size.
AUSELECTRIC is offline Find More Posts by AUSELECTRIC
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:20 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,438 Posts
Yeah probably because its most air in between plastic sheer, a lot of the guys are using the corro box now light cheap and strong and they are pretty much indestructible even for the baggage handlers . 3 of the Kiwi guys have them and I'm sure they will let you know including Alex
steve wenban is offline Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Nov 07, 2012, 01:43 PM
Australia, VIC, Carrum Downs
Joined Oct 2012
192 Posts
Hey love the thread

I’ve started my Bixler2 on Monday, (nothing fancy like the planes you guys have though :P ).

It came as a Kit, first plane I had to build everything up, second RC plane ever, and I’ve only flown for about 20seconds at that haha. My Cessna is in reserves until I build up some skill so I don’t ruin it.

Had a few problems while building the Bixler2, since I had never done any soldering in my life before this, my brother showed me the basics after I had bought myself a soldering station.

It all we great, until I saw I kind of screwed up the length of cable from the motor to the ESC haha. Soldered the 4mm gold connecters inside the fuse where I won’t ever be able to get to them again unless I cut a hole into the fuse. Would not have been such a big problem… if I didn’t get the damn cables wrong from motor<>ESC haha, so I had to cut the heat shrink away from the ESC itself and rewire the PCB. What a way to learn

Also had some problem with the glue I used, I asked here in the bixler2 forum what glue to use, and people said Gorilla Glue is great. So I went out and bought it, when it came time to gluing… Didn’t really think it out too much became a massive mess and got glue ALL OVER my hands, its 3 days later and the bloody glue is still stuck on my hands a bit.
Since I was handling the plane a lot with sticky hands some of the decals came off from the fuse, so I just stripped it all off and will replace it with something else later.

But all in all I think the plane came out pretty well, the gluing wasn’t that amazing, since the glue expands a little bit, there were some random holes between the two halves of the fuse, so I used high grit sand paper to smooth it out then the High strength fiber tape from HK pretty much down the whole seam of the fuse to close up little gaps and make it smoother, came out looking great.

I also had a problem with the stupid screws to secure the wings to the body, what a dumb method. I just used some more of the strong fiber tabe on top and bottom to keep the wings in place.

The actual build of the plane is now finished, just have to program my TGY 9x TX a little, and figure out how to set up the flaps since I didn’t buy the servo reverser… will try and use the three position switch, and have two flaps down settings.

Well anyway, here are some random photos of the finished plane.
(Sorry for the long post o.o got carried away, still on a bit of a high, really enjoy this hobby, even just the building part of it. Yet to really go out flying lol.)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7iqaoxsbfaoym8l/1.JPG

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cchxvzvae83pab6/2.JPG
My dodgy job at the ESC, haha

https://www.dropbox.com/s/obdeu9neig07cvh/3.JPG

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b0gvyn2lw7sm11a/4.JPG
The strong fiber tape to secure wing to body and hold lid where the cables are to servos.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3n194phmqt7zank/5.JPG
The fiber tape over the seam of plane.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iwe611urdb74vzm/6.JPG
I bought the 40amp ESC/2200KV motor since I was building a Kit, thought I’d get the higher KV/smaller prop.
I have a 5x5 prop on right now, and have two 6x4 props in tool box to try as well.
mdem is offline Find More Posts by mdem
Old Nov 07, 2012, 02:58 PM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,319 Posts
Cheers Gouch, good job mdem, it is amazing where glue will end up, a little bit will definately go a long way ) you will definately learn some new skills with this game, with each build pushing your boundaries a little bit further, stick with it and have fun bud!

Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:42 PM
I was 1eyed But I fixed that
Central Coast NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2007
1,705 Posts
Welcome to the world of wireless mdem.

Like he said. You will learn lots as you progress in this hobby / sport.

The Bixler looks great.
The main deal is that it works. You wont see fingerprints on a fly by.
HUMPHREY1957 is offline Find More Posts by HUMPHREY1957
Old Nov 07, 2012, 06:41 PM
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Sep 2012
864 Posts
Well the order of servos and that for the profile yesterday. So the profile will be off the bench this afternoon hopefully
Old Nov 07, 2012, 09:22 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MclF1 View Post
would that be Spyda00's one he sold buy any chance ?
That would be the one...
Mistro is offline Find More Posts by Mistro
Old Nov 08, 2012, 02:46 AM
wyong, NSW, Aust
Joined Apr 2005
401 Posts
It looks like I will soon have two slope monkeys on my bench which I will aim to have finished for xmas.
glidesailrc is offline Find More Posts by glidesailrc