HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:41 AM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,768 Posts
very nice indeed. I especially like the adjustable motor thrust; filed away for future reference!

Steve
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:15 AM
China, Guangdong, Shenzhen
Joined Feb 2012
402 Posts
This Spit should fly very well with that weight! I am a big fan of tissue covering, are you going to dope it? I have some of the new water based tissue adhesive and finish, but have never tried it, my experience with tissue always involved the classic dope approach, love the smell of that stuff!
conrad907 is offline Find More Posts by conrad907
Old Dec 25, 2012, 08:03 AM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
826 Posts
Sure, classic dope. With the smell and all!
gupi is offline Find More Posts by gupi
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:35 AM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
826 Posts
I decided to use magnets for wing attachment since that proved pretty useful in my Herr Bonanza conversion. It holds the wing quite firmly.

Then i built the wing fairings that are so typical for the Spitfire. It proved a bit more difficult than i thought. It would have been much easier if the wing wasn't removable. I think it'll look alright in the air.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:19 AM
Heads up...
United States, VA, Stafford
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gupi View Post
I decided to use magnets for wing attachment since that proved pretty useful in my Herr Bonanza conversion. It holds the wing quite firmly.

Then i built the wing fairings that are so typical for the Spitfire. It proved a bit more difficult than i thought. It would have been much easier if the wing wasn't removable. I think it'll look alright in the air.
The method I used on my Guillows P-51 was to attach the wing separated by wax paper and build as if the wings were attached. Your Spits looking very nice though.
RMCCOR7737 is offline Find More Posts by RMCCOR7737
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:38 AM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
826 Posts
Actually i thought about that - but after I glued the first balsa parts to the fuselage. Let's see how it turns out after covering.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:50 PM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
826 Posts
I've got the tail feathers hinged and covered. I used only small strips of CA hinge to keep the forces needed to move the control surfaces low.

After some thinking about the best way to color this bird i decided to cover in white tissue first and later use rattle can Tamiya colors to color her.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:02 AM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,836 Posts
Looking good!
A suggestion, fill the area where the vertical fin attaches to the fuselage from the keel down to the next stringer with balsa, then sand to shape. It will give the tissue something to adhere to in that area. I usually fill the entire area from the vertical to horizontal stabilizers to get a nice smooth surface because covering never seems to go on smooth in that little wedge shaped area due to the compound curves.

Glenn
glewis is offline Find More Posts by glewis
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:40 AM
China, Guangdong, Shenzhen
Joined Feb 2012
402 Posts
Somethings never go out of style, like well executed tissue covering. Great choice Gupi.
conrad907 is offline Find More Posts by conrad907
Old Jan 08, 2013, 06:35 PM
Heads up...
United States, VA, Stafford
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Looking good. I really need to get back into tissue. I just love the way it looks when completed.
RMCCOR7737 is offline Find More Posts by RMCCOR7737
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:51 AM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,627 Posts
Tissue and dope... and your Spit... beauty!
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:21 AM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
826 Posts
I covered the fuselage. I took my time and used at least two parts of tissue for each bay - one port side and one starboard side. It turned out very nicely i think.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:08 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,665 Posts
Beautifully done gupi - makes me rather sad about the litespan on my TA152!
Sopwith Mike is online now Find More Posts by Sopwith Mike
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:58 PM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
826 Posts
Thanks guys!

Glenn: actually I tend to avoid sanding where I can because I hate it. So I tried to get away with the kits original wood. It worked better than expected I think.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:11 AM
Austria, Vienna
Joined Jan 2013
3 Posts
I've moved to Vienna and your build has inspired me to build the same plane. Your pictures are such a help. Can you tell me where I can buy this model in Vienna and also, where can you fly it?
rtcina is offline Find More Posts by rtcina