HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:39 PM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
741 Posts
Ok, it's been quite some time since i made some progress on the Spit mostly due to a little side project that came to my mind one weekend:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1773740

This being finished - although not yet maidened due to bad weather - progress continued on the Spit again. Details and images will be online soon.
gupi is offline Find More Posts by gupi
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:04 AM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
741 Posts
Ailerons added and wings joined

Since the wing is pretty thick i managed to find 2.5 grams servos that fit completely in the wing. I mounted them in the most in-board rib and made an internal linkage to the aileron. This is the first time i did this because before i did only torque rods or standard linkage. It works nicely!

The aileron throw isn't 3D but enough for our purposes. I have to limit servo travel even though i used the smallest arm possible.

Then i joined the wing segments using about scale dihedral (6 degrees).
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:24 AM
Flying Low
United States, VA, Petersburg
Joined Mar 2012
572 Posts
Looks awesome
cbarnes0061 is online now Find More Posts by cbarnes0061
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:15 AM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,644 Posts
Nice work, gupi. I really like your internal aileron linkage.

Steve
Steve85 is online now Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:23 AM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,713 Posts
Yeah, I like the internal linkage too, a very elegant solution. I might have to 'borrow' that idea.
Only drawback to your servo mounting system is if one of the servos dies it's going to be major surgery to replace it. Or maybe you have an elegant solution for access that I don't see?

And an open note to Guillows, why don't you laser cut lite ply and dump that useless vinyl crap that nobody uses?
Glenn
glewis is offline Find More Posts by glewis
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:15 PM
Heads up...
United States, VA, Stafford
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Being an X-Guillows conversioneer, you got my attention.
RMCCOR7737 is offline Find More Posts by RMCCOR7737
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:46 PM
China, Guangdong, Shenzhen
Joined Feb 2012
402 Posts
I agree on the aileron linkage, looks good. Anything to clean up the air going across the wing is worthwhile I think.
Conrad
conrad907 is offline Find More Posts by conrad907
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:00 AM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
741 Posts
Thanks everyone.

Glenn, I like to have access to servos after completion, too. I had dying servos more often than I liked, so sometimes you need to swap them. I have chosen the compromise of having to open the covering to get to the servo because I liked the idea of an internal linkage so much.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 02:46 AM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
741 Posts
The time before Christmas isn't exactly the time when you get much done on your builds especially as father of two little kids.

Still i managed to squeeze in some buidling: i built the access hatch for battery and RC equipment.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:08 AM
China, Guangdong, Shenzhen
Joined Feb 2012
402 Posts
Looking real good. How will you cover this Gupi?
conrad907 is offline Find More Posts by conrad907
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:53 AM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
741 Posts
Thanks. I've not decided on the color scheme yet but i'll definitely cover it in classic Japanese tissue.

I've found some pictures of nightfighter Spitfires that would be easy to realize - because they're mostly black. It would also be easy to keep it light since i have black colored tissue so i wouldn't have to paint it.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 03:56 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,713 Posts
You might want to consider laying the battery flat and extending it up into the cowl.
Not hard to plan for now. You can extend the battery mounting plate to protrude into the cowl and have room to shift the battery around for balance.

Glenn
glewis is offline Find More Posts by glewis
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:14 PM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
741 Posts
Glenn,

I'll keep that in mind. The final battery placement will be decided when i've got the tail covered and linked to the servos. If then she balances with the upright battery - fine. Otherwise i'll try to move the battery into the cowl.

Yours, gupi
Old Dec 23, 2012, 01:42 AM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
741 Posts
More progress on the RC equipment. I built a motor mount out of 0.4mm ply and beefed up the firewall with the same ply. The motor mount is detachable and allows to set the thrust line with washers. Nylon bolts, nuts and washers are used. The motor is attached using nylon bolts, too.

A stupid flaw in my hatch was encountered, too. I had the front side mini-magnets placed below the upper motor mount bolts. So i had to move them up.

Other than that she develops nicely. I taped her together for rough CG test and currently she balances too far front. Cool! I expect to add weight in the tail as the rudder and elevator isn't linked to the servos yet. Covering will add weight, too.

Current total weight including battery is 152 grams. Very good!
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:36 AM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
2,792 Posts
Absolutely beautiful!
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member