Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 04, 2012, 01:47 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,814 Posts
Help!
Tinting Canopies

I want to tint my canopy, but there are some areas I do not want to tint. Can I mask off the areas I do not want tinted, or will the RIT dye bleed through the tape and look crappy?

Thanks,

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Who Appreciates Your Work?
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2012, 07:28 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,064 Posts
I've never had much luck with rit tinting. These days I just use polycarbonate paint (for cars), and buy 'smoke tint'.

Given that it's a polycarb paint I'd think you could mask and spray but I'd test it first.
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:02 AM
Boston, MA subburb
Joined Sep 2004
1,180 Posts
I don't think you will have much success with masking (blue painter's) tape in a Rit soak environment - I could see the tape lifting off half-way through.

Alan

BTW I had great success with Rit die with the 'plastic' canopy that came with a kit but when I tried to soak a canopy made from a soda bottle, Rit did nothing. I plan to try some spray paint on the inside of an early test canopy.
Al Offt is offline Find More Posts by Al Offt
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:04 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,814 Posts
I was afraid of that. Guess I'll forgo the non tinted areas.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Who Appreciates Your Work?
Old Nov 05, 2012, 07:14 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Offt View Post
I don't think you will have much success with masking (blue painter's) tape in a Rit soak environment - I could see the tape lifting off half-way through.

Alan

BTW I had great success with Rit die with the 'plastic' canopy that came with a kit but when I tried to soak a canopy made from a soda bottle, Rit did nothing. I plan to try some spray paint on the inside of an early test canopy.
Hmm, interesting, that may explain why rit does nothing for me. I pull my own canopies for PET-G plastic (basically the same stuff as coke bottles) but I know a lot of store bought canopies are acetate.

Food for thought anyhow.
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:42 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
881 Posts
Hi guys, I have a canopy that I am trying to tint. I would like to replace the heavy canopy on my F22 with this:

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352169380.128484.jpg
Views: 32
Size: 120.4 KB
Description:

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352169417.164182.jpg
Views: 30
Size: 96.1 KB
Description:

and then tint it to look like:

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352169438.928579.jpg
Views: 44
Size: 33.1 KB
Description:

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352169464.326044.jpg
Views: 29
Size: 106.7 KB
Description:

I purchased some Decoart Acrylic Translucents in the color orange and thought I will rinse the inside of the canopy with the orange and then back it with some Chrome rattle can paint.

Has anyone else tried something like this with any success?
WhalleyB0Y is offline Find More Posts by WhalleyB0Y
Old Nov 07, 2012, 04:12 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
881 Posts
My experiments with the paint on a piece of scrap milar proved unsuccessful. When sprayed against on the milar for what would be the inner surface, the results on the outside were not chrome, not even shiny. Just a dull grey from behind the orange translucent. The chrome would work well if it was sprayed over the top of the canopy rather than from within it. I just don't think that is the way I want to paint it.
WhalleyB0Y is offline Find More Posts by WhalleyB0Y
Old Nov 08, 2012, 02:01 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,210 Posts
I did some Chrome trim tape on a Midwest AT-6 canopy.outside,then sprayed it with automotive 2 part clear..It held up a couple of seasons,but nothing wants to stick to the plastics we use...That's one of the reasons they paint car bodies inside ,apart from the wear and tear on the outside.

A scrap piece of canopy material,masked off with that new sealing painter's tape would be an interesting test for dye.

Two canopies ,one over the other,may be a solution-one painted,one dyed....the painted one cut out as the framework.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back to square one !
Old Nov 08, 2012, 08:19 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,692 Posts
I routinely paint soda bottle plastic. Always on the inside surface by first sanding the plastic with 400grit paper and then spray painting.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Nov 09, 2012, 07:17 AM
Boston, MA subburb
Joined Sep 2004
1,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
I routinely paint soda bottle plastic. Always on the inside surface by first sanding the plastic with 400grit paper and then spray painting.
Thanks for the sanding tip. I'll give it try this weekend with some left-over Krylon I have on the shelf.

Alan
Al Offt is offline Find More Posts by Al Offt
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:21 AM
Joined Oct 2010
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
I was afraid of that. Guess I'll forgo the non tinted areas.

Frank
Just a thought. There are liquid masking products that might work if they will hold up to a dunking. Plus, you would have to apply it on both sides of the canopy to work as you intend.

However, it might be worth looking at.

This is just one I found with a quick search:

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/div/div3020.htm
Treeline is offline Find More Posts by Treeline
Old Nov 09, 2012, 03:57 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,809 Posts
Tinting & Colouring Clear Canopies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
I want to tint my canopy, but there are some areas I do not want to tint. Can I mask off the areas I do not want tinted, or will the RIT dye bleed through the tape and look crappy? Thanks, Frank
Tinting plastic with dye is all or nothing.
Most now use the specially formulated spay tint colours by Tamiya and other RC Car body manufacturers which are easily masked for effect.

Please refer to "What Colours Do We Fly, Tips for Better Aircraft Visibility", which is a composition of previous posts.
"Tinting & Colouring Clear Canopies - David Tatosian & others", will be found in lower quarter of the document.

Much more below sub sections:
"Colours & Visibility for models"
"Covering & Painting"
"Paints, Colour Charts, Mix Formulae & Strippers & How to spray F/Glass and ABS etc")
under
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Alan T.
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 04:42 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,809 Posts
Painting is not that difficult. Use a vinyl tape to mask or even electrical tape. Use lite coats to get the coverage you want. Any of the "candy" colors can be used or the "tinting" colors also. Painting the inside of the canopy is best, IMO, so no fuel proofing is necessary. If you must paint the outside, sand the whole canopy with some 800 grit, wet. Paint where you want the tint, then clear coat the whole canopy. It will shine like it was new. All the sanding scratches go away.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FAA & Model avaition
Old Nov 09, 2012, 07:42 PM
USA, PA, Westmoreland Co.
Joined Aug 2008
1,261 Posts
the plastic modelers have some techniques that ought to apply to RC canopies

http://www.arcarm.com/tnt1/001-100/T...es-Gok/00.shtm
jonquinn is online now Find More Posts by jonquinn